iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Well done on the road work. The roads are usually an issue on most logging jobs.
~Ron

Ron Scott

Timberjack 380C Grapple Skidder, Riehl timber harvest, 6/15

~Ron

Ron Scott

Getting the slash down to improve traction on the hillsides, improve area aesthetics, and to get the "fines" from the woody debris into the ground for soil improvement.

~Ron

barbender

Nice little Red pine tract

One forwarder load-
I really dislike working around these-
Too many irons in the fire

gww

I just dropped a big black oak across a set of the thing you don't like.  I had been cutting on my pipe line and when I got to dads power line I didn't give it another thought.  I couldn't have made a better hit if I had really worked at hitting it.  Compleetly square across the lines with plenty of extra tree to make sure.  I cut a log from between the brances to try and recoup my losses.  The electric company sent two trucks and six guys to fix it.  I would have felt a bit better if the tree would have at least been walnut :D.
cheers
gww

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

gww

It only happenned a few days ago but I am sure they will. 
gww

Firewoodjoe

Ouch. Sorry to hear that. I've heard that can be big money😟

gww

If They don't charge me, it was still stupid of me.  If they charge me based on how stupid, I may not be able to afford it.  Time will tell.  I come close one other time in my life with a giant yard walnut and scraped the wires hard even after cabling and wedging the tree.  It was deader then a door nail and headed that way, if I had did nothing it would have took out the wires eventually.  I did something and got lucky.  This one was a strait enough tree that it could of probly been put anywhere and it went where I picked.  I still can't believe I didn't even think of the lines.  There are many times I wonder how I stayed alive this long.  Oh well, another old saying, "I'ld rather be lucky then good".
gww

coxy

your suppose to pull the roots and all then call the power co and tell them that a tree fell over on the wires  :D :D  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Corley5

I had a tree get away from the harvester a couple winters ago and take down a line.  I had the machine in the road cutting trees throwing them back into the woods ;)  It's a dead end and it was the middle of winter.  The temp that day was 15 degrees.  The tree was a triple trunk sugar maple and I couldn't get a good grip on it.  I thought I had it but the bark slipped and it went over the side of the head and hit the power line behind me.  It didn't break the line but it sure stretched it and made it sag.  After being sure the tree wasn't touching the line I grabbed it and ran it into sticks and threw the brush over the bank.   It wasn't twenty minutes and the power company was there.  By that time we had the logs moved and were down the road a bit.  The lineman stretched the line back up and replaced the fuse in the transformer.  It did knock out power to 6 houses.  No words were spoken.  We just all went about our business  ;D 8) 8) 8)  I was sweating it for a bit  ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

barbender

Corley, been there, done that :D I wasn't going to lie if they came and asked if I was the responsible party, but I wasn't calling them, either ;D
Too many irons in the fire

jwilly3879

Years ago I had one the wind caught and it took down the lines. When I called it in they had already had 17 calls about it, it was Soap Opera time. Besides that the lines landed on the truck which had lunch and coffee in it with sparks jumping all around.

Ron Scott

Had one faller get a power line. It cost his employer $300.00 by the power company. When he did it a second time, he was relieved of his job.
~Ron

gww

I will be very surprized if I get by with only a three hundred dollar bill.  My cousen clears power line easments.  He droped one on a line and they fired him.  However they also rehird him and have just promoted him.  Just saying.
Cheers
gww

Ken

We took out the power to a community a few years back on one of the coldest days of the winter.   I immediately called the local power commission and they were appreciative that I contacted them as soon as it happened.   No charge.   Locals were unimpressed though. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Ron Scott

Woodhauler "Night Train" participates in 4th of July parade.

~Ron

1270d

Ron Scott

The Fabtek CTL harvester is working the flat ground near the landing/decking area as the job nears completion., 6/2015.

~Ron

eichenberg93

Morbark wolverine cutting red pine

Ron Scott

Sawlogs being unloaded at one of the local Amish mills.

~Ron

Ron Scott

The active landing/decking area before closure of the timber harvest.

The landing/decking area is cleaned up and graded upon closure of the timber harvest.

~Ron

Straightgrain

Nice looking soil Ron,

And a real professional looking job!
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

gww

Ron
How does the big wheeled equiptment handle traction and incliment weather compared to the tracked equiptment?
Thanks
gww

Ron Scott

The rubber tired equipment handles the terrain well though chains are needed during the deep snow season and when working excessive hill terrain. Having good rubber on the tires helps a lot. ;) The tracked machines may be more versatile overall but with a little less speed and more ground impact.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!