iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Probably month and day... Sept. 15 for example.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chester_tree _farmah

Quote from: Ron Scott on September 21, 2015, 06:01:44 PM
Roadside Timber Harvest, 9/15.
This is a small property area along a gravel county road where the hardwood timber was selectively cut and skidded to the roadside where the truck loaded it up for transport to the mill. One truck load was about the total amount of the harvest.

Wow Ron - how did that work out? I mean it wouldn't seem one load would be worth moving equipment for? Was it mostly veneer?
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Puffergas

That's the size job we looked for. 👍
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

chester_tree _farmah

ohhh I forgot it was in Michigan. One truck with 32 wheels.  ;D
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

timberlinetree

Late summer in southern new england 9/15 processing ash fire wood and sorting out logs.

87 132 franklin forwarder
81 timberjack 230 super E
91 f superduty
Brute splitter/convory
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

WH_Conley

I have the twin to that F-Super Duty. Same year, color and all. Slow as the dickens but will pull anything.
Bill

BargeMonkey

That forwarder saves alot of work and your back in the FW piles, she looks good, and that 4.5 is the engine to have.

Ron Scott

Teakwood,

Yes, 9/15 or 8/15 are just the month and year of the activity. I like to keep track of the activities by month and year so that I post current items, and yes a small road side timber harvest needs to have some veneer and very good quality timber to make it worthwhile for anyone to make a commercial harvest of it.
~Ron

teakwood

Thanks. I feel like a dumba.., i could a have figured that out by myself.

Nice pics
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Ron Scott

~Ron

Ron Scott

Under direction of the logging boss, a good forwarder operator will earn his wages by sorting out the different hardwood forest products of veneer, grade logs, pulpwood, and firewood to await pickup and delivery by the trucker to the different marketing designations to maximize profits.

~Ron

SFires

Not sure if it really counts but here's my daily driver. Company I work for clears power line right aways. There's a mower that'll follow behind me chipping up everything that I trim down
A man can always use more tools, more space,more wood, and a whole lot more time.

1270d

Nice morning over the river.

We just finished a thinning on top of this hill.   A bit thick, but there are some nice views through the trees.    This overlooks an area that our company has been cutting in for 30+ years.  (Lots longer than I've been cutting)

lopet

Quote from: SFires on October 09, 2015, 07:55:02 PM

Not sure if it really counts but here's my daily driver. Company I work for clears power line right aways. There's a mower that'll follow behind me chipping up everything that I trim down

Sure that will count.
Jaeraff ?  Deutz diesel ? Hydrostatic drive ?

Just curious, if I am not mistaken it's powered only with a 80 Hp motor.  I take it with all that weight it's not moving fast or probably doesn't have to.
What really interests me is the drive system. Is there a hydraulic motor on each differential , or is there just one on the transfer case ?
Btw , mowers count too. :)
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

ScottAR

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

barbender

1270d, any trout in that river? Nice pics.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

Most of the ground we harvest in north central MN is relatively flat or rolling, but occasionally we get into some decent hills.

It's always a challenge to get the pesrpective of hills in a picture, but this one got steeper the farther I went up, until I finally lost traction. I didn't have any tracks or chains on the machine at the time, which reduces traction some. Actually, I think chains all the way around, versus tracks, would give the most traction for hills.

1270d

Quote from: barbender on October 10, 2015, 09:40:21 AM
1270d, any trout in that river? Nice pics.

I think probably too close to the head waters of this particular river for trout.   Might be but more than likely just chubs.   

Also agree that chains provide better traction for hill climbing than tracks.   CTL stuff doesn't climb that well, but you sure can go down a hill that most other machines won't.

barbender

I just saw a CL ad in WI for a Valmet rubber tire harvester that looked like it was converted to 4 D4 dozer undercarriages- I think that thing could go cut places that you could never get to to pick up. Unless of course, you had a forwarder set up the same ;D

barbender

A friend of mine just moved out to Oregon to set up a new Ponsse shop in Colberg. He said they are setting up some of the machines with an aftermarket drive integated winch system for really steep slopes.  These machines are cutting slopes that previously were only accessible with cable logging systems. He told me he was riding on the bench seat in a harvester the other day, trying to troubleshoot something, while working a slope somewhere in the area of 35° (I don't remember what that would be in % of slope, 45° is 50% I think). Anyhow, he said it was no fun at all :)

beenthere

45° is 100% slope

27° is near 50%

90° is infinite %   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

1270d

that syncro winch system, or whatever its called is supposed to be 100+G's.  the nicest softwood in the world out there sounds like, so i guess it must pay.

Ron Scott

Firewood is decked in the pile on the right and noted with pink flagging ribbon to earmark it so that it is not removed by the trucker. This firewood deck will be about 20 full cords which is to be left as compensation to the private landowner who let us cross 1/2 mile of his property to get to the timber harvest area on other adjoining private lands to the south of his property. He also let us stage the landing/decking area on his property for pickup by the trucker. His only request was that we provide him with about 15-20 cords of firewood and be done prior to September 7th, Labor Day so as not to interfere with his upcoming hunting seasons on the property. We finished in plenty of time and all parties were satisfied with a a job well done, 9/20/15.

~Ron

SFires

A man can always use more tools, more space,more wood, and a whole lot more time.

SFires

its a Kershaw skytrim I believe it 105 hp   with a hydrostatic drive    and noits not the fastest machine in the forest barely 13 mph in high gear but she'll slooooowwwwwlllllyyyyy crawl about anywhere I wanna go.  tomorrow ill try to take a couple pics of some mowers.  got a pic of a special mower id like to show but it wont load       

Thank You Sponsors!