iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Ken,

They wear both chaps and safety pants here depending upon one's preference. Chaps are usually used more during the winter weather for comfort and fit with the heavier cloths worn underneath for warmth.

Coxy,

Yes, the area is a series of steep rolling slopes. Access to each slope area is slow and a a specific challenge.The dead beech is being left as a "wildlife tree", ;)
~Ron

Ken

These two old timberjacks have a combined hour meter reading of 68000+ hours and are working daily.  Tough machines

Lots of toys for working in the bush

lopet

I don't see anybody with a big grin in his face. Those machines have paid for them self more than once.  smiley_thumbsup
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

BargeMonkey

Thats a good looking picture.  :D   how does the 4bt run in your 230 ? My 230 has a 353 and semi gutless and ive pondered either swapping or just wait till i upgrade. Will that 1010 climb a decent hill loaded ?

BargeMonkey

I like to make sure each one gets a hug before it gets the 395 / 3120 treatment. You cut and skid 12 of these a day alone and you know it.  :D

sawguy21

:o For a moment I thought that tree fell on him.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Maine logger88

Nice tree! I cut some pine today nothing huge but added up decent

79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Dave Shepard

That's the stuff I like for timbers. Big enough to get the timber, small enough to not produce a lot of side lumber. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Maine logger88

Yeah it's actually my favorite size stuff to cut 3 or 4 trees to the thousand easy to cut and limb and grades well!

barbender

Let's see if I can figure out how to link to a video-
Pine on the landing: http://youtu.be/NZkDQ9ixfIQ

I hope you all enjoy the Pow-wow music as much as me :D I have two radio stations on this job, classical MPR and KOJB "the Eagle", I was leaning towards my native heritage ;D
Too many irons in the fire

Clark

Barbender - Is this some of the pine along Hwy 46 they have marked?

88.5 was always my go to station when someone wanted to listen to country, which I do not listen to. Compromise with classical!

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

barbender

Clark,
We are about 1/4 mile off of 46, out of sight from the road. There are multiple cutting blocks though, and I haven't looked them all over.

so il logger

Not so sure about the tune's.. :D :D But you are a very talented operator barbender ;) DanG nice work  8)

barbender

4x4American

great operating, like an extension of your body.  I can see what you mean about the music!  I think it was kinda cool, and if I was running something all day I'd listen to it too.
Boy, back in my day..

WDH

Sounded a bit like rain dance music  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ken

Thanks barbender.  I would sure love to get a chance to work in timber like that
Lots of toys for working in the bush

barbender

Quote from: WDH on March 21, 2015, 09:12:59 PM
Sounded a bit like rain dance music  ;D. 

I didn't think of that, WDH! :D Ken, this stuff is a treat, especially for the processors. This pine forest is part of what is known as the "Avenue of the Pines" on Hwy 46, it is all pine that was planted by the CCC in the 30's. Here's another video from out in the woods, my wife said she would have done a better job filming if she would've known I was posting the video here :)  I have been driving 60-90 minutes one way to work for the last 9 months, so it is really nice to be close to home, I can have the family stop out and visit ;)

3-20: http://youtu.be/NF6-VddYaT0

so il logger

There ya go barbender the last video would be more my choice of tune's.  :D But after watching the other one again I can see where the tribal music would catch on.... and for sure would get a rythym going. Again great operating, really a joy to watch, thank's.

barbender

.    The thing is, so il logger, it's all the same radio station. It actually suits me pretty good, they play everything from classic country to alternative, 80's British invasion synth pop to reggae- plus the pow-wow music (not to mention the KOJB Ojibwe Phrase of the Day) :D I like listening to Christian radio stations, and even classic rock, but when you sit there for 10-12 hours a day you get pretty sick of hearing the same songs over and over. So when I get in the area, I tune in to "the Eagle" because you never know what will come out of the speakers :D

Maine logger88

Looks good barbender nice stuff! Very smooth!

g_man

Nice video barbender. I love seeing you guys at work. Thanks for posting.  A couple of those grapple fulls would be a load for me  :D

gg

Stephen Alford

Yes Barbender, very nice, thank you for posting. Smoooooth comes to mind for sure. That appears to be a very stable porter but man that double acting extenda boom now that is "sweet".
logon

Gary_C

Nice video Barbender and those pictures look all too familiar except I've got a Valmet.

But I have to ask, what no sorts for bolts?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

barbender

Gary, it's all bolts ;) I've landed about 200 cords, and I have a pile of pulp that's about 5 cords. It's pretty much bolts to the top of the tree. We are sorting a few 10' and 12' logs, I've set out about 4 truck loads. We're only sorting logs out of stuff greater than 15" diameter.
     Stephen, this is a stable forwarder. I ran it for a month this winter with no frame lock, I wouldn't really notice unless I reached way out to the side with with no wood in the bunks. The sliding crane is nice- to be honest, the way these machines are configured you need the extensions. You can barely reach the ground without the extension because of theh height of the bunks.
     g man, yeah, 2 grapples would about do it ;D I love running forwarder, but sometimes I miss getting to fire up the old cable skidder and actually touch a tree with my hands :D

Thank You Sponsors!