iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

Daylight on the landing, on a large UPM aspen sale (company land). Unfortunately, the harvester operator will find a flat tire waiting for him this morning.
Too many irons in the fire

BargeMonkey

Now thats a nice neat pile of wood.  ;)

lopet

Yup  it's gotta be somebody's pile who knows how to run a forwarder. 8)
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Maine logger88

The truckers must love coming to your job 8)
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

barbender

I try to keep it as neat as I can and still keep hustling. I used to haul wood and I know first hand how it stinks when the landing isn't right and the piles are messy. Plus, the truckers get paid by the load and I get paid by the hour. I figure if I make a mess just to up production a bit,  I'm lowering their hourly wage to do it. Maybe it's that Golden Rule thing ;)

lumbertick

Barbender

How much production do you average per hour with that Ponsse is decent wood

barbender

Well, it depends on the skid length a lot for forwarder production. If I get this machine heaped good, it's 7 cords a load. Right now the skid is almost 1/2 mile, I top the load off with big wood and pile it as high as I can, it has to be close to 8 cords then. At that, I get one load an hour. Last night a I was tired of the long skid, so I moved wood that was right on the landing and piled as much in 3 hours as I had in 10 on the long skid. Overall, I try to have an average of a load per hour I work, that includes time spent on maintenance, greasing, etc- if I have 50 hours on my paycheck I want 50 loads on the landing. The processor is probably getting 10-12 cords an hour in this wood- good production.

lumbertick

Does he cut them down or you guys got a buncher in front of processor?

barbender

No buncher, we never use that method. The numbers for the processor are in good quality aspen, 10"-12" dbh, 6-7 sticks and flat ground.

Ken

Quote from: barbender on October 15, 2014, 09:05:38 PM
I try to keep it as neat as I can and still keep hustling.

Everybody on this site can appreciate the nice pile of wood but only those who have piled wood with a loader can appreciate the expertise of the operator who piled it.  Great job.

Quote from: barbender on October 16, 2014, 02:21:47 PM
No buncher, we never use that method. The numbers for the processor are in good quality aspen, 10"-12" dbh, 6-7 stocks and flat ground.

Wow  10-12 cords/hour.  I need to get better
Lots of toys for working in the bush

lumbertick

I run a fabtek 133 and I average 8 cords in hour in good aspen and 10 cord an hour in red pine... Hardwood averages 6-7 per hour and I cut it down with processor... We tryed running a shear in front of it but didn't really help.. Only time it is good to run a shear in front of a processor is if you are going to chip

barbender

Thanks for the compliments, Ken. Now on the production numbers, there's a few poor areas on this sale where I doubt they cut 5 cords an hour, probably closer to 3. Small wood, and lots of brush. That stuff kills my production too, I only got 8 loads out today in 9 hours. A long skid with small brushy wood >:( The outfit I work for has some darn good processor operators no doubt, I have worked behind one (in a Ponsse Bear) that was keeping 2 of us in forwarders busy, in medium to large aspen. Around 140 cords a day. That's not every day, but we got in a groove where he was cutting 80-90 cords per day with just me following him, and he wasn't pushing hard. I know that because he was parked with his feet kicked up a lot ::) I wasn't going to call him on it cause I knew I would just be working longer days to keep up :) This operator was also on a Red pine final felling where he had 2 forwarders AND a skidder pulling poles out :o Understand, that's not everyday either, that's the job everyone talks about for 5 years afterward ;) As a forwarder operator, I know when I'm getting moved to different sales what to expect by wood types- decent aspen clear cuts will be getting put on the ground at anywhere from 70-100 cords a day, first entry red pine thinnings 30-60, winter black spruce 30-40.

BargeMonkey

100 cord in 1 day stacked on the header would be like the high point in my logging career. :D 1/2 a load of saw logs, 16-24 cord of firewood, some logs for us and maybe some pulp is about all I ever get in 1 day.

barbender

Quote from: BargeMonkey on October 16, 2014, 11:56:51 PM
100 cord in 1 day stacked on the header would be like the high point in my logging career. :D 1/2 a load of saw logs, 16-24 cord of firewood, some logs for us and maybe some pulp is about all I ever get in 1 day.
I hear you, but I bet if you went and got the million dollars and bought a new CTL team and were cutting the same wood, your pile would be just as big or bigger at the end of the day. Production is a very relative concept. If I'm hand falling and cable skidding by myself, I'm quite proud of 10 cords ;)

BargeMonkey

I gotcha. I wasnt breaking your stones, more of pointing out that region and wood type have alot to do for production. If I had to keep 90-100+ cord to the header every day I would be out of business pretty quick, not a lack of wood, I dont think you could move fast enough. Your seeing a touch more CTL around here but cable skidders are still 100-1 vs forwarders, i will admit it does do a cleaner job. I see a new 644K MH and a 100' stacker coming before anymore wood equipment unfortunately.  ;) 

Kodiakmac

Fellow who buys white cedar locally has this trailer/loader rig.  He hauls up to 750 bf. 
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

barbender

That's nice looking cedar. That grapple is unusual, I've never seen one quite like that. Is it a factory unit, or something he fabbed up? Bargemonkey, I didn't think you were busting my stones ;) I'm just pointing out, in my case, it's more the equipment and wood than the skill of the operator- trying to be humble here ;D I'd say my production is better than average, but we have a few forwarder operators that can walk away from me. It drives me nuts because it's not for lack of effort on my part. So my point was, in the same circumstances, I'm sure Bargemonkey logging would have piles of wood on the "header" that were just as big ;) I didn't take your comments as a dig at all.

Kodiakmac

Quote from: barbender on October 18, 2014, 09:00:30 AM
That's nice looking cedar. That grapple is unusual, I've never seen one quite like that. Is it a factory unit, or something he fabbed up?

Yup, I've got some nice cedar.  May as well log it before the woodpeckers ventilate it!

He can handle 22 ft logs on his mill.  He needs 9.5 inches s.e.d. - he squares the cedar for log houses.

The loader has "CHARGO" printed on it.  The rig is made somewhere in Quebec.  I'll get the name of the industry from him.  It has 4 initials - something along the lines of BMJP Industries...or something like that.
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

mad murdock

A really awesome videl I found on YT, shouing how it was done "back in the day" in the PNW.  Those old steam donks could really move the logs, and fast!!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0K5XwmGmuw
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Skidder Kev

that is some nice looking cedar kodiakmac,  cedar was what i cut when i first started logging,  cut it all winter and dropped 15lbs and well lets just say i need to start cutting cedar again hahaha
kev

lopet

Great video      thanks for sharing
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

1270d

Start learning to run it tomorrow

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

chevytaHOE5674

1270D where are you cutting at?

Too bad the Scorpion doesn't have space for a passenger as I'd love to take a ride in it.

barbender

On his lap ;D I didn't know you were getting a Scorpion, 1270d. Is it a Scorpion King? I haven't worked around ours yet.

Thank You Sponsors!