iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Hey guys, try making your pictures 300 to 350 pixels wide before optimizing. that way they are big enough to see, but still small enough to optimize and retain quality for the 15k limit.

I must be getting old, I cant hardly see em. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Jeff

Cool pics guys. Whil I am at it, here is a tip that will help prevent future problems and a good rule of thumb when dealing with picture files for the internet, or anywhere for that matter.

When naming a file NEVER EVER use capital letters, spaces, or special charactors. They will give a web server fits.

example Mypicture #4.jpg  this breaks all 3 rules, and any one of them could or would cause a problem. The one special character that can be used without trouble is the underscore. Here is the way I would name this file.

my_picture4.jpg  or simply mypicture4.jpg

The uder score lest you make a discriptive name that is good for our gallery when trying to find the picture again.

Example: kevins_big_orange_mill.jpg is easier to find later then kevinsbigorangemill.jpg  and if you used Kevins big orange mill.jpg, you might never find it!

Paul_H

Jeff,is that why my picture showed up as an empty box at first?KW #2 should have been kw_log_truck2 or similar?

Also, I was using the Optimiser the hard way,not the right way.

Jeff

Yup, sure is. I went in and changed the file name and then fixed your post. Thats why you see it now. Yes, that file name would work well. Discriptive and won't make a webserver hic-up. :)

Paul_H

View of drysort from millsite.

Steve,offbearer for the Mobile Dimension.The fir log on the mill,would only fetch pulp price,so it was milled into 7"x10"x 20' planks for RR.Some beautiful clear edge grain came of as well.We are hoping to mill more of our logs,but this is a trial run.

Paul_H

One of the sort machines (966C Cat) helping out the 763 Bobcat.
The logs in the sort are bush hauled in from different blocks.As far away as 30 miles,average 15-20 miles.The off-highway truck hauls 60-70 m3.The logs are sorted by grade&species,then shipped out on hwy.trucks 2 1/2 hour to the water.More and more of our logs are also heading over the pass to the interior mills.

Corley5

That's quite a log 8)  Why only pulp price?
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Paul_H

Greg,
It was "rough" because it grew next to a large slide tract.Being in the open,it had some pretty large limbs.It was too big at 52" inside bark,for our standard sawlog sort,And too rough for our premium oversize.There aren't to many mills aroud here that can take,or want the big ones. :-/

It was somewhere between 260-300 years old.

Ron Scott

Red Pine Thinning. First thinning of red pine next to a golf course.

~Ron

Paul_H

Thats a nice looking stand.Are there many markets for the logs,finger joint,etc? The  Forest service in our district,are starting to put up similar,D-Fir,Western Hemlock timber sales.

Ron Scott

Roadside Loading Red Pine. Yes, there are good markets for red pine in this area. Depending upon size, it is marketed for utility poles, cabin logs, sawlogs, saw bolts, landscape timbers, fence posts, pulpwood, etc.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Hydro-Ax 321. The smaller three wheeled unit for light, close work.

~Ron

Bro. Noble

We have considered such an outfit as this or the three wheeled BELL harvestor.  We only log our own timber so wonder if we can justify one.  We have about 400 acres of mixed timber---mostly on steep hillsides and about 100 acres of planted yellow pine.

We see used ones advertised as low as $10,000---$30,000.  What's the chance of getting one in that price range that would be worthwhile for us.  Would we just be begging for trouble?

If you use the shear heads., how much of the butt is damaged?
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Ron Scott

I wouldn't use this unit on steep hill sides. It works best on flat terrain. A shear head may damage a foot or so of the butt depending upon the operator, shear maintenance, and tree species.

They are "pricey". Check the maintenane records and demo it when buying a used one. There are some good buys if one shops around a bit.

I believe this unit is for sale. It is located up in Michigan's western Upper Peninsula at Iron River, MI.
~Ron

Ron Scott

On the Road. "Highballing" on the  US 27 freeway with pine pulpwood load for the mill.

~Ron

Paul_H

How are the trucks unloaded? It looks like both trucks have a space between front and back.

Ron Scott

Truck Loader/Unloader. Located at rear of most semi's main bed. Center position allows loading/unloading of truck and its "pup".

~Ron

Steve

How long does it take to unload a truck and pup trailer like that?
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Ron Scott

Loading Time for truck and "pup" for the average operator is about 1 hour.

Unloading Time at the mill is about 20 minutes.

Mill will often unload you with its yard unloading equipment, but if there is a line-up of semis to be unloaded, they will let you go ahead and unload yourself. An advantage of such a "rig".

~Ron

Ron Scott

On the Road. Drive defensively. Watch for those small vehicles on the "blind" side.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Red Pine, 1st Thinning. A 3rd row removal. Short wood operation with chain saw. Slash looped and scattered.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Red Pine, 1st Thinning. The Iron Mule forwarder picks up the harvest wood along the thinned rows and runs over the remaining slash for aethetics and decay back into the soil.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Railroad Transportation. Wood products are also transported by rail. Hardwood pulpwood has been loaded into rail cars at the Gulliver Siding in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Timberjack 380C Grapple Skidder. On lowboy transport; being delivered to hardwood timber sale for road closure work.

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!