iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cedar Eater

On the side of a septic system cleaner's truck:

We're Number One In The Number Two Business!

:D :D :D
Cedar Eater

Frank_Pender

a frined of mine had a septic pumping service with the picture of a skunk painted on the back along with a caption, "STINKY".  Boy, are we getting far from the thread? :'(
Frank Pender

StIhL_MaGnUm_1

Guy's what happened to the original thread???

Tom

Stuff goes round and round here Stihl_Magnum.  It'll come back around one day :D

Ron Scott

"Log hauler" rig names. I talked to one driver yesterday with a new rig. He is going to name the new one "Hard Times". The old one was named "Two Tracker".
~Ron

Tom

My Southern Loggin' Times has an article in the Industry News Roundup that Timberjack Replaces the 240D Skidder.

I quote the first paragraph:

"Timberjack made  history again last summer when it ceased production of its 200 Series of skidders.  The last unit, a 240C cable machine bearing serial number WC240CC001178 rolled off the assembly line June 18 at Timberjack's plant at Woodstock, Ontario.  It was number 23,795 of the series, introduced by the company in 1961."

StIhL_MaGnUm_1

Tom,

You are right the 240 is now gone forever,that was a very good machine for it's size a few friends of mine have a couple that I use from time to time..It will be missed :-[

Later Rob,....

Ron Scott

What's Timberjack going to replace the 240 with? It seems to be the most most popular forwarder here. There are 4 of them working on 3 on my short wood jobs at present.

A couple more "log hauler" names noted are:

"Daddy"
"Poor Boys Dream"
~Ron

Ron Scott

Small Slasher, Hawk Hydaulics, Inc. Cuts hardwood round wood products at the landing.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Tree Farmer C5D Cable Skidder. Used on "short wood" job for pulling down leaners and road side trees where safety and falling placement is critical.

Harris Hardwood Sale, 10/02.

~Ron

StIhL_MaGnUm_1

Hey Ron nice little tree farmer you got there how do you like it?Nice pics by the way I'm suprised no one else post's any pics for us to look at...I have been thinking about looking into purchasin one of the new JD 848G series dual function skidder's for a few weeks now I guess I'll have to swing by NorTrax East this week.... ;)

Later Rob....

Ron Scott

A Logger's Pick-Up Carries Their Needs.
Tool Box; Fuel Tank for skidder & forwarder fuel; Storage  Boxes for spare parts, hydraulic hoses etc., Lunch Cooler; Chain Saw Oil; Extra Chain Saw ( Husky 288XP) etc.

~Ron

smwwoody

That JD 848 is that the TJ 660 painted yellow?
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Ron Scott

Black Cherry Logs. Ready to be forwarded to the landing after the cutter returns from his lunch break.

~Ron

StIhL_MaGnUm_1

smwwoody,

I don't really know for sure but I will let you know by the middle of next week..

Ron,

Nice pics as always ;DI almost thought that you took a pic of my truck till I saw the 288 and not a 385 and 064 ;).

Later Rob..

Ron Scott

1990 Timberjack 240A Forwarder. Carrying out a "bunk" of hardwoods. Harris Hardwood Sale 10/02.

~Ron

WV_hillbilly

Ron do they leave the middle piece (the one that saw is touching)in the woods or do they take it out to be sawed into lumber? It seems to me that there would be some real nice crotch wood in that piece.

Thanks Hillbilly
Hillbilly

Ron Scott

Hillbilly,

The center crutch piece of the black cherry was left in the woods. It's there for anyone that wants it or it becomes a grouse "drumming log".

~Ron

Ron Scott

Timberjack 240A Forwarder Unloads Sawlogs at the Landing. Harris Hardwood Sale 10/02.

~Ron

TJACK

Ron,

I have noticed in your area they use a lot of forwarders.  Is there an advantage in time or perference in getting the job over cable skidders?  I realize there is less impact on the land.  Why do I ask? I live in North Western PA where most of the timber harvesting (saw logs and veneer, black cherry, red oak and maple) is with cable skidders, very few forwarders.  If you cut pulp or firewood, grapple skidders.  Maybe do to the hills?

TJACK

smwwoody

T jack
Forwarders don't work real well on our hill sides I have rented that big franklin that grotzinger equiptment has a few times when we had over a 1.5 mile long skid and used the skidders to pre bunch and then hauled to the landing with the forwarder. and one time when we could not get the log trucks through the snow and the state would not let us plow the truck road because it was being used as a snowmobiel trail so we prehauled with the forwarder down off of the ridge road in emporium to the golf course where the log trucks could get to.  Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

WV_hillbilly

Ron

that puzzles me as I would think that someone could make some high dollar boards out of that. I don't know anything about sawmilling or logging I just use the boards. But I hope to get a mill in the next 2 years. I own a small farm and would like to cut some of my own trees for lumber.

Hillbilly
Hillbilly

Ron Scott

Most of my hardwood sales are selectively marked and require short wood variable length logging with none over 17 feet in length. Tree length skidding is not permitted as the primary method, thus forwarders are primarily used.

The land owner clients I have do not want their forest landscape and remaining trees damaged. More resource damage is often done with excessive use of cable skidders.

The forwarders are also easier on the landowner roads and trails. However, there is usally a limited need for cable skidders being used as you stated on hill sides, reaching into wet areas, assisting cutters in pulling down leaners, etc.

Most timber producers have both a forwarder and a supporting cable skidder on the job for support as needed, but they are not the primary skidding method.

There are timber harvests were tree length skidding is permitted and grapple and cable skidders are used, but not in quality hardwood selective harvests. Remaining trees to improve a landowner's stand quality and values can not be damaged in excess.

I've worked both in West Virginia and Pennsylvania and know the hills well in your landscapes. It is much more difficult than what we have here in Michigan, thus the terrain may dictate more use of cables.

I can recall $70,000 +/mile haul roads in West Virginia 20 years ago.  We just need to be as "light on the land" as possible.
~Ron

smwwoody

QuoteMore resource damage is often done with excessive use of cable skidders.

that should read excessive use of caable skidders with bad or lazy opperators.
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Ron Scott

Truck Driver and Timber Producer. They "talk things over" as they get ready for "a load to the mill".

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!