iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minnesota_boy

You have too many wheels on that log truck.  In Minnesota you rarely see more than 2 sets of duals on the back of the trailer.  Of course, the loads are smaller too, but that has to do with the upper limit of the license allowed here.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Ron Scott

Not here in Michigan. They are even considering allowing longer lengths.  :( There's a "pup trailer" in the rear.
~Ron

Furby

SwampDonkey

They have 3 to 4 axels on trailors here and haul 32 to 46 tonne (that's a metric tonne which is 10 % larger than a short ton). This time of year we have 80 % restrictions on secondary roads.

Most folks are using these trailors

http://www.bwstrailers.com/logger.php
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Maine is the same with their trailers.Our pup trailers are alot shorter,when we do see them.There are some good size trailers up north on the paper companies roads,but I don't see big loads on state or towns roads down at my neck of the woods.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

Approximately 120 miles trucking to the pulpmill in Muskegon, MI
~Ron

Gary_C

I think in Michigan they will allow weights up to 140,000 lbs if you have enough axles.  In Minnesota you are allowed 80,000 max with 5% over for forest products. In the winter you are allowed 10% over when the roads are frozen or 88,000 plus the 5% tolerance.  Last year in Minnesota they started allowing trucks with 6 axles to be licensed for 90,000 but not many have added a third axle on their trailers.

You have to be very careful with that 5% tolerance because if you exceed the tolerance by any amount, the overweight goes back to the max weight allowed. Since many of the pulp mills are now weight scaling, the DOT can and will go to the mills and check all weight tickets back 30 days and send you a ticket for any loads that are overweight. So just because you are not stopped with a heavy load, it does not mean that you got away with an overload.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Ron Scott

Multi-axel trucks can be used in Michigan only; maybe in Ohio by special permit.

The pulpwood hauler pictured above will have a gross weight including truck weight of 154,000 - 157,000 lbs carrying a payload of 22 - 25 cords under good road conditions.
~Ron

loghlr16

In Michigan we use the federal weight limit which is 160,001 lbs.  But you can only get it with 11 axles and 1 having a 9' spread.  It's all in the axle spreads to get the weight.  My truck weighs 55,000 empty w/ the pup legal for 154,000. They are talking about extending the legal lengths for "gravel trains" and construction trucks on nondesignated routes.  Log truck are already allowed to be 9' wide and up to 70' long loaded.

Furby

I spoke with a hauler here last fall that said he does 160,000#.
I don't recall how many axels he had though.

babylogger

hey ed k that looks like the skidder i drive (when im able to) lol great pictures everyone!!! and also whoever posted the first pictures on this thread...id give anything to drive that machine!!!
love logger

Ron Scott

More Wood Hauler Names Noted:

"Timber Taz"
"Doc"
"I Love The Money"
"Fast Forward II"
"Big Boz"
"Chapter II"
~Ron

Ron Scott

Pulpwood Load Crosses "Big Mac"

This load is headed south from "Yooper Land" to a pulp mill in northern lower, Michigan; 3/05. Numerous loads of forest products cross the Mackinaw Bridge each day.

~Ron

Ron Scott

A Load of Aspen Pulpwood. A load of aspen pulpwood leaves the harvest area for the mill approximately 100 miles north. Treais timber harvest; 3/05.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Iron Mule Forwarder. This machine works cautiously along the edge of the wetland. Treais timber harvest; 3/05.

~Ron

Ron Scott

The Iron Mule Forwarder Needs A New Tire. The left rear tire on the forwarder is replaced "on the job" with a new one. Treais timber harvest; 3/05.

~Ron

tnlogger

ron it'a a joy to come in this thread and see what new you have posted  thanks gene
gene

Ron Scott

Thanks tnlogger. The interest is very much appreciated.
~Ron

Ernie

As a Kiwi, I hate to admit that the Aussies have another one up on us but I came across this record for an Aussie "Road Train"  79 trailers, length 1018 meters GVW 1072.3 metric tonnes
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Timburr

Ernie, must take them weeks to load and hook up all their trailers!!
At a kilometre long, how does the driver see their rear trailers in the mirrors?  ??? They must pale into insignificance.
When making a turn, they must need at least 1/2km clear inside radius, otherwise it's total wipe-out of anything in their path. :o
Sense is not common

Ron Scott

Iron Mule Forwarder Back on The Job. With a new left rear tire and chains on the front tires, the Iron Mule continues its work in the northern hardwood thinning. Treais timber harvest; 4/05.

~Ron

Mrforestry

very nice equipment, wish i had a camera to take some we work with, oh well

Ron Scott

Small Timberjack Cable Skidder. Parked at the landing. Outfitted with new paint job, new tires, and new chains on front tires. Osterlund Road timber harvest; 3/05.

~Ron

Robert R

Ok, this thread is driving me insane.  I need someone to pm me their snail mail address that would scan and post a picture or 2 of my skidders.  I am becoming insanely jealous.  Thanks.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

tnlogger

robert take um to walmart and they'll put them on a disc for you   ;D
gene

Thank You Sponsors!