iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumberjack101

Can anyone tell me how to upload a pic on here still new to this

lopet

thecfarm has prolly done it a couple of hundred times. Just wait for him.

Jeff also has posted some picture tutoring videos, but I can't find them anymore.

g_man  Out of the one in the picture you could easy make a " natural barber chair "  :D
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

sawguy21

Go to the Home page and scroll down to Posting photos. It is not difficult, even I can do it. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Straightgrain

Thanks G_man,

I'm learning a lot from your posts; safe and productive timber-harvest practices!

That one tree that formed an "S" looks like a place where a cougar might be found napping etc. ;D
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

Ken

Got an opportunity for a nice spring breakup job less than 5 minutes from home.   Very nice wood although a very long yard to get it roadside.

Here are a couple loads of spruce.   

Oh and did I mention roadside.  I love piling on the side of the pavement this time of year.    That is firewood in the foreground and background with logs and random length pulpwood in the center.

Lots of toys for working in the bush

barbender

Wow Ken! That really is "roadside"! ;) You must pile it from the side opposite the road, they don't let you right on the asphalt, do they?
Too many irons in the fire

Corley5

Most if not all counties here won't let you deck on a county road right of way.  Cool pics  :) 8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

Logs on the landing waiting to be hauled as soon as road restrictions are lifted. The weather still isn't cooperating with cold rain yesterday and snow today. April 2015.

~Ron

1270d

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI7E1GakiSk
made a video processing behind the buncher today.  mix of maple and balsam pulp. 

lopet

Nice. You seem to know what the machine is capable to do and what not, like the way you're cutting up those crotches.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.

beenthere

Thanks, I think I could watch that all day.  Appreciate hearing the sounds of the machine (and not music  ;D )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chevytaHOE5674

I'm jealous of that unobstructed view and the speed of that H7 head.

Ron Scott

Good videos featuring different machines.
~Ron

1270d

Here is another clip from our current job.  This hill side is too steep to run the forwarders up, so the buncher "hands" the wood up closer to the top, from a flat area part way down the hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXAArwRqVps

coxy

doesn't look like much money is going to be made there  ;D  but gota  do what ya gota  do  8) thanks for the pics  like watching your kind of logging out there

1270d

It isn't productive, but was the best way to get that spot.  Took a half hour in a three week job.

lopet

A half hour of lower than average production in three weeks. Is that what you guys are talking about.  :o
I wish i could say that from me.  ;D

Straightgrain

A new "thingamajig"

When skidding a large log with a pulley on the log, I needed/wanted something with a bell/hook so the end of the cable could attach to the slots on winch; the local logging supply store built this mini-New England Style choker.

I can also rig a 2" clevis onto the end link and run it to stationary anchor point.

Works good!
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

g_man

Looks good straightgrain. It is those special little accessories that help make things go easy.

You probably realize it is better to connect the fixed end of the cable to a fixed object like a stump rather than to your tractor when using a pulley or snatch block on the log. If you connect to the tractor you double the force pulling your tractor back just like you double the force on the log. You have two cables pulling your tractor back. If you hitch to a stump the tractor gets 1/2 and the stump gets 1/2 of the pull on the log which is double the cable tension.

Just thought I would mention it in case you didn't already realize this. Sometimes you have no choice but the tractor.

gg

thecfarm

Straightgrain,can you get a picture of the "thingamajig"  ;D  in use?
Anything to make it easier.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Straightgrain

Good point g_man; I seen the dynamic effects on the tractor, and I will permanently put your suggestion into my toolbox of repertoire (had to look up that word ;D).

The pulley really helps when skidding big logs towards a deck and I approach a rise that the tractor can't pull both; I drop the log, motor to the top, drop the winch and skid it up...learning a lot from you guyz.

Will get some pics; have a couple trees to drop today.

Ron Scott

The Fabteck FT-153 Processor is now on the job. Dull/Kellogg timber harvest, 5/15.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Landing and Decking Area Scenes, Dull/Kellogg Timber Harvest, 5/15.

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!