Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed_K

Finally got the camera to work.
Getting warmed up for the morning.

Would these make sawlogs?

One of the hemlock pile.

One of the cordwood pile.

It's slow going but I'm having fun and making a little $.
Ed K

Maine logger88

Looks good thanks for sharing the pics! What brand of skidder is that?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

lopet

Nice piles Ed.  Did you switch skidders ?  Thought you had a old Tj.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

4x4American

Quote from: Ron Scott on March 30, 2002, 04:59:17 PM
Kevin,

Excellent picture. It's hard to find a chain saw on some of the jobs here anymore. I sure endorse them for still doing some of the better quality work.

How about expaining some of your "colorful" clothing and its purpose, i.e. the Kevlar boots etc. 

You ain't kiddin, lots of tennis shoe logging going on.  My neighbor is an independant log trucker, he's got a Hood 7000 loader and a pup trailer, and he told me he only trucks for the little guys with just a skidder and a chainsaw.
Boy, back in my day..

Ed_K

1972 Taylor model 112 gearamatic 19 winch 18.4-34 tires, I've had it since 2000.
Ed K

lopet

Sorry, must have something mixed up. ;D
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.

Maine logger88

Some hemlock we cut the last 3 days

JohnM

Quote from: Maine logger88 on January 26, 2015, 10:40:42 PM
Some hemlock we cut the last 3 days

You work some nice lots over there, ML.  I drive by a yard on 131 in Swanville that is a pretty good size operation from what I can see, a lot of wood coming out of it at least.  I'd take pics of it but feel weird asking to photo their job so I can put it on the web. :D
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Maine logger88

Yeah I have been lucky for the most part! If it's the same outfit I'm thinking of then that guy is a nice guy his name is Bernard.

JohnM

Quote from: Maine logger88 on January 27, 2015, 12:14:02 AM
If it's the same outfit I'm thinking of then that guy is a nice guy his name is Bernard.
We're (the crew I'm on) building a house  just down the road from the yard, can hear his fellerbuncher all day. ;D  He's got a big grapple skidder and a delimber in in the yard.  I've seen a number of nice loads drive by over the last few weeks, including several really nice loads of saw logs that I wish were being dropped off beside my Lucas.  >:( ;) :D  Assume those were headed to Robbins.
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Ken

Cold day with lots of fresh snow in central NB.  Three large storms in the past couple of weeks and another on its way.  Started the harvester on a new block yesterday.  The block was precommercially thinned around 25 years ago.  Small diameter wood but lots of it.

Lots of toys for working in the bush

treeslayer2003

Dave Shepard

I don't run into much of it around here. I do like sawing it on the mill.  :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

clww

Those are some mighty nice poplars, treeslayer! Diameter average? ???
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

treeslayer2003

Quote from: clww on February 04, 2015, 09:03:13 PM
Those are some mighty nice poplars, treeslayer! Diameter average? ???
never messured, 36" bar wouldn't go thru any of them. ima have trouble getting the big ones out lol

coxy

nice wood   poplars are they heavy or light

Dave Shepard

Does tulip poplar stay sound when it gets big? I've only sawn eight trees off of one of the properties we had logged where I used to work, so I don't have a lot of experience with it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

treeslayer2003

coxy, they can be either but as a rule, large ones are heavy like any kind of tree. also depends on the ground and water.......dry sites tend to yield lighter stems.

Dave, they can have holes, i have cut them 7' wide but just a shell. biggest sound one i have cut was about 6' wide and it had a little hole bout the size of a baseball. that don't hurt it though. as above, ground and water have alot to do with it.

Southside

You're not kidding water has a lot to do with it.  I cut into one last year with my Fabtek - must have been 15 gallons or more of water that came gushing out of the cut and began spraying all over the head - I thought I blew a main feed hose on the head so I killed the hydraulic feed lever and when that did not stem the flow to speak I killed the engine thinking I was about to pump my hydraulic tank dry.  The water was still running and I was scratching my head trying to figure out what to do and if the tree was going to topple over.  Took a minute of looking a the head to figure out what was actually happening.  When I got it down the center had a big hole but nothing above so it was storing water in there.  Quite the lesson.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

treeslayer2003

ha ha ha, try that hand falling lol. get a stinky bath. sweet gum and some types of red oak are the worst.

lopet

........ or soft maple. Done that, been there and you look like you are sprayed on with hydraulic fluid. :D :D
The tree maybe thought, if you cut me down , i am gonna give it to you !  :D

Ron Scott

The John Deere 550D Crawler is left on the job to open and grade the access roads and plow snow as needed. Dull/Kellogg Timber Harvest 2015

The Timberjack 209A Cable Skidder pulls tree lengths off the steep hillsides being worked.

Tree lengths are then cut to length for forwarding to the landing.

The Valmet 546 Forwarder carries the cut lengths to the landing.

~Ron

Maine logger88

Looks like a slick operation! I've still been fighting the snow...

Ken

Always enjoy your pictures Ron Scott.  Very nice looking woods.  Maine logger88 those woods also look very nice.  I bet the jack is doing more winching of trees than dragging them through all that snow. 

Here is my view for the next few weeks.  Small diameter wood, mostly balsam fir in old thinnings.  The tree in the head shows two trees that merged into one at about 10 feet.  Don't see that too often.   

Lots of toys for working in the bush

Maine logger88

Yeah it's definatly doing a lot of winching which isn't super productive. Not bad softwood must be pretty decent tons per acre? How does deep snow affect CTL bad good or not make a difference?

Thank You Sponsors!