iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keen

Yep lopet, its a hood loader on the porter. Its been a good machine got a good deal on it and put a little time  in it getting it running good.

Coxy your  right on the maple price. Small hearted veneer on large logs like that can bring 3-8 dollars a foot. It amazes me what trees like that can sell for. The pic with the saw is aspen, the saw has a 24" bar on it. That's a good sized healthy aspen for our area.

Sounds like some whoppers BargeMonkey, its always good to see some bigguns still standing.

Eichenber93 the clear ground makes up for all the time spent cutting around thorn apple and otamolive trees lol. The forwarder will hold two cord of 8 footers.

sawguy21

You got enough rubber under that load? ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

CuddleBugFirewood

How do I get this image to rotate 90 degrees.... I tried the crop and rotate, and save... I uploaded from a phone, but am posting now from a computer...  When I view it in my album it brings up the large picture correctly when I click on crop and rotate. 

CuddleBugFirewood

Ha, not sure why it looks right now, so well try again... Yoder Job 2014.  I about 90 acres timber, I am about 1/2 done.  Will take me a while.

Swing boom in action.. had to cut the log in two, to get by a few trees without skinning them up. 

High stump along skid road on right is due to old barb wire fence.  Seems like a fair number of trees on this job have had fence in them, and if they are mertchantable I will go ahead and cut because they will never be good veneer trees with the metal stain in them.

damage and tops... the trees you see bent over or scarred are elm trees, and are generally cut in a tsi situation....  The have come in under the shade of the oaks as they seem to be more tolerant of shade.  What is not shown is a small red oak about 30 foot high to the left of the picture that did not get squished.  The tops make good brush piles for wildlife, and the amish landowner and neighbors will cut many of them up for firewood.

All the green leaves = The enemy of the woods.... Amur Honeysuckle.... aka bush honeysuckle.  This will eventually take over much of our eastern woodlots...This spot is not too bad..yet.  others in his wood lot I had to make a path with the skidder or duck under all of it to get to the trees to harvest.  The landowner I am cutting on has no plans to control this invaisve, and this farm is next to my dads, which we have painstakingly worked to rid the woods of this invaisve.  We are trying to convince him to at least do some controled burns or let the kids loose with some loppers.

small red oak I left... you can tell by the top it was suppressed.  My experience suggest these types of "leave" trees will either die or be surpassed by another tree in about 10 to 20 years...What do the foresters think... I thought about cutting it and letting it stump sprout. 

A few leave trees. One on the right most would cut around 22 inches or so, but i had a small group opening just outside pict and wanted to leave for seed.  The red oak right here seemed to be doing well and I suspect those two trees will be about 25 to 30 inches in about 20 - 30 years when this farmers son has a harvest done.  A clump of post oak in the background. 

Need to get some pics of the log piles next....

BargeMonkey

The one woodlot you dont wanna cut when the weather turns bad. Steep. Rocky. 1 mile skid. Want to get in and get out. 

Thats looking N/E, skid road goes up another 400 ft at a wicked graded then your staring DOWN on Windham Mt. There is some ok timber, alot of it is ice damaged and wind twisted.

Maine logger88

Some decent looking stuff! That 450 should work good on a long skid like that
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Ron Scott

Started this CTL northern hardwoods job just before the heavy snows came in. Working in some step hills, so don't know if our logger can get the job done this winter with the excessive early heavy snow. Also since the transmission on his Timberjack forwarder went out yesterday and they are working on it in the woods today under less than favorable weather conditions. The "low points" of being a logger. ;)

~Ron

BargeMonkey

Hitch after hitch. Roads are so narrow if you slip 1 wheel off your done. ive been getting 9-10 good ones to a drag, she handles it fine just a pain turning corners.   

Theres a pile of wood sitting there now, finishing slashing in the morning. When i say MONTHS cutting HM, BC, and RO on this lot, theres alot there there.  :D :D :D

Maine logger88

Now those are some nice sized hitches! Looks like the jack pulls good!

Following the truck out tonight after work

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Ken

Quote from: Ron Scott on November 20, 2014, 03:13:14 PM
Also since the transmission on his Timberjack forwarder went out yesterday and they are working on it in the woods today under less than favorable weather conditions. The "low points" of being a logger. ;)

Have done my fair share of in woods mechanic work.  Not much fun.  We just got done doing 2 weeks of repair and maintenance to my old Timberjack forwarder.  Clutch, brakes, hydraulic pump, hoses, welding, etc, etc.  We did however have a shop to work in. 

Nice hitch BargeMonkey.  Doesn't take many of those trips to load a truck.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

BargeMonkey

Thanks, i think its time for small fenders. Had 6 tonight coming out, i figure there was 1500mbft and 2-3 cords. Its all downhill, about 1.5 miles to the back of the lot. 

Soft maple right on the skidroad. It twists like that for about 40', we have a buyer who looks for those for furniture.

Keep pounding them out. 

I took about 20 skidder pictures today but they wont load for some reason. Way up on top of the mountain. 

Not bad for 2 days, still had about 30 to slash but it got too dark to see the logs clearly. Parked everything and hit it hard when i get home again.

lopet

Nice pics BM.  I ve never seen a twister like that. What do think is causing something like that ?
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

BargeMonkey

Uhm, WIND.  :D  this is way up on the mountain, just a horrible place to be 364 days out of the year, alot of the stuff im cutting the tops are all broken from some bad ice storms. Ive had a few like this, they are around if you look. Special wood like that can bring 30-50 a running ft depending. My parents sawed some for the new house just like that, looks awesome. They will keep a 1"-1.5" slab with that twist and use it on "rustic" furniture. We cant keep pine slabs, wood from the "Catskill" imported to the "Adirondack's" for the people with more money than brains.  :D

Kodiakmac

Quote from: lopet on November 21, 2014, 10:43:38 PM
Nice pics BM.  I ve never seen a twister like that. What do think is causing something like that ?

Got to be global warming.  :D
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

Mainer_for_life

I don't know to much about other places but here in Maine they either cut it tree length Nd take it out on trailers that are 4 feet wider on either side than the truck or they do cut to length logging with processors and forwarders.

BargeMonkey

Finally got her moved this morning, told the driver to let me know how it went, this is what i got.  :D     ive been having a horrible time getting pictures to load on the FF lately, maybe 1/5 of them take. No rhyme or reason to it. ??? 

barbender

I was having a bugger of a time with loading pictures off of my Samsung S5, it turns out they were too big. I resize them first, and they always load now.
Too many irons in the fire

dustintheblood

1270d it's good to see that you're using the Ponsee Scorpion.  I've followed their product development, but haven't talked to anyone who's worked it yet.  How's the operator liking it?
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

1270d

Maine logger88

Pulled some hemlock in the snow today. About the perfect amount to make the roads nice but not be hard walking. Too bad it's gonna warm up tomorrow and Monday.

chester_tree _farmah

The old Clark is getting it done ML88...
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Maine logger88

Yeah it's been doing the job got one more load to pull then this job is finished then I can take a couple days and fix my Jack then save up and then on to the Deere gotta have them up and going soon got a couple decent lots to cut this winter

BargeMonkey

Dont you hate cutting wood at one place for too long ? The closer you get to being done the better the feeling.  :D 

Corley5

Quote from: BargeMonkey on November 30, 2014, 10:12:43 AM
Dont you hate cutting wood at one place for too long ? The closer you get to being done the better the feeling.  :D

Yup  ;D 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!