iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwalker

Ron, Where was that CCI harvest located?

Ron Scott

bwalker,

The harvest was being done in the area behind the Iron River water tank and the old Bates mine.
~Ron

DanG

Had a good time watching this little skidder working in my back yard today.

They're finally getting underway with the power line I've been whining about for the past 2 years.  This guy is helping to clear the right of way.  Here he is delimbing a twitch by driving over them with the blade.  It's amazing how quickly a good operator can clean up a whack of logs this way.

Headed for the landing with a half-truckload behind.

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

SwampDonkey

She looks like she could swim, logs and all. ;)

That's quite a whack of wood.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DoubleD

That is not a skidder is a SKIDDDEEEEEER
smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw
Wannabe a sawmiller

SteveB

I guess if you want a big skidder you have to buy Canadian eh?

(Tigercat)

sawguy21

Biggest skidder I have ever seen. Paul, I have to wonder how it might work in your part of the woods although doing endo's probably is not an issue. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

I've seen them use skidders up on the Nass River, BC. We laid out most harvest blocks up there for skidder. In the area we were at, the ground was more rolling and not steep mountains. Although we were in full view of coast mountains with snow on their peeks.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

barbender

Was out riding with a buddy of mine yesterday who runs a Ponsse harvester.  He is working on a black spruce clear cut right now, I'll try and post the pics I took.  I love watching those machines- they are amazing.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

barbender

and again                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

barbender

some more                                                                                                                           

barbender

and one more                                                       

sawguy21

I have watched skidders a lot and driven them a couple of times, to move them around the yard, but never one 6 wheels. It looks like it might be clumsy to turn and maybe tough to back up.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DanG

He didn't seem to have any trouble maneuvering, Sawguy.  The thing did seem a bit slow moving around, though.  There was a more normal looking Franklin skidder working with him, and it would run circles around the big guy, but only drag about a fourth as much wood.  That seemed to be more of a traction issue.  He had 4 tires on the ground, and the big'un had 12.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

barbender, where you at? The wood doesn't look much bigger than plantation black spruce, although that doesn't look like plantation. Should have maybe been thinned a long time ago though. Nice peice of equipment. ;)

barbender

Swampdonkey- I am in north- central minnesota. That is just wild grown black spruce in a peat swamp, they never really thin the black spruce around here. All I have seen on black spruce is clear cuts.  The management plan called for aerial reseeding, which they do a lot of around here with both white and black spruce.  Something I thought was cool was my buddy would take a stem and run it into the ground to measure the frost, and keep it going down through the peat until it hit something hard- about twelve feet down.  It's been so unusually mild this winter that there is hardly any frost in the ground, so the loggers have been having a hard time getting at the winter timber in the swamps. The day I took those pictures we had just got a cold snap with lows in the -20 to -30F range, so the job they were working was just freezing enough that the forwarder wasn't breaking through anymore.

SwampDonkey

Alot of those black spruce bogs are layered here. The lower branches of a black spruce gets trained by snowload over a period of years and eventually takes root. Often you'll see a taller tree in the middle of little ones circling it. Never had any personal experience with aerial seeding, but I would think it would be fairly successful in moss. They don't do it here, they just plant by hand. Often times, if the logging is timed right in a good seed year there is all kinds of regen in 3 years and alot of those are advanced seedlings from before logging if the stand isn't too dense. The overwintering semi serotinus cones open up in the slash in the heat of the sun during spring and early summer. Terrible slow growing sites though. ;D

barbender

swampdonkey- I didn't check any of these trees but our black spruce grows real slow here. It wouldn't surprise me if those trees in the pics were 75-100 years old.

Rob

Here are a few pics I snapped while at work..select cutting 160 acres in New Hampshire

Rob

here is one of the skid roads

Rob

Here is a downhill view of another skid road

Rob

Here is a pic of our landing thats our 460D skidder and 384 TMS Prentice delimber/slasher and in the back in the 280 Prentice used for feeding chipper and loading trucks

Rob

Here is a pic of our 425 Timbco heading thru the woods

Rob

here is a pic of the timbco with a fresh cut beech in the head

Thank You Sponsors!