iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

Quite a ways from Brazil, WDH  ;) This is a sale in what is called the "Cutfoot experimental forest), 150 year old Red pine (I learned that on here, I thought the CCC planted it ::)) It is a beautiful forest, I count it a privelege to have had the opportunity to work in it. My picture came out a little squished, I like to use the panoramic function on my phone camera for landing pictures, usually it works good but I had to keep resizing this one to get it to load. 
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

I'll see if this one is a bit less compressed-

coxy

looks like a big pile of birch to   is it logs or pulp

barbender

Pulp on the end you can see in the pic, pallet bolts on the other end.

Straightgrain

Nice example of hard/smart working in these pics!

Almost everything looks the same as what I see out here in Oregon; the log length, the weather (or geography), and species of trees being the three exceptions.

Q: Are those logs in these pic mostly 8'6" long?

Most of us out here need a number of 21' bunk logs in the decks where quality cuts produce shorter logs. The timber companies usually produce 40' ers. 
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

barbender

95% of what we cut is 100", there were some 12',18', and 20' logs on this job. It typically pays more to just cut them 100" and send them for stud bolts, but the stud mill has a 19" max size. It seems like a shame to cut nice logs for stud bolts, to me, but that's the market we have.

lumberjack48

The main reason to cut them into saw bolts is you get payed by the cord, makes it hard for the mill to steal. When its cut into logs you get payed by the BF, you lose about 30%, this all depends on which mill your taking it to.
I cut many thousands of cords that was planted by the CCC boys in the Chippewa National Forest. They did some pretty crocked farming in some places.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

barbender

I agree, LJ48- Potlatch pays by weight, so it's a simple number conversion. Some of the mills that buy logs, their prices aren't that good in the first place, then the scale is stingy, and it takes them a month to pay. So we hack them 100" and be done with it.

Clark

barbender - Are you responsible for the piles you can see from Hwy 46? If so, you did a mighty good job of piling them high!

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

barbender

Nope Clark, the block I was on was not visible from the highway. We had 5 forwarders on that job, I don't know which of our guys worked the block right off of the highway. You were up my way, I take it? ;)

Clark

Went to see the family for Easter, Hwy 46 is not optional for that drive!

It's good to see that pine getting used for something. I think that stuff has needed thinning for many moons.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Ron Scott

Our loggers have a very good firewood market for the "crooked hardwood" sections also so they will be going up in smoke.  ;)
~Ron

BargeMonkey

coxy

BM must be nice to not have any snow  ;D

jwilly3879

Ron Scott

The Timberjack 209D is parked by a hard maple sawlog tree marked for cutting while the cutter is working a hillside for the cable skidder's work. Dull/Kellogg timber harvest, 3/2015

~Ron

BargeMonkey

Quote from: jwilly3879 on April 08, 2015, 07:21:45 AM
Wish my loader looked like that.
If you knew what i paid you would fall out of your chair and shake on the floor. She is a good machine, probably look into a 437C when i get another big skidder, my 440D has all she wants to yank that around.

WDH

That maple looks like it was damaged in a previous harvest. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Maine logger88

79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Ron Scott

yes, much of the hardwoods that we are now cutting were damaged some in a previous tree length logging operation 12-15 + years ago.
~Ron

barbender

Dressing up a road we tore up in the muddy conditions-  

1270d

had some more snow this morning

barbender

g_man

From yesterday.  Using a tractor to remove poorest quality trees from a previously high graded lot.

A little video

https://youtu.be/UivrQ7PfEtw

Yesterday was probably my last day for a while. Trails were still frozen solid but 60 degrees today and the rest of the week.

gg

thecfarm

Yes,that stuff you posted pictures of look kinda rough.  :(   That one in the video looked good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!