iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ppine

There are some great machines out there now, but most are limited to 30 % slopes or a little more.

In the Big Mountains it is still pretty much chainsaws and cable shows.
Forester

newoodguy78

Quote from: 1270d on September 10, 2016, 09:57:29 PM

The two hoes couldn't quite get it on their own and a push with tje forwarder was needed to put it over the rest of the way.   Another hour or so carefully working the oil out of the top side of the engine and it was running again.   One more day was spent repairing bent metal and replacing an electrical panel and she's back in business.

1270d,

When you worked the oil out of the top end did you pull the injectors to do so? The reason I ask is I put an ASV 60 directly on its roof today. I was able to get it back sunny side up after about 6 hours but I'm concerned that oil got into the cylinders. Any tips are appreciated.

1270d

Quote from: newoodguy78 on November 26, 2016, 01:44:36 AM
Quote from: 1270d on September 10, 2016, 09:57:29 PM

The two hoes couldn't quite get it on their own and a push with tje forwarder was needed to put it over the rest of the way.   Another hour or so carefully working the oil out of the top side of the engine and it was running again.   One more day was spent repairing bent metal and replacing an electrical panel and she's back in business.

1270d,

When you worked the oil out of the top end did you pull the injectors to do so? The reason I ask is I put an ASV 60 directly on its roof today. I was able to get it back sunny side up after about 6 hours but I'm concerned that oil got into the cylinders. Any tips are appreciated.

No we didn't.    Decided to risk it.   Just bump the starter, and I mean just touch it, until you have made a couple revolutions on the engine.  As soon as it would come up against the oil in the cylinder(s) we would stop and let it sit for a half hour or so.  Then bump the key again.   

If your engine is not too worn it should be pretty dry after six hours. 

Once it would turn over freely we had a piece of wood ready to block the intake in case of runaway.   

If your injectors are easy to access I would pull them.   Ours were not, buried pretty good on the back side of the engine under plenty of other stuff..

Don't get greedy or you could crack a piston, or bend a rod.

barbender

Or shoot a rod right out the side of the block, I've seen that.
Too many irons in the fire

newoodguy78

Thanks for the advice. The machine only has 1400 hours on it, so it's tight. I'm gonna tackle into pulling either the injectors or glow plugs. I don't dare risk anything. I checked the oil this morning and it's only down a bit., but don't want to assume anything. It's amazing how little physical damage it did. I must have pulled the lever to raise the loader as I was performing the back flip and they took the brunt of the impact. It was one of those rides that was a split second long but left way too long to think of the possible outcome.

1270d

Our engine had about 500 hrs on it at that point.   Turn it over by hand to be safe.

chevytaHOE5674

When we flipped our forwarder upright we let it sit overnight then rolled the motor over by hand a few times to make sure it wasn't locked up. Hit the key and away she went.

Ken

Good luck Newoodguy78 with the restart. 

It was moving day for me.  We had to move earlier this week to cut out a roadway for a winter cut we have to do.  Moved back to the ongoing job today.  Roads were very slippery this morning.  Float driver had to be very cautious.

Lots of toys for working in the bush

newoodguy78

Well I got it started with no issues. I pulled the glow plugs,spun it over by hand Then cranked it over with the starter. Once I got the glow plugs back in and changed the oil it fired right up smoked for a second or two and cleared right up. The only thing I found that didn't work was the light on the back of the cab. The lack of damage is absolutely amazing, it went directly over backwards and onto its roof. It didn't even scratch any paint. 8) 8) 8)

Thanks again for any and all advice and good luck that was sent. It's always nice to get advice from people who have the t-shirt so to speak.

Ron Scott

Glad that you got going again without any further issues from the incident.
~Ron

TreesLogan

Very glad there was no damage must have had a guardian angel on that one.
When you wake up and realize you sarificed your passion for a dollar that never came. At least I am awake now. http://www.treeserviceloganut.com

Ron Scott

Prentice 210D Slasher starts a new job cutting products in a hardwood thinning; 4/17.

~Ron

nativewolf

Ron that is a very uniform looking pile of logs there.  My clearcut is going to average a greater DBH but they wont be nearly as uniform, all over in terms of size of logs.  Yours looks...almost perfect.  Is that all one species?
Liking Walnut

Ron Scott

Yes, it's mostly all beech with a few hard maple. 
~Ron

1270d

Not much slashing happening  anymore it seems like.   Are there many guys running tree length down that way Ron?

barbender

Plenty of slashing going on up in this country still. We have 2, plus a few contract cutters sith conventional crews. That's just our outfit, I don't know what the breakdown is percentage-wise, but I'd guess 60-75% of MN timber is still cut tree length and slashed. We're kinda the opposite, probably 80% of our volume is CTL.
Too many irons in the fire

chevytaHOE5674

Still know quite a few buncher/slasher crews over this way.

SwampDonkey

It pays if you have some nice but logs and good price . Local mills pay not much more than pulp price for hardwood logs ($230/mbf). Our better prices for hardwood were in the Maine market with the veneer.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

No, not as much tree length skidding and slasher work here like there use to be especially if grade logs are involved. Most is CTL and landowners prefer harvesters and rubber tired forwarding over tree length logging.

This job happened to be in a subdivision development with lot site clearings with mostly low grade sawlogs and pulpwood being removed so a slasher is being used.
~Ron

sawguy21

I attended the Interior Logging Association show in Vernon, BC this afternoon, the equipment display was impressive to say the least. 

Some of the equipment was huge like this feller/buncher.

This is not a good picture of a huge machine that at first I couldn't identify, it is a portable chipper.

One of the biggest grapple skidders I have ever seen.

This is a neat machine, a cab forward grapple forwarder. With the cab up the drive motors and hoses are readily accessible.

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mike_belben

Beautiful iron. Biggest thing about any of them is the payment!
Praise The Lord

sawguy21

They need to move a lot of wood to make these pay for themselves. The fellow I was with is a trucker with a lot of low bed experience, he didn't want to think about moving some of these pieces into the bush. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Puffergas

Looks like banker's bait.  😀
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

coxy

I new a guy years back that got a new jd540 and ran it a year and a half and never made a payment on it never worked around his home town always 1-2 hours away I think the only reason he got snagged was the truck broke down while he was moving it at night and the cops came along  :D

Ron Scott

The "Repo Man" is also known to work at night. ;)
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!