iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1270d

barbender

Our operator has been pretty happy with his Scorpion. A couple of things he didn't like- one, he said it turns like a John Deere and two, the fact that you have to back out of strip looking over your shoulder. Both things you should be used to  ;)
Too many irons in the fire

Kodiakmac

Quote from: kculler on October 20, 2014, 07:03:12 PM
that is some nice looking cedar kodiakmac,  cedar was what i cut when i first started logging,  cut it all winter and dropped 15lbs and well lets just say i need to start cutting cedar again hahaha
kev

I had 4 trees that were 9.5 inches or above at the 48 foot mark.  I measured the tallest on the ground and it was 83 feet 9 inches - and there is a good two feet of stump. It had a bit of dry rot in the centre at the butt end for the first 3 and a half feet.  That's pretty good cedar for around these parts.
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

lumbertick

You U.P. Loggers must make more money then us in the lower half of the state... We'll I know you do you guys get almost double what we get for your pulp wood.. That machine looks mean what's the price tag? I heard somewhere around $700,000 before they came out

Ken

1270d  That is a sweet looking ride/office.    What size head do you have and does it have a top saw to deal with the hardwood in the background?
Lots of toys for working in the bush

1270d

this is H7 head with no top saw.  Tried it for the first time today, very nice to operate.

chevytaHOE5674

Cutting a first thin red pine plantation currently. Snapped a few pictures today in front of a deck of bolts.

barbender

Chevy, is that a Caribou model forwarder? What is your load capacity?

1270d, I'm looking forward to more reports on the Scorpion King. I'm waiting for the forwarder to come out that matches ??? What would they call it though? Seems it has to be something from the animal kingdom ::)

Ken, I don't think a top saw is available on any Ponsse head smaller than an H8, which is the head that is run on the Bear model. Our Bear has doesn't have a top saw, I heard we demo'd a head with one. They must not have found it to give much of a boost, cause we didn't keep it ::) I think they would be slick in hardwood, and the big aspen we cut (technically hardwood, I know). To be honest, most of our guys are so production minded that anything that slows the head down gets hacked into pieces and left, not the best use of resources I know, but that's how it is.When I ran processor for a friend, with no top saw, I would end up having to drop a stem and spin the head around to measure a stick because the top knife was hitting a crotch or whatever. It would have been nice to just push a button. I was just watching some videos of a 703 in hardwood with a topsaw, it looked real slick. Does your head have one?

chevytaHOE5674

Yeah its a Caribou leveled off its about 4 cord, if I really heap it up I can get close to 5 on there. Only really heap it up if I'm close to the landing or along the road.

barbender

1270d

barbender

;D I don't usually mound it that high, but this is a loooong skid so I want every load to count. The weight is fine for the machine's capacity, however today I had an overload issue- unfortunately it was in the cab. I broke my seat :o I'm getting too portly for my porter, maybe?

1270d

barbender

No, right where the pivot points mount to the frame. They are built too light, or I am built too heavy ;D How is that Scorpion treating you, 1270d? You're going to have to change your handle :)

1270d

whats in a name?  that which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet. :D 

Definitely liking the scorpion a lot.  not seeing the crane is huge, and the head is awsome.  rolls through crooked hardwood very well.   Also very powerful.    The machine is very comfortable as well, very little jostling etc.
The crane handles quite a bit like the Deere so that helps me too.

snowstorm

you dont worry about breaking a hose and having the crane land on the cab

lumbertick

1270d

What do you average per hour with the scorpion in hardwood?

1270d

I've only run it for two days.   Wont have any averages for a while.

lumbertick

What about the 1270?
I'm asking because I run a fabtek 133 a And we are thinking about getting a dangle head machine.. The salesman will tell you anything you wanna hear... Just trying to see what the guys that run them say..

1270d

what kind of wood and ground are you in?

lumbertick

Down here pretty flat ground and the wood is not to bad i would say average hardwood tree is 7 sticks

lumbertick

We cut 60 percent hardwood the rest popal and red pine

BargeMonkey

Thats the last pile I had down below, all stacked up in the yard, rained thurs and sat at the mill cutting firewood. 

another day of pounding out firewood. With him and I we average 6-8 cord a day including delivery. 

The header has a 6" layer of thick slime on it. 

Added a bit more to it today, have about 60 trees to go for monday and then move out while the weather holds, im hauling across the guys lawn. 

The soon to be "new wife" and I this morning. We have been engaged for almost a year, and had the wedding planned for July 25th. We scheduled engagement pictures 2 months ago, and about 2 weeks ago she got some very very bad news at the doctors, so tomorrow at 1pm we are getting married up at my parents lake. Oh boy.  ;)

thecfarm

Very very bad news does that sound good.  :(  Good luck to her.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chester_tree _farmah

Sorry to hear about the bad news man. Sucks. :-(
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Thank You Sponsors!