iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chevytaHOE5674

Ours was. That Caribou we had was very tippy and swinging and driving empty was a big no-no.

coxy

barbender

One of the nice things about the BuffaloKing I run is the stability- it is incredibly stable, especially with the tracks on. I've lifted the back a few times when empty, but that was with the extensions all the way out, just not paying attention. The problem is, the natural reaction when the back starts tipping is to reverse what you are doing (reaching out). Don't do that, just reach out and touch the ground, if need be, and it will set back down. Guys get scared and try to draw the crane back in, the back tips far enough that you lose your crane swing, causing the crane to swing to gravity, and over it goes. I'm afraid when I go over, it will be with a load on, on a side hill, from a high stump, and it's going to hurt :o
Too many irons in the fire

1270d

So this happened a couple weeks ago.  No one was injured but it was quite a project to put back on its feet. 

1270d

We had to hire a couple of hoes to help.   They had to tack about 3.5 miles back to our location.

1270d

The two hoes couldn't quite get it on their own and a push with tje forwarder was needed to put it over the rest of the way.   Another hour or so carefully working the oil out of the top side of the engine and it was running again.   One more day was spent repairing bent metal and replacing an electrical panel and she's back in business.

barbender

Ughh! That's just they way it goes in hills though, glad no one was hurt, especially while getting it back upright. Cables and chains make me really nervous. What does the Timber Pro weigh?

1270d

Weighs about 68k.   One cable gave out on us but he was able to slack it before it snapped all the way

coxy

glade no one was hurt   but wouldn't it be easer  next time to crawl under it and look for leaks than on its side  ;) :D must have been a different ride 

Ron Scott

~Ron

chevytaHOE5674

Got a "new to us" forwarder last week and already it fell over. ha

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

barbender

Did the boss do it again? That makes it easier :D What's the specefics on the "new to you" forwarder?

chevytaHOE5674

Yeah the boss did it again. Was fully loaded and trying to reposition to grab one last pile of wood on a steep hillside, backed up the last foot to the wood and up onto a stump on the high side and over she went.

The "new" machine is an 03 Buffalo, with like 17k hours on it. Just through the shop with all kinds of work done including all new paint/body panels/windows. They always say "the first scratch and dent are the hardest", well he put the 1st and 20th on at the same time. 

Ron Scott

Makes for a change in the work day. Always better when the boss does it. I've seen some very irate bosses and equipment owners in these situations. ;)
~Ron

chevytaHOE5674

My contingency plan if I ever flop the machine is to just get in the truck and go, send a text message from the road saying what happened and don't worry about sending my last weeks paycheck. hahaha :D :D

Frickman

I put a forwarder on its lid one time. I got on a side hill with a full load and over it went. I just shut it off and walked out of the woods. Made it home for lunch. My buddy brought his skidder over and between his Franklin and my John Deere we got it back on its feet. I let the oil settle for three days before I started it again. I only lost one quart of motor oil and one gallon of hydraulic oil. That wasn't bad. It may have been a quart low in the engine anyway.

I have never put a skidder on its roof, or even its side.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

lopet

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on September 21, 2016, 02:29:34 PM
Yeah the boss did it again. Was fully loaded and trying to reposition to grab one last pile of wood on a steep hillside, backed up the last foot to the wood and up onto a stump on the high side and over she went.

The "new" machine is an 03 Buffalo, with like 17k hours on it. Just through the shop with all kinds of work done including all new paint/body panels/windows. They always say "the first scratch and dent are the hardest", well he put the 1st and 20th on at the same time.

I can just imagine how that makes YOU feel :)    ......It wasn't me !!!......   
Gives you a lot more wiggle room for future negotiations. ;)
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

coxy

I know my first time it left a brown spot where it should not have been :-X :D :) ;D

g_man

Just a picture I took yesterday morning. Plan to start cutting some fir and pulling it up here tomorrow morning.

gg

1270d

Fall colors are starting to show here in the central UP.

Ron Scott

The fall colors make for nice photos.
~Ron

lynde37avery

Detroit WHAT?

Logger RK

Looks like a nice machine. 511 Hyro Ax with a 20 inch shear head? I have a 311 with a 16 inch HS Ax Head. Would like to get the bigger machine eventually.

WDH

I had a 10 acre loblolly pine plantation, 30 years of age, clearcut because of root rot and bark beetle mortality.  Harvest was done by Hill Logging, one of the very best that I have ever dealt with.  This stand yielded 36 semi loads on the 10 acres.  This crew had a tigercat fellerbuncher, one tigercat skidder, a John Deere processor, and a tigercat loader.  Took them 2 1/2 days.  They averaged 14 loads per day.  Average diameter of the logs was about 15". 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWj3rbcdPEE
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!