iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

I know what you guys are saying, I think I have been on this job for at least two months. I think we've cut over 3000 cords already, and maybe another 1000 to go.
     Here's a landing shot the other morning, my machine is warming up. The other operator is more on the ball and is piling his first load already.

This is how much more capacity the Buffalo King forwarder has over the standard Buffalo. We each loaded 2 bunks on a crib trailer, and I had this much left.

Too many irons in the fire

Autocar

Nice looking timber everyone, Keen probably the nicest hard maple I have ever seen thanks for scharing all the pictures.
Bill

Maine logger88

Quote from: BargeMonkey on November 30, 2014, 10:12:43 AM
Dont you hate cutting wood at one place for too long ? The closer you get to being done the better the feeling.  :D
Yup I do it's nice to get the big lots but I have been here since mid august and I'm ready to get on to the next one! Looks good barbender I like seeing big piles of wood! Is there one or two prossesors cutting ahead of you?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

barbender

Just one, with two operators that are alternating long days, they must be in the machine 12 hours each day.

Maine logger88

So it doesn't stop for long then! With two operators how much are they cutting per day?

barbender

I'm having a hard time explaining this, operator A comes in Monday and works a 12 hour day. On Tuesday operator B comes in and works a 12 hour day. So the machi e is working 12 hours a day, not 24. At that, I have seen them get into a poor patch and cut 60 cords a day, and other days they are getting well over 100 cords. I am moving 70-80 cords per day, and managed to fall over 1000 cords behind them so they are putting out the wood. Yes that is right, 1000 cords- the second forwarder has been with me for 8 days, together we are landing about 150 cords a day. We're still 3 days cutting behind :o

Maine logger88

O gotcha. That's some good production numbers!

eichenberg93

Nothing better than a running feller for a birthday present 8)

Morbark Wolverine cutting Some Popple

lopet

Well then happy b day  eichenberg 93.  You must have your brake problem solved, it looks like she's chopping.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

eichenberg93

1942 Fwd Truck 6x6 with Prentice Loader and bar saw Slasher

lopet

Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.

sawguy21

That is really something, I am impressed. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

coxy

lets see if all the new computer junk  is still around in 74years  :D

eichenberg93

Quote from: coxy on December 10, 2014, 07:20:44 AM
lets see if all the new computer junk  is still around in 74years  :D

exactly  ;)

Dave Shepard

The computers will have taken over in 74 years and we will be their slaves. Oh, wait, we already are their slaves. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Southside

I see the date on those photos is September 12.  The white fungus on those logs would really concern me that time of year. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

lopet

eichenberg93

I was wondering if anyone would see that. If that's the case its been one cold September ;D

barbender

This is a crib trailer I'm loading out, that's one forwarder load of black spruce on the trailer. Spruce is a light wood, I don't remember how much it weighs offhand but not much over 4000 pounds per cord. I can barely fit a legal load (88,000 lbs.) on this trailer, the uprights are a bit short.

Our conventional crew cut everything on this sale except for 700 cords of black spruce. I'm picking up black spruce with the forwarder while the slasher works in the background.

barbender

A few more from this black spruce sale-

Some nice black spruce, this stuff is much larger than average. Some of these sticks are probably 14-16" dbh

Black spruce pile, marked with the contract processor operator's initials so he gets paid for it

My crane folded up for greasing

lopet

Are you still working on this big job ? That's some nice spruce.
Like your stake extensions.
I am always dreaming of one of those picker uppers. Maybe some day, but it won't be such a fancy one. ;D 

barbender

This is a new job I've been on for a week. 750 cords or so of cut to length wood. I'd guess there was 1500-2000 that the conventional crew cut. From the pics I've seen of your operation, lopet, a "picker upper" would work great for you ;)

BargeMonkey

Well its been 2 wks, and im guessing if im lucky it will only be another 4-6wks. The wife isnt too happy but she likes the paychecks. No woodlot in my future. Figured i would throw a few pictures on. 

Thats what 35,000 gross tons looks like. 160' wide. 790' feet long. Not huge for down south but large for up here with only a 3000hp boat. 

The joke show known as the Tappan Zee Bridge. Dropping all the material off there now too.

thecfarm

Nice pictures of something that I will never see. I've been across the Tappan Zee Bridge a few times.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Skidder Kev

Thank You Sponsors!