iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

WOW  :o 45,000 kilos isn't even allowed here on the highways. I can't imagine hauling that on off-road and rough roads.

Do you folks use BWS trailors? They make'm here in town, and most around here use'm for logging. I know they use'm in Ontario and Quebec in some places.

http://www.bwstrailers.com/logger.php
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Most used these Témisko trailers they are built at Notre Dame du Nord . Témiscamingue Qué.
 We had one truck that had three axle drive I'll get some pictures of ti later on and post them .. it had the extend a bunk on his trailer ... I beleive that it would extend 20" it would make a big difference in the center of gravety ....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

isawlogs,

Looks like a nice heavy duty trailor.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Swamp....
 they had to be .. not that I want to put them in a better quality , it just happened that they where built not far from where we worked ...
 Some of the trucks would be hauling at over 100,000 kilos crosse ,  
 we had little loads on at 60,000kilo net .... Most of it being placed on the front of the trailer so that the weight would be on the drives ....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

I'm stay'n outta those woods in winter. ;) :D

isawlogs

international paystar with heated sander , exhaust would go through the box of the sander , it being double walled and keep the sand from freezing .... most of the time ....
 We had three of these on the road at all times , one would be at the main camp at Tee Lake for a back-up...
 This one had a 400 cummins with 15 speed fuller , it had full lock on rear end ...

Marcel

Ron Scott

A Load of Sawlogs Is On Its Way To The Mill. The trip will take approximately 2 hours. The trucker will then make a return trip for another load. Sportsman's Port LLC timber harvest; 12/04.

~Ron

WV_hillbilly

Marcel
    those pictures of your 's show some extreme  log hauling .  It looks like it was a chore just to keep the roads passable . I have to agree with Swampdonkey  on stayin away from those woods . I thought we had  some problems dealing with coal haulers on our roads  .  Do I understand  that these roads where for the logging activities only .

Ron  
 That looks like a pretty heavy load of sawlogs on that truck also .  How many Bd/Ft can they haul in a load like that ?
Hillbilly

isawlogs

It was for hauling only .... had signs up at the begining of road and every 10 kilo.  ... but people dont know how to read  wether it be french or english or chinese for that matter . Made for some hair rising times at times ...
 It was not that hard to keep the road open the trucks would do it most of the time , at the speed we traveled the trailers would sweep the roads , only during major storms that the grader would be called to grade the road , or when there would be to much ice build up. the sanders wher out 24 hrs , two 12 hr shifts... We had 18 trucks and would haul 24 hrs ...
 I'll put more pic on when I dig them up ....
 Forgot to metion that we had 10 pickets on the trailers , the 8' where to short ...

Marcel

Ron Scott

10-12 MBF on our loads or about 50 tons.
~Ron

Norm

I really enjoy this thread it's one I always check. Thanks Ron for all the great pictures. :)

Marcel what kinds of logs were you guys hauling?

Ron Scott

Thanks Norm. The Thread seems to get a lot of interest. I enjoy the posts and photos of others here also. Marcel is now showing some of the hard work and effort that goes into winter logging and trucking.
~Ron

isawlogs

Norm ...
   Depending on which sector we were in . We had a login radius of give or take 175 kilometers from the log yard which was at Tee Lake , small logging town 20 kilometers from Témiscamingue in Québec .
 We would haule pine , spruce and balsam , poplar , and mixed hard wood .
 The pine was tree lenght so was the pulp , but the hard wood would of been cut by slasher in the bush , had 2 slashers going at it 24 hours .
 I'll go back on the photos that I put on and write down what type of wood was being drawn out ...
  I worked for this logging  outfit for 5 winters , it was at the time one of the largest privatly owned and operated logging companie in the province .
   We had during the peak winter months over 175 people on the payroll . Went from goffer , cooks, kitchen helper , mecanics , want to be mecanics , operaters, dozer, shovel ,skidder,back hoe, front loader, slasher , log loaders ,maintenance crew, welder , grader operator , truck drivers , and then all the office folks ... we had 2 foresters on and all the crew for the marking and blazing of the roads and trees to be cut down ...
 All this in three different camps that where spreads out the logging terrotory...
 all the camps had sleeping quarters , full kitchen dinning area
 One camp we had for the trucks to have a home base and had the garage
 The other two where ... one for the cutting crew , the other was for the road maintenance crew ... Sanders grader loaders the shovels once the cutters where done in one sector we would move into there camp and they would take ours ....

Marcel

Ron Scott

Some more wood hauler names noted on the road.

"Blackfoot"
"Tree Hugger"
"Red Hot And Rolling"
"Doc"
"Big Woody"
"Waxy"
"Scooby Duty"
~Ron

1953greg

i use a f-250 pu and 16' utility trailer w/ front mounted 4 ton winch. i fabricated a quad pod that attaches to rear of trailer that supports a pully bout 5' above trailer floor. i back trailer to big end of log, run cable through pully and attach to log bout 1' from near end then detach truck and begin winching. trailer will rear up til tail hits ground then log and trailer will come together then log wil raise onto trailer. then remove quad pod and reattach cable to log couple times to bring log farther onto trailer. as log is winched/loaded trailer will come down slowly. better have trailer chucked!  works really easy, kinda like a rollback wrecker.  i can haul up to a single 36" 17' log. thats about 5000lbs and thats all i need.  not much for production but for a hobbist/weekend warrior its great.  small potatoes compared to you guys.  1953greg  
good day    greg

isawlogs

1953greg
  Its not the amount of potatoes thats in the plate that counts .... trust me I would of being a lot less stressed out hauling your load .... ;)  And having a lot more fun ...
  Its what you get to do with whats in the plate ....
 Feel free to put some pictures on , we love to see what others do ....
 Oh and by the way welcome aboard , it is the first time I see you here ...

Marcel

SwampDonkey

I have a question for Ron S and those up in the area. I ahve been seeing alot of posts in here of thinning red pine. I was wondering if the natural red pine stands are growing in soil that tend to be reddish (iron rich). In New Brunswick the natural red pine grows on iron rich podzols. Of course we have red pine planted on darker soils of farmlands but I'm not counting those sites. I'm just curious.

Ron Scott

Swamp,

Much of our red pine here is on a well drained sandy soil. a lot of it is rubicon sand which is quite a sterile sand. If you have ever read the book, "The Lands That Nobody Wanted" that's where a lot of our red pine was planted, especially during the CCC era. Much of this is on National Forest and State Forest system lands.

There is also a lot growing on abandoned farm lands  which may be a darker sandy loam or loam soil.

~Ron

SwampDonkey

These soils are sandy clay loams with a clay dominated C (compact) horizon. They tend to be real snotty in the rainy season. The soil on the farm here is more sand dominated sandy-clay loam and dries fast after a heavy rain.Our sandy soils are dominated by jackpine-black spruce boreal-like forests.

As I said earlier I was most curious. I find it curious as to why our red pine prefer those soils over the more fertile humo-ferric or brunisols in our area. Well I have the answer, partially, those richer soils where dominated by hardwood which are more shade tolerant and longer lived than red pine. I never seen a red pine in a hardwood stand. ;)

BTW, I never heard of that book. Sounds interesting if not just for its historical content.

What is the CCC era? clear-cut carve and concrete? Remember I'm just a pour old northern hick not that well versed in the local abbreviations. :D

Minnesota_boy

Red pine will tolerate a lot of different soils, from sand to clay to mostly rock, but they do like sunshine.  We planted a few seedlings in our grove.  The ones on the south side against a field are 20+ feet tall, but one that was planted the same day but near some aspen that partially shaded it is only about 4 feet tall.  Same soil type.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

BW_Williams

Just trying to post a pic, load of English Walnut I got the other day.
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

SwampDonkey

Minnesota Boy:

I've also noticed red pine growing on rock cut faces along highways. You'd wonder how a tree can grow from solid rock. I suppose there is soil washed down into crevasses and the rock would be impermiable to water so it would hold there as well.

slowzuki

Have few pictures of a harvest taking place on my old stomping grounds growing up.  The land was sold by all the local farmers to Crabbe Lumber who is contracting the harvesting to RA Pheeny Logging and Trucking Company.

The harvesters are mounted on 2 escavators and a pair of huge JD grapple skidders are dragging all the bunches back.  A cable skidder crew is working the area next to the stream as it is too steep.

slowzuki

The hill they are working the cable skidder on and the dozer for road repair.  The skidder sits outside the stream buffer area and drags cut trees out of the buffer area to the skid road.  The clearcut part is about 1000 acres or so now and growing.

SwampDonkey

Slowzuki,
Was just wondering if you see Gary Goodwin or Marc Blanchard superviing the job. I don't know if they travel that far south. Just curious. I worked with Marc a few years before he went to Crabbe Lumber.

cheers

Thank You Sponsors!