iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

The deeper the snow gets, the harder it is on our CTL jobs, especially on the steeper terrain, as it just gets harder to get around in the snow. One job had to shut down for now mainly because of the snow conditions and steepness of the slopes remaining to log. They will finish up after the snow leaves.

The conditions on another area we're logging are still pretty good since the snow isn't too deep yet and the slopes aren't as long and steep and they have better equipment for handling the conditions.
~Ron

thecfarm

I just saw the guy that cut my land,CTL,he still going strong. Yes,it's harder,but the job has to be done.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

Timberjack 209A Cable Skidder works tree lengths from the hills. Dull/Kellogg Timber Harvest 2015.

The Valmet 546 Double Bunk Forwarder carries the CTL pieces to the landing for product sorting. The landing is near a well traveled county road so it it cabled off to prevent passerby's from entering into the sale area and removing pieces from the wood deck for firewood, especially on weekends when the loggers usually aren't there.

~Ron

coxy

never new they made a 290 tj whats the difference in the 290 to the 240

Ron Scott

Not sure other than that's what the operator said it was. It's an older one that has been recently rebuilt. I'll have to check it out closer the next time I'm there.
~Ron

Ron Scott

The 546 Valmet cleans the skid route from the overnight snow during its first morning run. Dull/Kellogg timber harvest 2015.

A mixed load of hardwoods is forwarded to the landing.

~Ron

Maine logger88

Fell off the oak while I was limbing it and went right too my waist 20" on the saw the bartip is just touching the ground

Had a bunch of decent sticks like this

79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Ron Scott

The Timberjack Cable Skidder pulls tree lengths to flat ground for hand cutter to cut hardwood products to length (CTL); Dull/Kellogg timber harvest 2015

Hardwood sawlogs cut to length waiting to be forwarded to the landing/decking area.

~Ron

coxy

Ron Scott

Timberjack 230A Forwarder works a northern hardwoods timber sale. This job has now shut down due to the deep snow with about 60 trees yet to reach and remove from the steep slope areas. Riehl Timber Harvest, November, 2014.

~Ron

chevytaHOE5674

You would think that with temps around -20° F at night and daytime highs only in the teens and 4-5 feet of snow on the ground that you wouldn't have to worry about mud. Two hours later with some pulling from the processor and some digging the forwarder was back on dry ground.

thecfarm

I have a bog that would treat you the same way.  ::)  It never freezes.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

didn't some one say in another post that forwarders was the only way to go cause they didn't leave ruts  :D :D

so il logger

Quote from: coxy on February 14, 2015, 06:39:37 PM
didn't some one say in another post that forwarders was the only way to go cause they didn't leave ruts  :D :D

Yes I think iv'e seen that somewhere as well  ;D ::)

1270d

creating frog habitat!

If you need bog frozen it needs to be ripped up pretty good and left rutted and lumpy, then mixed and ripped up again.

coxy

Quote from: 1270d on February 14, 2015, 06:58:35 PM
creating frog habitat!

If you need bog frozen it needs to be ripped up pretty good and left rutted and lumpy, then mixed and ripped up again.
:D :D :D 8) 8)

thecfarm

1270d,well I guess they got the ripped up pretty good and left rutted and lumpy part done once. Wonder it they will go back and do it again?   :D

barbender

Ron, I wish we had more high quality hardwood stands like in your pictures, because I would really like to have an operation like that- hand falling, cable skidder, and small forwarder. I'm starting to get a bit "portly" sitting in a "porter" all day on northern MN pulpwood harvests :)

Chevy, I've not fallen through with the forwarder yet where I couldn't get myself out. The frame lock overide switch is your friend in those situations. It is pretty tough to get out without assistance once you lose the front end of the machine though.
Too many irons in the fire

chevytaHOE5674

Oddly enough I had been driving over that spot with the processor for almost a week and it seemed hard as rock (like I said nights were well below zero). Ground just decided that it didn't want to hold up the empty forwarder. haha

Wouldn't have been too bad except the blade was hung up on a stump that was up on a little mound.

1270d

Its always impresses me where you could skid with a Caribou.  I broke through the mat on a swamp strip with our 346 Fabtek totally empty. The other operator (in a fully loaded Caribou) went around me, off the mat, and pulled me out.  Fabtek is a boat anchor in wet/soft ground though.

Ron Scott

Some recognition to the loggers during these cold work days.

http://gowood.blogspot.com/2015/02/loggers-work-while-rest-of-us-stay.html

Chuck Ray's Blog
~Ron

lopet

Wow, quite a bit of scrap iron in this video.  But hats off to those guys, who maneuver this big loads.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

g_man

Ron Scott

Idaho Woodhauler near Idaho Falls on its way to the mill yesterday.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Coxy,
This is a 209D Timberjack Cable Skidder, not a 290 as the operator was calling it. I checked the tag on it. Its an early vintage machine and still going strong.

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!