iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Timberjack Forwarder. Working an area of aspen removal and oak thinning, Austin timber harvest; 5/05

~Ron

Ed_K

Here's the new trailer used to bring out cordwood & some sawlogs

Eve - Cowl lot
6/10/05
Ed K

SwampDonkey

Ed_K,

How do ya like the trailor? Looks like a good setup for thinning plantations.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ed_K

S.D. the trailer is nice, holds about 3/4 of a cord. The loader could use more reach, only 9.5'. I have to be careful with the controls, yesterday I picked a log off and it swung up to the knuckle and broke the fitting off the hydro line  >:(. I'm running a 7000# tractor, and coming down hill with ledges it will slide some with the trailer loaded full. If it keeps happening, I'll put the ice chains on.
Ed K

isawlogs

Ed ,
   Is that the tractor you where telling me about at the Bangor show ...
  Very nice set up , I would not mind having one of those trailers .  Sometimes the skidder is a little big and only have a few logs to go get . That trailer would be ideal behind the pick-up .

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ed_K

Isawlogs, it is. Only thing I changed, was to move the wheels out to 7' so it's not tippy.
Ed K

SwampDonkey

Nashwaak Lake Area

Road maintenance

This road was constructed approximately 8 years ago and was in need of grading and brushing before trucks and equipment are brought into the site.

Red Spruce Stand

Harvest block of red spruce and over-mature balsma fir. Lots of blow down around the block perimeter, not seen.

Porter

Porter on the way out to the landing

Almost there

Sorting the wood by species on the yard
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

Some more "wood hauler"names noted while "on the road".

"Animal"
"Gordy"
"Deno"
"Just Logging"
"The Girls" Think My Truck Is Sexy"
"4-Play"
"Get R Down"
"Lone Wolf"
"Big Red One"
"Brow"
"Big Boz"
"Money Pit"
~Ron

Ron Scott

Timberjack 1010 Forwarder. Double bunk forwarder with tracks. Mansfield timber harvest; 5/05.

~Ron

Scott

Nice rig. There was one just like that on the lot beside ours a couple years back. It didn't have the blade or the half tracks and it was a a 6 wheeled one. Worked good though  :)

Rob

Here are a few pics of the 545 Cat I run and the Hood 24000 Loader/Slasher set up..hope you guys enjoy

Rob

Heres a shot of the Hood itself

Rob

Heres is a shot of me going through the muddy part of the job...it's a lil deep in spots

Rob

Rob

Here is a shot from the inside of the skidder , Hood slashing and stacking tops getting ready to move in the chipper to process..

Rob

Hope you enjoy the pics there will be lots more to come throughout the next few months..

Rob

OLD_ JD

canadien forest ranger

Rob

No problem .. I will be taking some more this coming week so stay tuned

pasbuild

NICE PICS ROB
Is this a clear cut job
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Ernie

Great pics, great machines--- envy is a sin right?
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

David_c

Quote from: Rob on July 24, 2005, 09:56:53 AM
Heres is a shot of me going through the muddy part of the job...it's a lil deep in spots

Bit of an understatment ;) nice pics keep'em comming

jgoodhart

Keep the pictures coming I'll look at them ;)

Ron Scott

Rob,

What's the reason for working in the mud?? Working a wetland, spring break up, drainage ???  :-[
~Ron

David_c

Ron i'm not certain it is necessarily a wetland. everything in these parts is just saturated from all the rain we have had this spring & summer. but either way it is still a bit to wet. nothing has had a chance to dry out since winter. we still have small springs that only run after winter melt and in spring that are still going quit heavely.

Tom

David and Rob,

Does working in a spring or pond and making a mud hole impair your relationship with the land-owner?  Is that something that a consulting forestor would rather not happen or is some of it condoned?   

we have a lot of wet land (not wetlands) that a skidder can do irrepairable damage to down here.  I've seen skidders working in  mud where you couldn't see the tires, just a swirl in the mud.  Usually a deep hole like that can be worked around but some of the skidder operators will go through them anyway.   Some of the Hammocks or small Cypress heads that are damaged by ruts can get a consulting forester in a lot of trouble.   I'm not famiiar with the ground up there or the ramifications of rutting, but sure would like to know.  It could be that the awareness is more stringent down here because of the number of swamps we have. 

Thank You Sponsors!