iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Timberjack 380C Grapple Skidder. Lifts large oak log to set in place for road closure. Access roads often need to be closed after the timber harvest.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Timberjack 380 Grapple Skidder. Placing the second large oak log for closure of timber harvest access road.

~Ron

Tom

There is a piece of "abandoned" property next door to me where folks have found a place to have pot parties etc.  I put a live oak log as big or bigger than those logs in the picture above,  across the road and it butted from tree to tree on either side.  It was a strain on my 555 backhoe but I got it in place    Ju-u-s-s-s-t right.

The scoundrels moved it that night.  From the tracks they had used a pickup truck. :-/ >:( :D

Ron Scott

Tom,

Road closures are often violated, but one needs to be persistent in maintaining the closure.

This one of oak logs isn't the best, but the landowner lives right across the road and its in a well traveled residential area, so there are many to keep an eye on it.

Oak logs especially aren't good to use, but these were two large hollow cull logs that would have been left on the landing for grouse drumming logs or wildlife dens. Instead we used them for the road closure for a more natural appearance.

If they were good oak sawlogs, they would  soon be "stolen". If they were smaller trees, especially oak trees,  fallen across the road, they would have been soon cut up for firewood and the road again opened.

In the back woods areas we usually build a series of "tank traps" (earthen mounds covering exposed stubby woody debris about 4' high or so). We placed an earthen mound at the ends of the logs here, but not excessive. When excessive, they aren't too aesthetically pleasing.

In some cases a heavy steel gate with concrete filled steel posts is used. This is more permanent.

It depends upon what the landowner wants and if he can keep it maintained. ORV's and snowmobiles are usually the most problem, but then when the violator wants to remove the closure they will use a 4x4 truck with chain, winch, or whatever.

~Ron

woodmills1

Tom, I find if you put a very large rock on both sides of the big log it really is much harder for the scoundrels to move it. ;)
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Tom

James, we don't have any rocks around here.  :D
The closest thing I've seen to a rock was the concreted base of a Power Pole in town one time years ago and on it some youngster had written the Ad for a local radio station.  ROCK 105.  I laughed till I thought I'de die.

Sea Shells wouldn't work, Huh?

If these kids are anything like we were then, the harder you make it to move, the more determined they are to move it.  I may get better results by putting wheels on it.  :D

Ron Scott

Large Rocks are excellent here also, but usually had to find unless we haul them in. Expensive, bit that's done sometimes also.

Tom,
How about a couple alligators tied to those logs down your way? :D
~Ron

Tom

The kids would just eat them Ron.  :D ........the gators I mean.  :D :D

Corley5

Ahhh the subject of road closures.  Last week we spent four days in the Pigeon River SF reclosing roads.  We got the north half done and the south half will have to wait til fall.  We used mainly earthen berms and mixed large rocks, stumps, logs etc in with the dirt.  A couple places we used large boulders for blockages.  We set them into the ground a foot or so.  This makes it hard to pull them with a 4x4.  Most of our wildlife openings and some other areas are accessed through heavy pipe gates that have a chain and padlock on them.  For the most part these stay locked.  Some of them we have problems with people cutting the locks but not too bad.  The worst times are bear dog training season and bear season.  This brand of hunter around here has no respect for locked gates.  One lock I picked up had been cut off with a torch :o.  At this particular site I built a berm behind the gate too.  They still cut the lock off even though there was no way over the blockage on the other side.  Some of the managers want to try something new.  Treated barrier posts.  We've put some in but they are doomed to fail.  We wanted to drill them and put a piece of 1/2" rebar in the center to keep them from being cut off.  Oh no then in case of a fire the fire officers couldn't cut them off.  It did no ggod to remind them that the fire crew would have a 450 JD dozer or a big four wheel drive that could push out or drive around the posts.  Oh well job security 8) 8)  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ron Scott

Road closures are a major management issue and concern in forest land and resource management, both pro and con. Especially in public land management.

All are aware of the Roadless Areas initiated during the Clinton administration and still under debate.

Road closures are worthy of a new Thread.
~Ron

Ron Scott

Timberjack 380C Grapple Skidder and its Carrier. Being loaded for transport after the job is done.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Iron Mule 5110 Forwarder. With a bunk load of aspen pulpwood.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Valmet 544X Forwarder. Loading aspen pulpwood on harvest area for transport to the landing.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Red Pine Processing Area. Note the slasher in operation and differnt product piles. Tops are in background awaiting the chipper.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Timber Harvest Access Road. Timber harvest access roads often need to be improved for access and trucking. This hill section of road is being straightened out some and graded before receiving 200 plus yards of gravel. 4 wheeled drive was needed to make the sandy hill before the road work.

A John Deere 750B Crawler does the work.

~Ron

StIhL_MaGnUm_1

That kinda looks like what I've been doing lately except I use a D9 Cat for the access roads,I just got done my 65 acre clear cutting job,so I guess tomorrow I'll be starting my white pine thinning job it oughta be a fun time,nothing like workin the woods.
   Here's a pic of my new

Rob

Ron Scott

It's good to see some posts by loggers from other parts of the country. Keep them coming!
~Ron

Ron Scott

Aspen Deck. A "whack" of aspen pulpwood. Double decked side by side awaiting trucking.

~Ron

Tom

StIhL_MaGnUm_1

Ron Scott

This was about 3 days work and 4 truck loads were already hauled out so I called it a "whack". A " mechanized whack". Done with feller buncher, 2 Cat Grapple skidders tree length skidding, and a slasher processing at the landing. No wasted motion.
~Ron

Ron Scott

Hood Slasher. Processing aspen sawlogs and pulpwood and decking at the landing.

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!