Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gww

Ron
Thank you for the responce.
gww

wfcjr

Quote from: Ron Scott on July 12, 2015, 10:56:17 PM
The rubber tired equipment handles the terrain well though chains are needed during the deep snow season and when working excessive hill terrain. Having good rubber on the tires helps a lot. ;) The tracked machines may be more versatile overall but with a little less speed and more ground impact.

Do you ever run chains on the wheeled (rubber tired) equipment year round?  I am finding that our tractor ag tires are getting beat up in the woods by rocks, ledge, etc.  Thinking about running chains year round.  Others have cautioned against this due to possibility of chains picking up & slinging exposed branches, slash, etc, that would otherwise be under snow in winter.  But I am thinking more & more that the chains will protect the rubber in woods & tough terrain.

Thoughts???

Ed_K

I run chains on the landini yr round, I replaced the rear tires with nokia forestry tires last fall (@$3000.) and the farm tires still had good tread after 10 yrs. Chains are definatly cheaper.
Ed K

Maine logger88

I run chains all the way around all year on my skidders and wouldn't have it any other way
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Puffergas

Used chains year round with the farm tractor and doodlebug.. 😉
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

coxy

I run them year round to ice chains    thinking of putting bear paws on just for the summer  any thoughts on that

jwilly3879

Ice chains on the back and rings on the front all year.

Ken

Some days are better than others in this racket.  Noticed something wonky in the bogeys early this morning so took them off machine.  Hard days work.  Now to strip them down and find/fix the problem.

Lots of toys for working in the bush

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

barbender

Quote from: Corley5 on July 21, 2015, 09:00:27 PM
Oh my :-\  That looks bad :-\
X2, what's up with it that you had to tear the whole diff out?
Too many irons in the fire

lopet

Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

snowstorm

they look like gear driven naf rears. my valmet has chain drive naf that says valmet on it. my rottne has gear drive naf that says rottne on it. what dose wonky sound like???crash bang ? or scrunich?

Ron Scott

Not a good working situation. Hope it turns out better than it looks.
~Ron

Ken

Quote from: barbender on July 21, 2015, 10:25:41 PM
X2, what's up with it that you had to tear the whole diff out?
[/quote]

I seem to have gotten off very lucky.  When travelling back in the trail Tuesday am I noticed one side of the bogies jumping a bit.  I stopped, got the other operator and had him try it while I was on the back of machine.  When he tried it the bogies on the opposite side would not spin.   We then unhooked the driveshaft and assisted the machine to roadside with the harvester and tore it down. 
When we stripped it apart yesterday morning the all components looked great  8).  There was however a huge build up of pressure in the differential.  We believe that one of the brake cylinders was leaking by and the vent plug was not releasing all the pressure thereby causing the brakes to lock on.  It may have been overkill to tear it apart but now I know what the inside looks like and can have confidence that it should last a long time.  Far too often I have seen machinery run too long when something was not right and consequently ended up with larger issues.  Hopefully start putting it back in machine tomorrow.   

barbender

Those brake cans are notorious for leaking hydraulic fluid into the differential and overfilling it. We draw straws to see who has to pop the plug to check the oil level, because a lot of times there is pressure built up and you get a shower of gear lube/hydraulic oil >:( You seem like a head first kinda guy, Ken!
Too many irons in the fire

Ron Scott

Thinning in some hills of northern hardwoods. Riehl timber harvest, June, 2015.

~Ron

1270d

Looks like that area was just cut a couple years ago?   Or just skidding through a previous cut?

Ron Scott

Good observation! The lower valley area that we are primarily skidding through was high graded
10-12 years ago. We are now harvesting much of the hillside timber that was previously left.
~Ron

Ron Scott

Hardwood sawlogs are being decked along a seasonal access road, The seasonal road is elevated above the lower landing/decking area where the trucker will park along the road side and load the logs. All wood should be hauled this week and the timber harvest contract will be closed. Riehl timber harvest, 7/2015.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Starting another hardwood job. The John Deere 1270E Processor is unloaded from the lowboy and walked back in on the timber access road to begin its work on the timber harvest. Harris/Ketchum timber harvest, 8/15.

~Ron

Ron Scott

The Valmet 646 Forwarder picks up the hardwood sawlogs, pulpwood, and firewood products behind the processor, August 2015.

~Ron

Ken

Thanks for the pictures Ron.  That hardwood looks quite rugged for that wheeled harvester and dangle head.  Certainly not what they are designed for but with an experienced operator can be quite efficient. 

lumbertick

Ron Scott

The 1270E processor is owned by Housler Sawmill, Inc., Mesick, Mi. and is doing an excellent job on this northern hardwoods harvest. Yes, it helps that the operator has been to school in Finland on its use and has over 20,000 hours in working such machines.
~Ron

Ron Scott

Cut to Length harvest with the John Deere 1270E Processor, 8/2015

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!