Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

coxy

not me it takes to long to fix the mess  ;D

mike_belben

Man.. That sinkhole looks like a whole dang case of the mondays.
Praise The Lord

lopet

Did the boss do it or the operator ?  ;D
Anyways, glad you got her out without busting anything.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Ken

Quote from: lopet on July 14, 2017, 10:51:10 PM
Did the boss do it or the operator ?  ;D
Anyways, glad you got her out without busting anything.

I actually had started the strip and although it was soft in there I thought it was doable.  When my operator walked the machine back in he didn't even get to where I finished and sunk.   He has the honour of getting a harvester of mine stuck for the first time.  Just another day
Lots of toys for working in the bush

lopet

Know what you're saying, sometimes a ground only takes one passing but no second one. How do I know that  ;D
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.

wannaergo

We just got a new forwarder. Been waiting about 6 months, and the deal finally went through. We didn't tell our operator it was coming until the Lowboy pulled onto the job. He was quite pleased. It's a rottne F15 and seems to be a pretty nice rig so far.

2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

Ron Scott

A great surprise for the operator .  ;) Where in the the U.P. will it be working?
~Ron

GRANITEstateMP

wannaergo,

You probably just made that guys weekend!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

wannaergo

Quote from: Ron Scott on July 28, 2017, 11:32:21 AM
A great surprise for the operator .  ;) What are of the U.P. will it be working in?

We are usually right around the central to western UP. Around the michigamme area is where most of our work is.
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

grouch

I'm only up to page 82 in this thread (thanks Ron Scott for starting this!) so apologies if this has been posted in here before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0K5XwmGmuw

Allison Logging - Coastal Logging in the early 20th Century

If anybody relied on me to carry an axe and climb up to top a tree at over 120 ft, they'd still be living in a rock house or a hole in the ground.

(Back to reading).

Find something to do that interests you.

sawguy21

They wouldn't find me up there either.  ;D Thanks for that, a great video. It was a very hard and dangerous way to make a living, lots of ways to get hurt or killed. Did you notice the guy chopping fuel for the yarder? I sure wouldn't argue with him after a few beers.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bandmill Bandit

Hey Sawguy
The wisdom and treachery that comes with grey hair is a part of a relationship the goes with the pith and vinegar of youth for the greatest success that is possible. One without the other doesnt even get half the job done.   
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

JLeBouton

FABTEK 133 with new 2-Roller conversion cutting in Cedar River, MI.

https://youtu.be/4S8575jqO00

Peter Drouin

What market is there for the small "top" wood?
JLeBouton
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

grouch

Nooooo! It's the last page. Need more pictures of equipment I'll otherwise never see, much less operate.

Amazing thread and thanks to all who took time to share photos, videos and descriptions of these operations! The whole range is covered.

Find something to do that interests you.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Peter Drouin on August 28, 2017, 09:04:55 PM
What market is there for the small "top" wood?
JLeBouton

Hardwood pulp or sometimes firewood.

sawguy21

Unloading fir peelers at Canoe Forest Products plywood plant near Salmon Arm BC. Quite something to see this beast lift. The plant is on the edge of Shuswap Lake, logs are also boomed down from the north and east arms then trucked from here to area mills. I would like to have been closer but didn't have the required ppe so took a quick pic then scurried back to the truck.
They have another crane to load the log trucks. Unfortunately somebody wasn't paying attention and towed it out a little too far, it sank and pulled the newly repowered tug down with it. The pilot got out but likely had to look for a new employer. ;D Both were recovered but the tug has yet to return from repair in Vancouver, a smaller one is in service meaning smaller booms. Some loads are now being trucked around the lake, an 11 hour trip on a good day.

Dave Shepard

Is that a derrick? The yellow boom on the left is fixed, aband d the one on the right pivots around it?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sawguy21

lopet

Has the price for peelers going up after all those fires ?  I guess I know the answer, but how much ?

sawguy21

Last price I saw was over $428US/thousand for softwood. Very profitable but logs are limited due to the fires, BC lost an estimated four year supply.

lopet

I kinda meant for you locals. Arn't you selling in m3 to the mill ?  So is that more than $ 100 per m3  ?

sawguy21

I have no idea what the mills pay for logs

JLeBouton

Video shot yesterday near Stevens Point, WI showing a Fabtek 133 with 2-roller conversion. The owners report an increase in production of at least 3 cords per hour over their 4-roller set up. Between eliminating the maintenance associated with the 4-rollers, and the increased production, their only regret is not making the switch sooner.

Fabtek 133 2-Roller
Barko 240 CF-18

https://youtu.be/YC9UCCwx_3M

Thank You Sponsors!