iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie_C

That's pretty decent wood Ken ... since we went back to work in May we have averaged 0.09m3 per tree

mudfarmer

Hello everybody! This is my first post here but have been following along with your adventures for quite a while now.

Just wanted to share pics of my new skidder... It is a 1950s FWD Corp "Blue Ox" straight frame skidder with International 6cyl gas engine, 5spd transmission with hi/low transfer case and a Carco winch.

I saved it from the scrapyard and it is going to get a new lease on life. Wish me luck!!! :)

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

luvmexfood

Welcome and good luck. Age is just a number. At least that is what I tell this cute little thing at the corner store I stop at. HA..

Seriously. I was out working on the farm the other day and heard an unmistakeable sound. A putt putt John Deere Tractor. At least thats what we used to call them. Sounds like each time it hits is the last. The farm across the hollow used to have one and may still have. They still used it in the 70s and I guess still do sometimes. Once you hear one working you will never forget the sound.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

sawguy21

That Blue Ox skidder is certainly an interesting piece with it's ROPS. ;D Let us know how it works out.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ron Scott

Yes, good luck with it. Keep us posted on its progress.
~Ron

Ron Scott

A modern John Deere 1510E double bunk forwarder at work for high production.

~Ron

Jamie_C

1270d

how has the 622 been?  what are the faults? Do you process all roadside, or in the woods behind a buncher.

Ken

Thanks for the pics.  Ron, the John Deere E series forwarders are quite common here.  Wish one was in my budget.

Jamie_C  I bet that bad boy loves fuel.  What do you burn/hr?
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Jamie_C

1270d ... we process at the stump behind a pair of Tigercat 870 bunchers, only trouble with the head so far has been the computer module that controls the bottom knife. Currently it is jury rigged by being wired to open and close with the feed wheel arms, it's a pain in really limby/crooked wood but I deal with it ... boss doesn't want to fix it properly

Ken, actually for a machine that tips the scales at about 27 tonnes with the head the old girl sips fuel. It has the Mercedes engine, we can get four shifts out of a tank of fuel (957 litre tank capacity) .. I figure average fuel consumption is around 20 liters an hour.

M Cook

I'm new to the forum, but have been full time producing for 35 yrs.  spent the last week reading this thread, enjoyed it very much, I'm for central lower MI and know a lot of the operators that Ron Scott posted.  On pages 23 & 25 there are pictures of a Hydro-Ax with a boom and processor head, that was ours and here is the story behind it.

Our Hydro-Ax dealer was Doyle Equipment and at that time they were getting a lot of used machines on trade without a good market for them.  So Joe Doyle and I came up with the idea of mounting a boom and processor on a 511, Hydro-Ax had done this before in the 1980's with a model 6200 which was a boomed carrier with a 16 inch buncher head on it.  This concept never took off however Hydro-Ax did get the bugs worked out of them before they were discontinued.

So they mounted a new Serco loader, reinforced the mast and main boom, then put a new LogMax 5000 on it.  All the tires were loaded for better stability, the pumps were changed to accommodate the boom and processor.  I bought the machine as an experimental unit, it had great speed and power but lacked good stability and  needed an extend a boom.  Overall it gave us good service and in decent wood averaged 250 cords per week.

I sold it in 2005 along with TJ 1010 forwarder and bought new chip vans, our main operation is flail chips for PCA in Filer City, MI

I will try to get some pictures of our equipment on the forum ( still learning ) 
Thanks for reading sorry about being so long.

Mike Cook
Mike Cook

thecfarm

M Cook,welcome to the forum. Thanks for the story of the Hydro-Ax.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

A load of mixed hardwoods pulpwood is about ready to leave the landing. Hintz timber sale 8/2014.

~Ron

barbender

I just never get over those Michigan trucks :o
Too many irons in the fire

BargeMonkey

I dont know how they afford the rubber. How many cord or tons are on that truck ?

clww

Quote from: BargeMonkey on September 06, 2014, 09:05:23 AM
I dont know how they afford the rubber.
I was thinking the same thing when I saw those pics. Man, that's a bunch of tires!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

chevytaHOE5674

Legal weight is around 50 tons/20 cord of wood depending on the setup of the truck. Most guys run more than that. Our truck normally hauls 25 cord and our hired trucker claims he can haul close to 30 cord depending on destination.

M Cook

It does cost a lot more to own and operate Michigan trucks, we currently have one self loader that can gross 164k and can legally haul 112k.  We also run 5 chip vans that are 135 cubit yards capacity with 6 & 7 axles under them legal to haul 96k.  We are allowed 11 axles total, with anywhere from usually 3-5 air lift axles to be able to corner.

It is very expensive to purchase these trucks and trailers, also maintenance is very costly, the mills in this state expect us to haul our wood to them cheap because we are allowed to haul so much weight on a single load.  They don't seem to care what our costs are.

The other diffulculty with our trucks is it takes a lot of iron to get them out of the woods when the roads are mudded out, also you need good drivers who are familer with hauling heavy weight, the wrong guy can tear up a lot of drive line.

Mike Cook

BargeMonkey

Pulling the bridge panels out.

1/2 done. The panels where 6x30 and 5-6 tons each. Approach to bridge was graded, seeded and mulch 75' from each end with 2 water bars.

Long slow drag out.

The woodlot im working on now.

BargeMonkey

Southside

Barge Monkey, that was not a nice name to call her,   :D :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

lopet

5 or 6 ton for those panels  :o   What are they made off , I beams ?   But sure is a nice way to cross a waterway.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Southside logger on September 09, 2014, 10:38:10 PM
Barge Monkey, that was not a nice name to call her,   :D :D
She decided she was coming to "help" me in the woods today, lets just say her future as a weekend skidder operator doesnt look too good.  :o

The panels are 10" thick, steel frame with solid HW beams filling the panels. I have a JRB coupler and forks for the 644H loader, and she knows it when you pick one of these panels. My barko loader will pick them but its not pretty.

BargeMonkey

Slow going by myself, finish this lot up next time I get home. Will NEVER buy wood thru this forester again. Back to the boat early Saturday, just in time to bring the boat back out.

Thank You Sponsors!