iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chevytaHOE5674

Yeah after a few trips to Rhinelander I was able to drag home 3 differentials as they call them (which is the axle housing from brake to brake and weighs overs 1k lbs). The best one that was supposed to work ended up having a different gear ratio, one ended up not having a ring gear in it at all, luckily the third unit was usable so my brakes and boggies are getting bolted to it and hopefully into the machine in the next day or two. Hopefully be cutting wood by Thursday. 

A gear set is still at least another week away from Finland... Hopefully we won't end up needing it.

No more pulling loaded log trucks around for this harvester. haha

barbender

We always use the forwarders for pushing/pulling trucks, if for no other reason than the boss wants the processors out cutting wood. I like to keep about half a load of wood on the forwarder when I'm pushing, it gives a lot more traction.
Too many irons in the fire

chevytaHOE5674

No way our old worn out Caribou is going to pull a 160,000 lbs truck around. It has all it can do to move itself. ha

g_man

Using a Dresser TD7G dozer to convert an old skid trail made by a cable skidder during a heavy harvest 20 years ago into a tractor road for lighter footprint TSI harvest activities.

gg

Ron Scott

Good use in planning for use of the area's infrastructure developed from previous harvest operations and improving upon it for the access needs in the area's ongoing forest management.
~Ron

barbender

:(
Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on September 07, 2015, 10:43:04 PM
No way our old worn out Caribou is going to pull a 160,000 lbs truck around. It has all it can do to move itself. ha

I forgot you have the big trucks to push :o The heaviest ours can run (legally ::)) is #102,500, in the winter, on a 6 axle rig. I've had to push trucks up some fair sized sand hills with the ol' Buffalo king, and it's not uncommon for me to drop the blade and roll out a big stump that I get sick of bouncing over, either. The standard Buffalos have nearly as much power. We've never had any Caribou machines, there was an Elk in the fleet when I started, it had a reputation for being gutless. There were a few Wisent models around before I came to work here too, but they all got sent down the road as well. From what I gather about the Elk, it was kind of a toss up what was weaker- the engine, or the hydrostatic transmission. It really struggled on hills, to the point that guys would have to haul half loads. The local Ponsse guys even got authorization from the factory in Finland to bump the pressures up on the tranny, to help the poor thing out a bit. I did have to replace a valve on the Buffalo king when I got it because it didn't want to climb hills or push stumps. The Ponsse tech came out, we replaced some parts and reset some pressures, now I can have all the wood I can fit on and climb any hill I've came across (or spin out)  I will say, the Buffalo king isn't a lot of fun in first entry pine thins though.

barbender

Do you guys (Corley and 1270) have blades on your Caribous? I just ask because I only pull trucks if absolutely necessary, 99% of the time I push them with the blade.

barbender

g man, that TD 7 looks like a nice machine ;)

1270d

We don't have it anymore, but the caribou had a blade.   A small one.

chevytaHOE5674

Our Caribou has a small blade on it, good for pushing around loose dirt, no way your pushing much of a stump out. haha

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

barbender

lumbertick

We use our blades on our fabtek skidders everyday. Been doing CTL for 7 years now never had a dozer on the job yet.

Ron Scott

Forwarding to the landing with the Valmet 646 and making the sort of the hardwood wood products, 8/15.

~Ron

BargeMonkey

That looks like a very clean and neat job, forwarders are the way to go if you can run them.

Ron Scott

Sorting the cut hardwoods into their various product piles for hauling makes for good marketing of the different forest products, 8/15.

~Ron

Maine logger88

Some pine logs on a job I just started

79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Ron Scott

Processing Northern Hardwoods with the 1270E john Deere, 8/15.

~Ron

chester_tree _farmah

Quote from: Maine logger88 on September 14, 2015, 09:38:27 PM
Some pine logs on a job I just started

Hmmm at first I thought that was a Clark lurking in the shadows. :) What r u getting for pine logs down there logger88? Thinking about cutting some. B mostly 2 and 3s and pallet.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Maine logger88

No it's my 540 I have used a Clark a few different lots tho! I've been averaging 315 ish after trucking Which isn't to bad
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Ken

I've got a nice block to work on over the next few weeks.  There is however nearly a km of road to build in order to access it.  Time to beef up the excavator bucket so called in someone better on a welder than me.  It's getting pretty thin so adding some wear bars and hard surfacing other areas.  Notice the fully stocked service trailer I picked up a few weeks back.  Great addition to my operation

Lots of toys for working in the bush

timberlinetree

That shop trailer will be real handy to have.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

BargeMonkey

Having a portable shop trailer would be so handy, I just worry about getting ripped off or it burning.  :o  lately if things aren't glued down around here you would show up in the morning to an empty trailer. Is any of your road work subsidized or does the cost fall on you for 100% of it ?

Ron Scott

Roadside Timber Harvest, 9/15.
This is a small property area along a gravel county road where the hardwood timber was selectively cut and skidded to the roadside where the truck loaded it up for transport to the mill. One truck load was about the total amount of the harvest.

~Ron

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Thank You Sponsors!