iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

As always, It's great to see some other region timber harvest methods & equipment.
~Ron

Ron Scott

A Load of Veneer Logs Heads North on the Freeway.
H-131 north; 8/04.

~Ron

Ron Scott

FabTech FT-133 Processor. Working in red pine. Deschermeir timber harvest; 8/04.

~Ron

Ron Scott

FabTec FT-133 Processor. Moves through the landing and decking area on to the next timber stand for processing. Deschermeir timber harvest; 8/04.

~Ron

SwampDonkey

Here is some work a college of mine is doing near Miramichi Lake, 10 miles south of Juniper, NB. The harvesting is being done for Fraser Sawmills in Juniper, NB.  I've been helping with trail layout this week for a couple days. We are in mixedwood stands of balsam fir, red spruce, maple and birch species. The prescription is to remove the mature fir. Any softwood in the trails, except white pine are also taken. Its a challenge on some sites working with the terrain. I forgot to snap a shot of one of the rocky peeks I encountered today. 20-30 % of the volume is being harvested.

The Timber Jack 608B processor out on the yard. The crew has gone home for the weekend. Its Moose season. ;D

Felling head, close-up

TimberJack 230A forwarder, idle on the yard. It rests against the toolshed truck to secure the tools against theft. An all too common occurance in the woods.

6 foot tall, high flotation tires.

Here's some wood, red spruce and balsam fir sawlogs.

Here are some views of the trail network. The orange-black striped ribbon mark the trail network. Well, I guess they're not possible to see at this scale, sorry.

Main Trail used by the processor and forwarder, leading to the yard.

Side trail: trails are running parrallel to the camp roadway. There are several camps on in the road on Miramachi Lake.

Trails are spaced 15 meters apart. All watercourses and wet areas are flagged and buffered from machine travel.

Here's a couple views of the Miramichi Lake, autumn colors are beginning to show on the surrounding hillsides.

Some camps on the lake

Its been a warm and  beautiful week to be in the bush, 75 deg today.

Cheers :)

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Scott

Ron, there was a little FT-133 that worked around here for a few years. They used it for final felling, up to 20 inch logs and almost all tree length. Also they had him working on some pretty mean hills. I posted some pictures of it awhile back when it burned.
 Swamp Donkey, looks like a really nice job theyre doing there. Those haul paths look more like nature trails.

SwampDonkey

There were some large spruce in there the operator couldn't get the felling head around, so had to go around them ones. :D  There were even some fir that where very close to being too big for it. At one point awhile back my college was told to take more wood. :D We are treating this area real special because of the camps on in beyond the harvesting. And them big overmature fir will stap off real easy in high winds. I seen on the leeward side of the site the snow has been mauling down the softwood regen, but them red spruce are pretty tough customers. I hate that when snow drifts and packs down on the regen.  >:(

Them trails look like nature trails in person to. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

Fabtech FT 1-33 Processor. Harvesting aspen. Deshermeir timber harvest; 8/04.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Fabtech FT-133 Processor. Working in hardwoods.
Deshermeir timber harvest; 8/04

~Ron

Ron Scott

Wood Hauler "All Show". Lee timber harvest 9/04

More Wood Hauler names noted:

"All Show"
"Finndian Outlaw"
"Out of Work"
"Bill's B Train"
"Power Stroke"
"Last Ride"
"Should Have Been Home"
"Dog Train"
"Big Guy" (Gee Jeff has a truck named after him)
"Scare Crow"
~Ron

Jeff

I'll know that I have finally arrived if one of the mill manufactures ever name a model "Big Guy"  :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

muledriver

I have some pics of our operation here in the U.P. Not quite sure how to get them on here. We have a valmet 544h harvester and a 5010 ltx iron mule. I would like to share them with everyone so any help gettin them on here will be appreciated. thanks

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

Good to hear from an Iron Mule user. There are a few pictures at work here. I favor them as a "low impact" and "light on the land" machine due to their small size.

It's getting harder and harder to find them and the existing ones are kept working.
~Ron

Ron Scott

Tree Faller Prepares to Buck Sugar Maple Tree. The sugar maple tree has been fallen and limbed. It is now ready to be bucked into sawlogs. Lee timber harvest; 10/04.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Tree Faller Limbing Another Sugar MapleTree. The tree is on the downside of a steep hill. It will be cabled tree length up hill to the flat on top for bucking with use of a 230A Timberjack cable skidder. Lee timber harvest; 10/04.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Skidding Sawlogs Up Hill. The Timberjack cable skidder is backed up against some standing trees on the hill top. The standing trees will hold the skidder in place while it is used to winch the sawlog trees up the hillside. The trees will then be skidded to and bucked in the flat field on the hill top. Lee timber harvest 10/04.

~Ron

Bruce_A

I also drop my blade and set the brake when druming in a turn.

Ron Scott

Valmet Forwarder & Timberjack Cable Skidder. The Valmet forwarder picks up the "cut to length" products from the tree lengths pulled to the hill top by the Timberjack cable skidder. The forwarder will carry the wood products to the landing/decking area across the field where they will be trucked to the saw and pulp mill. Lee timber harvest; 10/04.

~Ron

mapleveneer

These photos are of a New England Central RR train passing the station in St. Albans VT on its way to the McNeil Station Generating plant in Burlington, VT.  A 55 Mw wood chip fired generating station.  Chips are delivered to a yard in Swanton, VT where they are loaded onto hopper cars for the trip to McNeil.  This keeps the neighbors happy without the truck traffic.

SwampDonkey

I like the fact that there are still trains being used to move forest products. In my local area it was common place to have trains move wood chips, pulp and paper products. The train is no longer operating in the upper Saint John River Valley as they were removed in the 1980's because of declining business and increasing demand for trucks. At the time some serious flooding had removed older bridges, which the railway companies seized as a way out of the area. The old rail ways are now part of New Brunswick Trail system. They will only remain that way as long as the politics of the day allows it.

cheers

mapleveneer

Interesting information about the generating plant and where the wood chips come from:

http://www.burlingtonelectric.com/SpecialTopics/Mcneil.htm

SwampDonkey

I wasn't surprised to see the cost of the chips off the train were higher becasue the trucking rate is probably fixed by the trucking association in the area. Add that to the train freight cost and it's got to be 1/3 more, at least.

There is a wood fired generating plant in Fort Fairfield, Maine. It is owned and operated by a Canadian company, Boralex Inc of Quebec. Sawmills in New Brunswick close to the plant will send hog fuel and other waste residue they can't use as pulp. The source of most of this residue from New Brunswick is from crown lands and a smaller percentage from purchased private woodlot wood.

Click here

Ron Scott

Working Over The Timber Access Road. Final repairs and maintenance is made to the access road that needed to be build to access the timber sale area. The access road must be left in a suitable condition for future use by 2 wheel drive vehicles. Lee timber harvest 10/04.

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!