iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1270d

Have never worked far enough west to deal with whitetail.   R&r in lanse a time or two.   The scorpion has the active stabilization and is rock steady.   I'd be afraid it would be a lead balloon in swamps if the rubber was loaded.

chevytaHOE5674

This old girl doesn't have any fancy pants active stabilization :D, just the oscillation joint frame lock. But on hills reaching out to the sides with the frame locked the whole machine will get a little light from time to time. On a steep downhill If I reach the boom straight out and grab onto a decent sized tree the cab end of the machine will come off the ground if I'm not careful.

As far as weight all 4 boggy tires loaded up only adds like 4800lbs to the overall machine which still puts the machine under 49K which I think is what the scorpion weighs? Being an 8 wheeler your machine will float a lot better, the 6w Ergo sinks like a lead balloon under the cab in a hurry.

R&R in Lanse? Was that the place in the old ford dealership there on the hill going out of town?

1270d

Yes, was in the Ford dealer.   They closed over a year ago I think.  mine weighs around 55 k all tracked up.    Only thing I've been wishing for lately is balanced bogies.   We have been in some hills and the regular ones aren't nearly as good for climbing.

BargeMonkey

I'm not a fan of hammering a woodlot, I do everything I can to make sure that there is good wood left and a future for 15+yrs from now when my kid can come back and cut it. The guy who cut these 20+yrs ago didn't think that way. Cut the very best and ran, lots of small junk wood, alot of scarred wood, landowners basically told me to make it look good. 

I don't know how I went without one of these.  :D :D :D. It's not really that slow, spent some time and went thru it, now I won't part with it. Below 24" on the stump it doesn't care. 460 literally can't shovel me wood fast enough. Can't give firewood away right now. 

I rarely get to cut alot of good wood. Little bit here and there but alot of pulp and garbage. I will say stacking the brush in a few spots in the woods makes it so clean. It's almost scary now seeing how much ground and wood you can cut in 1 day. Be back in the cab by 7am.  :D

Ron Scott

I know what you mean with harvesting poor stands. We do a lot of stand restructuring and aesthetic improvement with stands that were "hammered" and high graded in the past. We are more landscapers than loggers. ;)
~Ron

1270d

Here is a shot of my ScorpionKing all ready to load up heading to a new job.   It's the only harvester that folds up like this.   Kind of a pain compared to some.
  The head had a bolt on guard over the top knife and this rests on the machine steps, which are bolted in place.

BargeMonkey

That is a bad looking machine.  :D  alot of hrs on it already ?

1270d

About 3200 now.   It's a sweet ride for sure.

g_man

The last two afternoons I used the TD7G to convert a rough old skid trail into a trail I can run my tractor and winch on. With a small dozer it can be challenging to find enough dirt to straighten out what the skidders left on rocky hillsides. Every big rock you push up either has to be buried or you need to find more dirt which brings up more rocks to fill the hole. These are my roads so to me it is worth the time. It is fun work and I have to concentrate so much I forget that it is hot out.

dustintheblood

Nice work g_man.  My oh my your woods looks just like mine.  This past spring I used a Cat 308 with a thumb to groom and layout new trails here (another post thread).  I too expressed how hard it is to scrape up a shovel full to drop into the holes after the rocks were either removed or moved around to get it smooth.

The final trail smoothing was a ton of work, but totally worth it.
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Ed_K

Bet your glad you don't live across the conn. river they have BIG rocks. I worked on some rds in the green mountain Nat. forest in the early 80, we would find open spots between trees on upper hill sides to get material for fills.
Ed K

Ken

The truck is getting a little help getting over the hill on a greasy morning.  I am so glad to have the harvester moved to a flat area with short yarding trails for a little while.  We have been working nasty side hills all summer.  The valley behind the landing is where these nice spruce logs came from.  Most of the block is tolerant hardwood but there are some dandy spruce.  The block has not been touched for many decades.

Lots of toys for working in the bush

Ron Scott

A good load. Hills can be a real pain to work. Some special knowledge and skills are needed.
~Ron

coxy

just wondering   how come you don't put chains on :-\ or is it easyer to push it out

chevytaHOE5674

Around here if the road is kind of loose all chains really do is let you dig down farther faster. Pushing is quick and easy.

Gearbox

coxy  if there are rocks in the road you will be repairing chains every time you put them on .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Ron Scott

This woodhauler makes time down the highway with a load of red pine saw bolts probably headed for an Amish sawmill.

~Ron

barbender

Fighting rain, hills, and ruts has been the norm in northern MN this summer. It could be worse, we're not flooder or anything like folks are dealing with other places.

A little deceptive rut fixing with the bucket

Like it never even happened ;D These little boogers come ride with me sometimes, our 3 youngest. It's one of the little blessings being able to bring the kids out with me

And finally, after slogging through mud and lots of bad terrain, with the accompanying poor production, it's nice to get a job like this. Red pine clear cut, very good production. 2 Ponsse Buffalo Kings, about 650 cords on the landing in 3 days.The only downside is for the landowner, this plantation got wiped out by a windstorm >:(

Too many irons in the fire

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

barbender

The challenge is to be neat and FAST ;) To be honest, we have more of an emphasis on the fast part, but I do my best to keep things as neat as I can while keeping the crane a-swingin' ;) I've had like 5 truck drivers say "thanks for the neat piles" in 4 years so I must be doing something right :) :D

snowstorm

Quote from: barbender on August 20, 2016, 11:26:14 PM
The challenge is to be neat and FAST ;) To be honest, we have more of an emphasis on the fast part, but I do my best to keep things as neat as I can while keeping the crane a-swingin' ;) I've had like 5 truck drivers say "thanks for the neat piles" in 4 years so I must be doing something right :) :D
you gotta stop putting these pictures of perfect wood piles on here. this is what i hear ...why dont your piles look like barbenders.......

Logger RK

I believe in neat piles also. Then we have trucks picking it up without having to call. I was told once by a trucker that I must sit a the bar and practice pilling straw's up when I'm not Logging. :D I always figure it's worth taking pride in your work. Even when fixing Eq,if it involves wielding I'll intial it & put the year,if there's room. I'm still seeing things my Dad fixed 40 years ago 8)

barbender

I'll share a secret with you guys- the camera makes things appear neater than they really are ;) The big pile on the far side of the hayfield was put up by the other operator, he tends to trend more to the "fast" than the "neat" :D The main thing I try to accomplish when making piles is that the trucks can reach everything and load with a minimum of fuss; they get paid by the load, I get paid by the hour. I try to keep the sticks laying level and parallel, I am less concerned with them being perfecly flush on the ends. Within 6" is close enough. Another area I can help them out is keeping as much brush and dirt out of the piles as possible. I could go faster if I just closed the bucket on the wood with no concern with what comes up with it- and some guys do. I figure forwarding in of itself is a  pretty simple job, it's how you deal with all the little issues that come up that can make you stand out ;)

Ken

I've had one small flat area since June.  Getting a little tired of nasty sidehills.  I'm having to use the excavator on some of these trails in order to make it accessible for the forwarder. My road into this block comes off the Route 8 hwy at the top of the pictures

Lots of toys for working in the bush

barbender

Pictures never do the hills justice. I'm thinking that is very steep though.

Thank You Sponsors!