iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

We do both here Scott, but in the case of the load on that forwarder, that wont be chipped in the woods I would bet. When total chipping in the woods they take tops and all. Most chip operations will use a feller buncher to "bunch" skids of wood in a accessable spot the usually a grapple skidder will take it on to the landing.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mapleveneer

Quite an interesting thread of posts and photos.  Too bad I can't sit still for long enough to look at all of them!
If any of you ever get to NY state, there is an extensive and quite interesting logging exhibit at the Adirondack Museum in the hamlet of Blue Mountain Lake in the Adirondacks.  See www.adirondackmuseum.org.  Visit their section on history/adirondack industries.  Also check out the book store in the History section for some books on the history of logging.  Very Interesting.

Now you guys talk about a "whack of logs"??  Let's see if I can make this picture load!

Tom

Tha's quite a Wack, MV.

Yep I drink a lot of coffee too ;D :D

Make your next cup decaf and see if you can stay awhile, we
re having fun and the more the merrier. ;) :)

Ron Scott

Husquvarna 395XP Chainsaw. Being used by this cutter to harvest Aspen and Oak sawlogs and pulpwood. Kendziorski Hardwood Sale; December 2002.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Pulpwood Hauler. Prepares for turn off US-2 for access into Mead Paper Mill's wood yard. Escanaba, Michigan; December 2002.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Railroad Siding. Rail cars of pulpwood being loaded for pick-up at the Gulliver R.R. Siding in Michigan's U.P.; December, 2002.

~Ron

TJACK

I am suprised all these photos don't show snow on the ground, being in the UP of Michigan.  We haven't seen grass in Northern PA since a week before Thanksgiving.  Great pictures Ron.  It is interesting to see how things are done in your neck of the woods.

TJACK

Ron Scott

Yes, it has been somewhat unusual so far. We haven't had a lot of snow yet. The snow has been all around us. Not much in the UP either. They were getting a little yesterday I guess. It rained here most of the day yesterday with temps up to 40 degrees. Got washed out of the woods.

There will be some snow photos ahead though.

How about some Pennsylvania photos? I do recall some heavy snow seasons there.
~Ron

TJACK

Ron,

I may have spoken to soon, it was 50 here today.  Now I can see grass on the road sides.  It was refreshing as I drove with the window part way down. As far as pictures, I don't have a digital camera although, I do have a friend that will let me use his.  I will see what I can do.

Take care and have a happy new year,

TJACK

Ron Scott

I don't have a digital camera either. Just a plain 35 mm and use a scanner.
~Ron

Scott

Hey Ron, how come the trucks you show always have so many axles? Seems like more than is needed.

Ron Scott

The heavy loads that they are allowed to carry here in Michigan require the multi-axels. The gross weights that these mult-axels carry run 154,000 - 157,000 pounds. They can only run in Michigan as most states only allow single axel rigs.

The State has been trying to stop the multi-axels, but the logging industry has prevailed in their use so far.

They may run the multi-axels into Ohio some by special permit only
~Ron

Scott

Thats pretty interesting Ron. Are the multi axles only used in the hardwood or does the softwood loads weigh alot too? Around here trailers usually only have 2 or 3 axles on log trailers and the B-train chip vans have 2, not very exciting but it works i guess.

Ron Scott

The mult-axel rigs are used for both hardwoods and softwoods. Double axels trailers are used also. That's what the chip vans are.
~Ron

Ron Scott

Log Hauler Wears Christmas Wreath. Roadside loading during December's snow (now gone). Note the multi-axels with 42 tires. Kendziorski Timber Harvest; December 2002.

~Ron

Scott

Thats a nice tough looking truck Ron. I don't know much about trucking so i can't really carry on  a conversation about them. I see you have a lot of forwarder pictures. Do you have any expirience with the boogie tracks used on them sometimes?

Ron Scott

Not much experience with the tracks of the forwarders since they aren't used much in this area. Mostly just just the rubber tires.
~Ron

Scott

Do the forwarders do as much rutting as the skidders Ron? In my area i've seen a lot of skidder action and i'm quite disgusted with them. I'm sure if the operators actually cared about what they were doing things would be better. Around here not many operators run a CTL operation so i don't really know much about them, it seems like a better system in a lot of cases though.

Ron Scott

Valmet 544X Forwarder. Picking up sawlogs and pulpwood behind the cutter. Kendziorski Hardwood Sale; December 2002.

Yes, the rubber tired forwarders compared to skidders are usually easier on the landscape with less disturbance and resulting damage on selection harvest areas.

~Ron

Scott

Hi Ron. I notice you were listing truck names awhile back. I rember seeing one called the Bacon Maker. Once when i was visiting my relitives in Nova Scotia I saw a tow truck called the happy hooker :o. :D.

Ron Scott

Timbco Tracked Processor Stuck. A logger's day takes a turn for the worse when the productive Timbco tracked processor broke through a "spring hole". The unit was stuck for a better part of two days."Heavy armor" had to be called in to retreive it.

Harris Hardwood Sale; December 2002.

~Ron

Tillaway

Oops...I did that with a pickup once... took me a week to get it back.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Ron Scott

Timbco Tracked Proccessor Still Stuck. A Komatsu Crawler (D7 size) with winch frame is called in to assist in removal of the Timbco from "spring hole". Harris Hardwood Sale; working aspen clear cut area near head waters of Wheeler Creek; December 2002.

~Ron

Scott

Those pictures reminded me of something that happened up here a couple years back. The contractor was working behind a Fabteck FT133 in a cedar swamp skidding cedar (naturally). at the beginning of the swamp was a very steep hill, maybe 30 feet. Anyway the skidders were in after a good rain and when they went to go back up the hill with a grapple full of wood they got mired down. The mud was the nice black stuff cedar swamps are known for. The timberjack 560 and 450 were burried about 2 feet up the arch. the 560 was in worst and it was lop sided the mud on the side farthest in was up to the window on the door. The loggers got a hitachi EX200 in but it got stuck too. The front of the tracks were sticking out of the mud a few inches but in the back the engine compartment was litterally level with the ground. Interestingly enough it started right back up. Words can't descride how bad these guys were stuck. I wish i had a camera with me. Nice timbco Ron.

Ron Scott

Timbco Still Stuck. More heavy equipment is called in to work on freeing the tracked Timbco from the "sink hole" while workers place aspen logs under the tracks to "jump it out". Harris Harfdwood Sale; December 2002.

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!