iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Great info! Some good showings of mechanical harvesters in action.
~Ron

Tom

that should keep me busy for a little while. :D

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Octoman

Great collection of videos! :)

The Komatsu design of a combined harvester and forwarder seemed very impressive!  Is it more efficient to use the two separate machines rather than the combined design? ???
WM LT 15 - Fortune favours the Brave!

SwampDonkey

Ever see those old Koering Feller Forwarders?? They were monsters especially with a ful load of treelength hardwood laying on the bunk behind.

Some info and pictures on the beast
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Timburr

Clark,
you've been busy  :o    Do you collect forestry machine videos as well as FM models.

Octoman,
Combination machines are more of an issue of economics than efficiency, usually driven by small time owner/operator contractors.
There is a father/son team 10 miles from us, who have 1½ harvester and forwarder combos.....1 is full time, the other on standby when needed
They have no intention of joining the big boys.

Sense is not common

Ron Scott

Tree Lengths Are "Cut To Length". Short wood logging in a hemlock/lowland hardwoods stand. Mosher timber harvest; 8/05,

~Ron

Oregon Engineer

Check out the attachments, a pic of the Koering tree length and short wood machine.

Look at all the moving heads on the short wood machine!!!

SYOUNG

Many of our engineers and our President designed most of those Koehring machines.  They were innovative concepts in those early days of mechanized harvesting.  That philosphy and innovation has been passed on to our equipment today.  Thanks for all of the great old pictures.  Over and out from the Koehring home town!

Regards,
Steve Young
Tigercat Industries

Ron Scott

Valmet Forwarder. Picks up and removes "cut to length" products hand cut from tree lengths pulled to dry ground by the timberjack cable skidder from the wetter soils of the hemlock/lowland hardwoods stand. Mosher timber harvest; 8/05.

~Ron

Rob

Ron ,

How have you been ? Suprised not too see any new pics on the thread from you in almost a month ??? Im gonna try and get some from the 100 acre cut were doing , hopefully before weeks end .

Rob

tiny3

hi
hey syoung we still have a 618 koehring feller buncher,very reliable machine.still gets used as a back up machine must have 20000+ hrs on it 8)
artest formely known as tiny

Ron Scott

Our logging jobs have slowed down some due to current market conditions so the pictures have slowed down also. Hopefully it will pick up after the rifle deer season and as winter comes on.

We have a lot of oak standing on the stump, but markets are poor at present, so the loggers are "sitting" on it hoping for better prices.  :'(
~Ron

thecfarm

Oak prices are down here in Maine too. Forestys are telling the land owners to wait until the market goes up.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

Ponsse Caribou Forwarder. With tracked rear wheels, it works in a northern hardwood thinning. Cleveland Cliff's timber harvest in Michigan's U.P.; 11/05.

~Ron

Rob

The oak market is down here in Southern NH also , we are on a 100 acre select cut for wildlife , mainly deer as the property is soon to be a deer hunting camp . The are some very large red oaks and it's a shame we have to cut them now with the price being nearly $500 per mbf less than it was 6 months ago .. The lot looks very nice almost nothing standing but Red Oak , with some mixed in Hemlock , Pine .. The deer are loving it . I'll try and get some pics as we will be done by weeks end.

Rob

Ron Scott

Logger's Service & Supply Truck. This used mobile welder's truck makes a good service and supply truck for the logging company. Mosher lowland hardwoods timber harvest; 9/05.

~Ron

SwampDonkey

Yes that's a dandy. Alot of fellas around here have panel trucks where they can get inside out of the cold, hot sun or bugs and file the saws and fix things for their machines. There's a post up there of mine someplace with one and a forwarder braced against the door for extra security. People like to steal tools on the weekends.  ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

Some more Wood Hauler names noted while on the road.

"Hooter Patrol"
"Chapter II"
"Pedlar"
~Ron

Reddog

Nice Thread Ron. Thanks for the time you put into all the pictures. And the same to everone else that has posted. Great Forum here lots of good info. 8)

barbender

here is a picture of my BIL cutting aspen on the landing. He's a mechanical engineer  for Bell helicopter down in Fort Worth, TX.  He and my sister were up for christmas, and he wanted to help me out for a few days.  So, after a short trainig period ( he'd never ran a chainsaw before) I put him to work cutting on the landing. He did pretty good too, especially considering the mess I made of the landing( I never ran a skidder before.  Aspen pulp is at $102/cord at the ainsworth osb plant in Grand Rapids.  Lot of money for pulp.  $102/cord-$16/cord= $86/cord on the landing, and this is wood off of our property, so no stumpage.

Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

That's a good price barbender, it's more than the Burla Group is gonna pay here. They dropped the price to mid 80's pricing. (~$75/cord). No private producer is going to be selling there unless they just like excercise and giving wood away. I'de rather make worm food and pecker poles out of it. Their mill yard is going to be pretty empty for awhile.

timberjack240

"pecker poles out of it" we cut a lot of them  ;D

Woodhog

Wow, 75.00 per cord is that landed at the mill...

Here it is the grand price of 47.00 (CDN) on my landing....what a joke!!! :-[

SwampDonkey

No, roadside price Woodhog. We were getting $110 a cord a couple years ago. According to the news tonight UPM in Miramachi is faultering. UPM puts the blame on the inefficiencies of it's labour force, which has caused the mill to be unprofitable for the last 10 years.  And another contributing factor I beleive (and this is speculative) is Irving undercut them on a contract for pulp deliveries by $20/m^3 with cheap crown wood (180,000 m^3). A contract that UPM made with a Quebec company for wood from private sources, but it was never signed.  ::) But, apparently Irving had to obtain wood later from Fraser/Nexfor to overcome a shortfall, because of closed deliveries of private wood.  I got that info from 'Atlantic Forestry Review'. ::) All kinds of fun stuff.  :-\

Thank You Sponsors!