iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

View of the inside of the cab of the John Deere 1270E Processor showing computer screen, map and specs. file of timber sale, etc. ,8/15

Cutting Head. With the skilled operator, the machine was able to cut up to 20" hardwoods quite well. A hand cutter and forwarder followed up for cutting the larger diameter hardwoods.

~Ron

Ken

Did you get to take it for a drive Ron?
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Ron Scott

~Ron

1270d

The 270 is supposed to be a great hardwood head.

Ron Scott

Yes, I was very surprised as to how it handled the large hardwoods with ease. Very few trees were left for the followup hand-cutter. Much less than i thought there might be.
~Ron

chester_tree _farmah

254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Ron Scott

The Valmet 646 Forwarder works behind the John Deere Processor which has now finished its work and is being moved on to another job site. 8/15

~Ron

lumbertick

How much production did he get a day in that stand?

Ron Scott

He did 260.35 MBF in17.5 operating days so he averaged 14.9 MBF/day with some minor down times and terrain issues of hills and wet areas.
~Ron

1270d

here is a short clip processing a couple of hard maple the other morning.  Sometimes its easier to zip em with the saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saAXbFqdNLk

barbender

Looks good, 1270d ;) Most anyone can keep a head zipping in clean softwood, but an operator that can keep things moving in limby hardwood knows what he's doing ;) That head tilt function looks handy.
Too many irons in the fire

chevytaHOE5674

Just before the ring and pinion went in our harvester I was processing a bit of bigger black spruce and cedar and it was a real treat to cut compared to the rough hardwood I've been cutting since early last winter.

I really like that H7 head. Boss keeps talking about trading the current Ergo in on a later model with the C5 crane and H7 head. After watching your videos I really wish he would.

snowstorm

Quote from: 1270d on September 04, 2015, 09:27:33 PM
here is a short clip processing a couple of hard maple the other morning.  Sometimes its easier to zip em with the saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saAXbFqdNLk
you can tilt the head part way and use the saw? mine the has to be all the way up or down

1270d

Yes. Ponsse calls it proportional tilt.  Works like a charm.   One button for tilt up, one for tilt down.  Hold a button till your desired angle then release and it stays there.   Tap a button to go back to floating tilt.   
  The 480 head could do this, but not as easily.   There was a function button to enter proportional mode, then set tilt angle.
The first harvester I ran was a Logman 801, with an AFM 60L.   It had the same tilt function as the Ponsse.

Jhenderson

That's quite a machine, but at this point in my life I can't even imagine having to run in the dark just to make payments. I've grown too used to watching the sun come up with my wife at the breakfast table.

Ken

Quote from: 1270d on September 05, 2015, 10:02:28 AM
Yes. Ponsse calls it proportional tilt.  Works like a charm.   One button for tilt up, one for tilt down.  Hold a button till your desired angle then release and it stays there.   Tap a button to go back to floating tilt.   
  The 480 head could do this, but not as easily.   There was a function button to enter proportional mode, then set tilt angle.

My 480 head has a button to set the tilt angle for cutting leaning trees, etc but when I hit the saw button it automatically dumps.  I must ask the dealer technician  if there is a setting that will allow it to stay up which would work great for cutting some hardwood limbs.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Jhenderson on September 05, 2015, 06:38:16 PM
That's quite a machine, but at this point in my life I can't even imagine having to run in the dark just to make payments. I've grown too used to watching the sun come up with my wife at the breakfast table.

Running in the dark UP here this time of year might just mean you started cutting at 7am... haha. Couple more weeks and its lights on until 8am or later.

1270d

ken, if i remember correctly, holding your head open function the entire time you tilt will keep it in position without dumping.   I was real used to propping the 480 saw box against things and then pushing the head into position for cutting limbs.   easier than JD's tilt rigamarole.

We get cutting around six, tahoe is right, sometimes lights on still at close to nine (in the winter)  Right now i like the lights till around 730.  We don't work crazy hours.  Ten hour days is average.   I have met some who have slept in the machines or the truck.

snowstorm

the sun comes up late out your way but when dose the sun go down? here in november it will be dark by a little after 4pm

1270d

Maybe 5 or 530 on around the shortest days

Clark

You have to remember that he UP is at the far western end of the eastern time zone. Things get funny with that. Maine is on the other end of it so comparing time of day for events is somewhat silly. The UP probably has a little more daylight during the winter than Maine but for practical purposes we all receive the same # of hours during the winter.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Ron Scott

Forwarding CTL northern hardwoods to the landing, 8/15.

~Ron

chet

Quote from: Clark on September 06, 2015, 05:32:05 PM
You have to remember that he UP is at the far western end of the eastern time zone.
Clark

Not really    ;D    Some of us western counties are on the far eastern side of the central time zone.   ;)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

chevytaHOE5674

Just like Ken's pictures from a few pages back except we were able to get the machine steam cleaned and into shop to work on it.

And a few teeth missing off the ring gear will cause you all sorts of issues.

1270d

Thank You Sponsors!