iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

huskyxp

Nice video! You guys must have good wood prices to pay for a machine like that thinning wood that size! You'd be hard pressed to pay fuel cuttin that round here let alone payin insurance/operator/forwarding/stumpage/breakdowns etc...

Ron Scott

1270D

Where's your job located in the UP?
~Ron

Ron Scott

The landing and decking area during spring break-up. Road restrictions are on and trucking is restricted. The sawlogs and pulpwood will be decked until the trucking restrictions are lifted. Dull/Kellogg timber harvest, 3/15.

~Ron

Straightgrain

High Lead on a tank hull; perhaps an M48 or M60.

Not mine; it's located on what I believe is Stimson' land, above Tillamook Oregon.

It has been parked in the same spot for at least 2 years.
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

Maine logger88

That's cool I like to see yarders!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

coxy

Ron    how much weight do you think gets lost in a pile of pulp like that from sitting maybe 2 weeks     nice looking logs     looks to be mostly hard maple

thecfarm

I got caught once with a load in the spring. The know it all guy up the road was having a fit that I was going to loose money on weight. ::)  Guess he thought it would pay to put it in the back of a pick up and haul it 2 miles to a unposted road.  ::)  I had all ready cut 2 loads,almost made it with the last load. Some of us have to work at another job to support the ones that can stand around all day and tell others how it needs to be done.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

Coxy

Yes, that is mostly all hard maple sitting on the landing. There would not be to much weight loss/cord for a 2 week sit on the landing at present weather conditions. It would depend upon the relative humidity around the site, but if weather is dry during the period it might average about 3.8#/cord/day weight loss on the hard maple pulpwood or a 53.5# loss/cord for a 2 week period.
~Ron

1270d

Quote from: Ron Scott on March 30, 2015, 07:25:38 PM
1270D

Where's your job located in the UP?

Central UP in Marquette county

Ron Scott

Spring break up is a good time for a needed oil change on the forwarder. Dull/Kellogg timber harvest, 3/15

~Ron

Ron Scott

Tree lengths are CTL along the forwarder's route to be forwarded to the landing when the oil change is done.

~Ron

g_man

Ron your roads seem to be staying in great shape.

Ron Scott

They're still frozen pretty well and the soil is a major factor.
~Ron

barbender

A "plugged" landing- I was running out of room with no trucking for a few days. It's hard to tell in the picture, as a lot of the wood is "double ranked", but there is between 400 and 500 cords piled up here.

Too many irons in the fire

chep

Barbender. Awesome picture! How tall are those piles?

BargeMonkey

Thats a good looking picture.  :D

barbender

Chep, some of the piles are getting up around 20'. I typically try not to pile that high, as it can be dangerous for the truckers. Sometimes we run out of landing room though, and the only way to go is up.

Ron Scott

Your truckers will appreciate the work waiting for them. :(
~Ron

JohnM

Quote from: chep on April 02, 2015, 11:48:44 PM
Barbender. Awesome picture! How tall are those piles?
x2 Very cool pic, BB.
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Maine logger88

Ron Scott

The 209D Timberjack pulls tree lengths off the hillside for CTL products. Dull/Kellogg timber harvest, 2/15.

~Ron

thecfarm

My Father would say,That tree on the left is so crooked it would not make straight smoke.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Maine logger88

Quote from: thecfarm on April 03, 2015, 08:11:32 PM
My Father would say,That tree on the left is so crooked it would not make straight smoke.  :)
Haha my grandfather always says that lol!

barbender

Thanks for the compliments, guys ;)  Ron, I really like that cable skidder/forwarder system, that has to be about the lowest impact way of doing things, and for getting the best value out of sawtimber.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!