iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannaergo

New machine showed up today. Ponsse ergo, 8 wheel, H8 head. Now I gotta learn how to run the dang thing.

2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

1270d

sure is purty!  Have to change name to gottaergo now.

chevytaHOE5674

Is that the C44+ boom? Don't see too many of that style, most have the C5 sliding style. That H8 is a monster of a head, not as fast as a H7 but has lots of power. Would love to be running that.

Gary_C

Did you stay with the Ergo to get that H8 head? Or was it too long a wait for a Scorpion?

I know another guy that wanted a H8 head on a Scorpion and Ponsse said no.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Gary_C

Quote from: timberlinetree on April 03, 2016, 06:15:15 AM
Nice! Does anyone run duels on these forwarders( for stability)?

On my 6 wheel machines, I mostly run tracks on the bogeys year around for both flotation and weight (stability). Other guys that don't run tracks sometimes use fluid in the bogey tires for stability but that can cause some rutting and compaction.

It also depends on the size of the bogey tires on the 6 wheelers. Some guys run 600's for bogeys for better navigation between the rows in pine stands. The guys that run the narrower tires are more likely to use fluid in the tires. I run 700's and tracks but lately have been running without tracks on the forwarder because I've had to run down some county roads sometimes.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Gary_C on April 08, 2016, 01:40:19 AM
I know another guy that wanted a H8 head on a Scorpion and Ponsse said no.

Yeah only the H7 head on the Scorpion King. As the salesman told me the Scorpion is really just to lure the John Deere 1270 guys over to Ponsse as the rotating cab/boom is the style they are used to and were asking for. The Ergo is still the workhorse of the fleet.

wannaergo

Yeah we wanted the H8 head, because we cut a lot of hardwood. We went with the c44+ Because it's the only crane that will work with the ergo-h8 combo. That head is pretty dang fast as well as powerful.
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

thecfarm

wannaergo,that will move some wood. I see you got some new snow.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

Nice, If you have time can you get a closer pic of the head?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

1270d

My c50 scorpion boom is the same as the c44+ with the exception of the over the cab wishbone (I think).   I'm hoping after a few years of production the boom proves out enough to order the h8/scorpion combo.     

barbender

We just got a new Ergo 8 wheel, with an H7. It's still sitting in the Ponsse yard, it's too wet to get in the woods ::)
Too many irons in the fire

JLeBouton

JP Skidmore CF-22 installed on a Timberpro TN 725C for Jacobs Logging in Antigo, WI

wannaergo

Didn't barko have some kind of rights to that head?
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

JLeBouton

Quote from: wannaergo on April 16, 2016, 08:05:32 PM
Didn't barko have some kind of rights to that head?

That was the CF-18.

wannaergo

Oh gotcha. If I was to run another fixed head, I would absolutely go with the cf-22. Looks like a great head. I was talking to the barko salesman, and if it's as fast in the woods as it is on paper, it's pretty impressive. I just don't have any interest in going back to fixed.
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

barbender

How are you liking that H8 dangle head, wannergo?

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

wannaergo

Quote from: barbender on April 16, 2016, 10:32:13 PM
     How are you liking that H8 dangle head, wannergo?

We got shut down a few days after it showed up, so I only have maybe 15-20 hours on it, but I sure enjoyed them.  The head is super fast, powerful, and the machine is smooth. I'm getting a little bit antsy sitting at home and not cutting wood. Hopefully be back to work in a week. Good thing we haven't paid for it yet.  :D
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

Firewoodjoe

I see some deeres are getting skidmores also.

Firewoodjoe

I just looked again to be sure. Ones on YouTube with a cf-20. It's a 4 roller much like the fabtec style

1270d

New TL725.  Should be working within a week.

barbender

Is that a bar saw head, 1270? Do you guys bunch all of your wood?

1270d

Yes sir, 32 inch barsaw.    Pretty much all the wood is bunched anymore.  I still cut soft ground and miscellaneous other stuff with the harvester, but pretty much all chasing the buncher.

1270d

barbender

What is the advantage of the barsaw head, vs. a hot saw? More control? Just curious. One of our contract guys just picked up an older buncher and is trying that method out. Other than that, we have a few state Red pine final felling clearcuts where it is specified in the contract "full tree skidding only". It basically wipes out all the underbrush and opens up the soil. The state figures they are getting their site prep for replanting for free, and I can't argue with them. Some of those will be bunched, pulled in with a skidder to the landing, and processed by a CTL harvester. Other than that, we pretty much just fall with the harvesters.

Thank You Sponsors!