Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1270d

Quote from: coxy on May 20, 2016, 07:23:05 AM
neat video  do you have much trouble jumping the tracks

Only when the UC gets pretty worn.

1270d

Quote from: BargeMonkey on May 20, 2016, 07:42:14 AM
Every manufacturer has jumped on the drone videos, love seeing that machine work. Why did you guys go barsaw in smaller stuff ? Got to ask, 4/5 of the bunchers around here are barsaw but it's because of stuff 24" up. New timberpro is 480-525???

This particular job is real small wood, not typical.   Usually we work in decent sized hardwood on rocky hilly terrain.   The head gets used a lot for uprooting trees and moving dirt to make better skid trails.  We may buy a disc saw head too if these type stands become more common.   

You pretty much take whatever job you can get during breakup

1270d

Quote from: Straightgrain on May 20, 2016, 10:09:01 AM
Cool video; thanks!

Machine and technique.

What are some of the reasons to harvest trees of that size & that scope (clear cutting)?

Will that area be replanted with a different (more profitable) species?
A parking lot?
Is that simply the size needed?

Thanks again.

This is 50-60 yr old aspen with balsam fir mixed in.   The aspen is not growing well and is poor quality so it is going.

Aspen stands are usually managed by clear cutting and it will regenerate quickly from the existing root system..

Straightgrain

Quote from: 1270d on May 20, 2016, 07:24:31 PM
Quote from: Straightgrain on May 20, 2016, 10:09:01 AM
Cool video; thanks!

Machine and technique.

What are some of the reasons to harvest trees of that size & that scope (clear cutting)?

Will that area be replanted with a different (more profitable) species?
A parking lot?
Is that simply the size needed?

Thanks again.

This is 50-60 yr old aspen with balsam fir mixed in.   The aspen is not growing well and is poor quality so it is going.

Aspen stands are usually managed by clear cutting and it will regenerate quickly from the existing root system..

Thanks, I'm in awe of that machine and the way it is being utilized.
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

barbender

Nice video, 1270 ;) I can see where being able to dump stumps would be a huge advantage for forwarding. I was bouncing over some big hardwood stumps on a sidehill today, thinking "I wish a barsaw buncher would've gotten rid of those for me" ;D I end up getting frustrated and pushing them out with the forwarder blade sometimes.
Too many irons in the fire

BargeMonkey

I have a friend jumping into the mechanical game right now, trying to show him the light on a disc saw for cutting bigger HW behind a cable skidder.  :D A barsaw head is slower, but you can do so much more, I routinely cut a road, yank stumps and move a few rocks that would require a dozer with the head. The timberpro's are so nice. Another semi local guy I know bought a new 725B, 300hp and longer track is nice. I think the tigercat barsaw with the lowen wrist is the barsaw head to have.  :D. 

Ken

Quote from: 1270d on May 20, 2016, 05:49:38 AM
The guys from Timberpro stopped by our job to take some film of our buncher.   

Don't think I've seen a buncher with a barsaw around here.  A disc would sure make short work of that poplar and fir.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

wannaergo

Someone asked awhile back for pictures of our ponsse h8 so here goes.

2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

barbender

How's the Ergo handling that big head, now that you have some time in it? One of our guys just went from a Bear (early model, I think it was the first one in North America) to a new Ergo 8w with an H7 head. He said the Ergo actually has more power. The Bear had seen a LOT of wood though ;D I think Ponsse is going to totally refurbish that machine-new head, crane, pumps.

wannaergo

It throws it around great! I wouldn't mind a little more boom power for horsing around big wood, but for the most part I'm thrilled with it. I found out today that it actually has h7 feed motors in it. It's super fast, and the power is impressive. That head builds up momentum right quick.
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

BargeMonkey

Doesn't like the big hardwood but any of the smaller stuff it chews it right up. Having trouble loading pictures, I'm cutting 2 jobs right now, on another small private road mowing down hemlock on certain days. Trying to get done on this one, about 1/2 done now.

barbender

Hey, that looks like a pretty big landing...er, header, for you ;)

Straightgrain

Quote from: BargeMonkey on June 05, 2016, 12:15:37 AM

Doesn't like the big hardwood but any of the smaller stuff it chews it right up. Having trouble loading pictures, I'm cutting 2 jobs right now, on another small private road mowing down hemlock on certain days. Trying to get done on this one, about 1/2 done now.

Your OPTEMPO is amazing; driving a barge, logging on two jobs. Much to be respected about hard working people.
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Straightgrain on June 05, 2016, 10:43:59 AM
Quote from: BargeMonkey on June 05, 2016, 12:15:37 AM

Your OPTEMPO is amazing; driving a barge, logging on two jobs. Much to be respected about hard working people.
Its called "indentured servitude".  :D :D :D. I should be home drinking beer and chasing woman the 2-4wks im off the boat, instead I just got in from 13hrs in the woods. But I enjoy it. Finally got some newer pics to load.
"Barbender", there was a "small" clearing there when I started, kind of hard to stack 800-1000 cord in one little spot.  ;D

That's yesterday afternoon. Behind the delimber is another wall from today. Kind of looks like the same picture over and over, there is 12X stacks running along the big stack now. People come up and have never seen that much wood in 1 spot before. 

I need another grapple skidder, can't feed the limber fast enough.

TSI work. It pays so I don't care. Cutting some hemlock down in the hole. I've got 150Kft of monster oak to cut right next door, whatever to keep them happy. 

We have 8 fulltime guys right now. My other home, wrenching on screens and greasing and fueling equipment. Gravel/stone/material is big business down here. Anyway back to the grind tomorrow.

Ron Scott

You're one busy person! ;) Great wood production.
~Ron

1270d

A little downhill work today in the Scorpion.   These won't climb like a tracked machine, but they can go down hills that make your stomach flip.

chevytaHOE5674

Looks familiar :D. Today was going down a hill and I just about had my feet on the dash to stay in the seat.

chevytaHOE5674

Never a good day when this happens... >:(

lopet

We all get those days, it's just part of the game.  :D

Do those boogies float ? Or can you apply pressure to the one side and limb out of the woods ?

Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

chevytaHOE5674

They float. That tire has had a bad bad sidewall for 2 years it was just a matter of time until it blew. I swung the boom off to the side and took some weight off it and drove it out. Then swung the boom farther over and unlocked the frame to get the tire up off the ground. Off was easy we will see about getting it back on tomorrow.

barbender

Yep, a flat tire is kind of a "groan" event :(

coxy

wonder how they would be foam filled  :-\

chevytaHOE5674

I'd imagine the ride would be rougher than heck. They are filled with calcium chloride but that still allows them to flex over rocks, stumps, logs, etc.

1270d

Who does your tire service?    All of my tires are dry, but I've heard a lot of ponsse guys run the juice for extra stability.   We also almost always have Pomps come change them in the woods.

chevytaHOE5674

We sorta do our own tire service. I took it off and took it to Whitetail tire down in Ewen, and had a new used tire mounted up. Came back and tossed it on and away we went this afternoon. The loaded tires make a huge difference in stability when reaching off to the sides. 

Thank You Sponsors!