iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

cool pics. Where are you at ? I used to pilot and navigate, with a much smaller ticket. Left it all behind in 1999. Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

BargeMonkey

Crushed stone and aggregate, a little sand sometimes. Im the chief engineer on the big pushboat they have, running from Poughkeepsie to NYC basically every day. About 4.5 mil tons this year, or 3\4 of the stone NYC uses. Figured i would throw a few pictures up, something different. my equipment sits on the job covered in snow, my relief quit and i told them i would stay. The new wife isnt used to this, she has gotten used to 1-2 wks at a time, she isnt liking this. We are putting in a gas station\ country store at home, the price of stuff is thru the roof so im just going to sit here and stack cash for as long as i can. it will take more than 6-8 wks to break me, did 178 straight once.  :D

barbender

178 :o You're an animal! You have to make sure it doesn't break her though  ;)
Too many irons in the fire

Jamie_C

My regular machine was broke down today so i was running the spare processor, a Tigercat 860 with a Hornet Head 

lopet

Sometimes you gotta go where the money is.  Keep the pictures coming BM.  Got one of the push boat ?
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

redneck logger

If you dont mind me asking jamie who do you work for ive heard those hornet heads are almost bullet proof
got to love working in the woods

Jamie_C

I work for E & R Langille, there are 3 Hornets on our crew, 2 run daily and 1 is a spare  ... all on 860/870 carriers.

They are a near bulletproof head, can put a lot of wood through them.

redneck logger

haha i kind of figured jamie thats why i asked
got to love working in the woods

tule peak timber

Personally , I'm interested in the machinery space...Pics   ?  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

submarinesailor

Quote from: BargeMonkey on December 16, 2014, 09:28:07 AM
The joke show known as the Tappan Zee Bridge. Dropping all the material off there now too.

I read somewhere that Ne York State brought in one of the worlds largest floating cranes to make the replacement go faster.

Bruce

BTW - Spend 210 days submerged one year.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: redneck logger on December 16, 2014, 06:57:53 PM
haha i kind of figured jamie thats why i asked
They are only a "short wood head" right ? looks like a bundle of hose.  :D

BargeMonkey

Quote from: submarinesailor on December 16, 2014, 09:36:13 PM
Quote from: BargeMonkey on December 16, 2014, 09:28:07 AM
The joke show known as the Tappan Zee Bridge. Dropping all the material off there now too.

I read somewhere that Ne York State brought in one of the worlds largest floating cranes to make the replacement go faster.

Bruce

BTW - Spend 210 days submerged one year.
Ive worked with 2 ex-submariners, something about being under for 200+ days days something to your brain.  :D   my newest deckhand is fresh off a flight deck, good kid.

There is the "left coast lifter". Was built for a bridge job out there, now sitting here. I wouldnt have wanted to be on the boat towing it over.  :D

Thats the "quantum of the seas" maiden entrance into NYC a couple weeks ago. Something nice to look at @0630 on crew change morning. 

The mate took that picture a few yrs ago, one of the nicer ones. Ive got some others in my gallery. Things are changing out here, and not for the good.

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Southside logger on December 16, 2014, 11:25:19 PM
In what way Barge Monkey?
Its a double edged sword,
The USCG and the maritime schools are getting closer to finally restricting this industry to the "grad children". The workboats historically where "hawsepipe" guys, father then son, family friends, it was a close industry. Due to the dead U.S flagged ship industry it isnt that way anymore. Not saying its completely for the bad but its changed things. My family was on the tugs out of NYC in 1903 when we came over from Sweden / Norway.
The companys are doing more with less. less people, more hours, more paperwork. Im looking at another 4+ wks of classes in the next 18 months just to keep up with the requirements. Very few guys stay anywhere any amount of time, 1\2 of the tug companies in NY are gone from when i started 13yrs ago. The guys in the gulf are sweating it right now, they chased the high paying OSV jobs, have been makeing crazy money, now stuff is slowing down and boats are being stacked. Like anything it goes in a cycle, i saw the good times in 05-07, then the bottom fell out in 08. Basically it comes down to you looking out for YOU, alot of these guys will be handing out baskets at walmart in a few yrs because they allowed themselves to become complacent.

Piston

Enjoyed your forestry pics BargeMonkey, and I'm enjoying the tug pics as well.  It's definitely not easy on the wife when she's used to 1-2 weeks, but it makes seeing you that much better when you finally do get home. 

-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

luvmexfood

BargeMonkey. After you load or pick-up loaded barges how long does it take to push them down to NYC? Do you have to bunk on the tug and how's the food?

There was a link on here awhile back about life in the timber camps in the early 1900's. Thought it funny that a worker would quit one camp and go to another sometimes for less money if they had a better cook.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

BargeMonkey

We turn a trip in 24-26hrs. Thats making up a light tow of 7-9-15 empty barges, head up the river, grab a loaded tow and back down to the city. It 60 up, 60 back. We work the deckhands like savages, i help out what i can. We dont eat to bad, no actual designated cook on this boat.
Ive seen guys quit to get on a newer boat and to get the holidays off. Its still a weird, unique industry, there are some laws on the books that will make you scratch your head.
If i am overseas, stuck, no money, cant get home, i walk down to the first US flagged vessel i see, coming back, and by law they have to take me onboard, in the capacity of my ticket or its some astronomical fine.   
Ive worked with the guy who owns this website, does a great job.  Www.tugboatinformation.com
Somehow the wife got her wish and im going home monday for 1 week,  :D 

Ford_man

Sounds like the wife has more authority than you think. lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Dave Shepard

I heard on the radio this morning that a couple of floating concrete silos filled with aggregate at the Tappan Zee bridge collapsed yesterday. Was that some of your material?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

BargeMonkey

They are mixing concrete on a large portable batch plant on the west side of the bridge, yeah i would imagine its stuff we have brought down.

Dom

Quote from: Jamie_C on December 16, 2014, 05:57:20 PM
My regular machine was broke down today so i was running the spare processor, a Tigercat 860 with a Hornet Head 

Those heads are basic, but tough. I think they went under the name Target as well!?

Sounds like a good combo for the carrier/head. Hard to believe of someone having a spare harvester, but definitely a good idea if you can swing it.

g_man

Hey BM your pics reminded me of the times I had a ride on a push boat. Single heated barge of hot asphalt from Baton Rouge down the mighty Mississippi and across the gulf to Tampa. They pushed until they got to the gulf then they decoupled the barge and towed it with about 100 yds rope about 4" in diameter if I remember right. One thing I definitely remember was that the boat could not stop going down stream w/o beaching up on the bank which we had to do one time because the product lab test showed bad. We were a couple hrs down river. It was early 70's. It was an ESSO barge with two 750 hp Cats. A couple had blown up. Company I worked for was hired by ESSO to figure out why since Cat said it was ESSO's fault.  We put pressure and temperature sensors all over those engines with recorders and alarms. I had about a half dozen trips across. Engines ran perfect. 

BargeMonkey

Youve been to "redstick"  :D  Baton Rouge in cajun. Thats mile marker 242-246 i believe, end of the road for a larger vessel, made a trip from redstick once, to, San juan, Savanah, Norfolk, Albany, Portland, then back to Baton Rouge. Wasnt a fun adventure. Had a good fire @ 0200 about 30 miles off the D.R with no one coming to save us getting our brains beaten in pushing 100kbbl of blue super high test aviation gasoline. Fun times. I worked black oil 1 season on the G.L's for a company out of MI, dont miss that. Most people dont realize you can get your butt kicked sailing out of Cleveland. They have a strip club on the Cayahoga in Cleveland with a lighthouse on it, like a magnet for us sailor types.  :D

barbender

Another load of black spruce, ready to head for the mill. This truck is light, about 29K empty, and can legally run 88K. That figures out to about 15 cords, IF I can fit it all on ::)

Too many irons in the fire

1270d

Do you load the trailers while they wait, or are they spotted for you to load?

Thank You Sponsors!