iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

And the operators have a few hours under their belt. ;)
~Ron

BargeMonkey

Figured I would post a couple pictures to this thread to keep it alive. 

Got her fired up today, never used a stroke delimber before but I've got a fair amount of hemlock to cut. Im a sucker for the older iron that still keeps working and was paid for when it got off the trailer.  :D

timberlinetree

That delimber would look really nice with a new coat of paint. Neat and handy machine! Work safe!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

snowstorm

jwilly3879

New job and waiting for the loader to get towed over, makes it so much easier than this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up1S38r3NwU&feature=youtu.be

1270d

Put some new delimbing knives on the harvester Saturday afternoon.   The new ones are longer with a different curve, should be better for picking from the ground.

coxy

how expensive are they    are they easy to install

chevytaHOE5674

Not sure on the price but they are relatively easy to install. One short pin for each knife and then the cylinder.

eichenberg93

Couple pictures from last week. Finally got the slasher fixed up and on a job.                                           

lynde37avery

Detroit WHAT?

AfraidChocker

You guys are going to laugh, but right now I use a simple Kubota, but hope to upgrade soon to a small bulldozer.

As a sheep farmer, I have no intentions of arriving at the pearly gates in a well preserved body, rather I am going to slide into heaven sideways with my Kubota tractor, kick the manure out of my muck boots, and loudly proclaim, "Whoo Hoo, another Sheppard has just arrived!"

thecfarm

I must have pictures of mine 40hp in this thread somewheres. My Father and me hauled out ALOT of white pine well over 3 feet across with that poor tractor. No pictures of that operation. I was always going to take pictures,but never did.  ::) That was before I hit the digital age too.
You will be surprised how many log like that on here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

AfraidChocker

Well you would be surprised how many #3 white pine logs go through our Thomas Bandsaw mill. We tell the truck driver, if they scale at #3's; haul them back and we'll make boards out of them ourselves!!

We have used everything here, from horses to feller-bunchers, but over all have just used tractor the most. On a short twitch and good ground I can get out 12 cord in two days and burn 7 gallons of diesel doing so. That is not bad. However, there are locations on my land that have yet to see a chainsaw only because I can't get back that far/in the wet areas with my little tractor too. I hope to change that with a dozer.

Here is one such area. Do you think it needs a wee bit of thinning?  :D

As a sheep farmer, I have no intentions of arriving at the pearly gates in a well preserved body, rather I am going to slide into heaven sideways with my Kubota tractor, kick the manure out of my muck boots, and loudly proclaim, "Whoo Hoo, another Sheppard has just arrived!"

thecfarm

Yes,I have some areas that still look like that. I have had my land logged 3 times so far. Hard to keep up with the trees with one chainsaw and one tractor. As you well know.
I have a OWB and I burn ALOT of dead wood in that. But still there is no way to keep up with what is dieing and what needs to be cut.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

AfraidChocker

For me it is going around the edges of the fields. It seems like by the time I get aound them all, it is time to go back. When I took over the farm in 2008, some of the fields had 50 feet of space from the rock wall to the first row of corn. One field I have is exactly 1 mile in circumference around it. Do the math on that and you come up with 7 acres I was losing! That is a lot.

The USDA gave me grief, says it is wildlife habitat, but Mylanta, I think they got plenty of places to perch besides 7 acres of prime farmland. My Forefathers worked hard with axe, oxen and matches to make this a field, the least I can do is try and keep it cut back to the rock walls they built!

One thing I do too is go around and bat down the upper branches with an excavator. All it takes is one long limb jutting out into the fields and the boys, as they roll along with tractors now encased in glass, to swerve out around it, and soon you have sapling encroachment again!

thecfarm

I have fields too,but not that big. It's a never ending job. I need to trim around them this year. I only did enough last year to get the mower through the limbs. Than its the boundary lines that need to be kept clean. I won't even mention the rocks I dig out of the field. Than I am claiming back an old pasture. Rough and rocks are the keywords with that project. I am trying to cut some trees so I can see into the field as I come up the road. I bought back 7 acres of the farm and cut off the corner of that grown up field so I could see the corner of the field and keep track of the deer down there. But I enjoy it all. Wish I could just retire early and work here every day.

AfraidChocker

Oh I know the feeling!

I work 80 miles away at BIW and absolutely HATE it. We have 1600 people applying for 9 jobs and I want OUT. Sure wish I could make it farming and logging, but it is so hard to give up that weekly paycheck which is really a security blanket.

I have cleared back some land myself; 12 acres so far with another 20 planned. It is a little easier for me probably because I can justify it with sheep. It is more work because they require a little work every day, rather than a lot of work on a single day like logging, but when ten of them grow to full size in 5 months instead of taking 35 years or more to grow to marketable size, the cost per acre is a lot better.

I'll never cut all my wood off for Agriculture, just some places that make better sense too. Here the Amish are really driving up the value of tillable land. In 1992 we planted fields into trees because no one wanted to farm them and paper mills were going gang busters. Now it has swung the opposite way. No paper mills left and everyone wants fields. That is a long way of saying, you can't rent fields anymore so a lot of farmers like me are clearing land.

Ken

I don't think I have the appropriate equipment for the end of this job.  Should have bought a buncher and chipper.  Can't really complain though as the remainder of the winters job was pretty good.   Finished cutting this morning and the forwarder finished this afternoon.  Time to idle for a few weeks.

Lots of toys for working in the bush

BargeMonkey

Add a couple pictures from the last week. 

Starting to get a pile.

Lots of ugly hw. Maybe 5% makes a log, it was high-grade 25yrs ago and it shows. 

There's that fuel carrier I had talked about, it's all lagged down and fixed now, that was the trial run so it was just strapped in. Works great so I'm not fighting to get fuel to my loader. Got the big hand pump, not pleasant to pump so it discourages theft.

coxy

Barge at least if you get the skidder started at -20 the fuel in the tank should be nice and warm from the fan for the other toys

timberlinetree

Lots of nice iron and great jobs! Thanks for posting and work safe!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Ron Scott

~Ron

BargeMonkey

Coxy-  had never thought about that but I bet it would warm up fuel, she does move alot of air, at least get something out of the 40-55gal of fuel she drinks every day. 

1 jack helping another jack.  :D. I caught a stick in the center and it didn't end well. 1 of the cab jack hoses was bad, so lifted the cab and replaced 4 hoses yesterday. 

Had a guy on FB tell me that "you can't get any wood" with a grapple skidder. Yes sometimes cable is the only way to go, but working behind a buncher you will curse all day long with cable getting bunches. I tried to buy a semi-clean 640D with a 400 winch last week but the guy won't haggle at all.  :D
Head back to the boat next week, I doubt this arrives before I leave. 1600hrs, leslie equipment guarding package, she is fast. 

Haven't been on much, get home and crash. Trying to pound out this woodlot, only about 30% done so far.

Plankton

Nice shots barge! That's a serious hitch on there!

Snapped this photo yesterday hard to tell but 600 ft and a pulp twig all the old girl wanted.

Another good one for the clark 664

About a truck and a half there yesterday, shipped one load out today. One of these days Ill get a photo or video of the walking deck trailers these logs go out on.

coxy

those walking floor trailers are neat the only thing they are a pita to load with the bars going a crossed the top and have to load from the back we did 3 one day the one old guy showed us how to do it (the last guy ) the other 2 all they did was complain how we were doing it that was the first time I ever saw them trailers and how they worked

Thank You Sponsors!