iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

Got back in my forwarder today after about a month off, moved into a nice little Red pine sale.

The big pile is 8' pine saw bolts, the small pile in front of the machine is 12' and 16' logs, and there are random length poles (or house logs, I don't know, I just put em on the landing ::)) behind the machine.
Too many irons in the fire

Okrafarmer

Quote from: redprospector on February 06, 2014, 10:48:02 PM
Quote from: Big timber little dozer on February 06, 2014, 07:42:00 PM
Quote from: thecfarm on February 06, 2014, 04:10:35 PM
Got a picture of it,so I know what I am looking for to buy?  ;D
you must be the only one who doesn't know because i am sure every one else knows. but i guess just cause you are a Mainer
Just when you're most sure of something, someone will prove you wrong.  :D
What the heck is an OC3?

OC-3's are actually quite popular in Maine. They are about the size of a smaller skidsteer, weigh 1.5 - 2 tons soaking wet, were made from about 1950-1960ish, and were made in large numbers. They came in several widths-- narrower ones work better for sneaking though the woods.  Wider ones were used for cultivating row crops, and in some cases were used with very wide track shoes for crawling on top of deep snow for special applications such as working the sugar bush, grooming ski slopes, or taking hay to ranch cattle after snow storms. Some people would simply bolt a long 2X4 to each track shoe for extra flotation in snow. The OC-3 replaced the Cletrac model HG after Oliver bought Cletrac in 1944. The HG was made for a few more years, then replaced by the OC-3. The HG and OC-3 looked nearly identical, in fact many of the parts interchange, and there are nearly as many differences between an early HG and a late HG as there are between an HG and an OC-3.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Ken

Quote from: barbender on June 17, 2014, 11:09:10 PM
Got back in my forwarder today after about a month off, moved into a nice little Red pine sale.

Nice dry landing to work on and tidy 8' pile.  I could use a dry landing.  Has the bark already tightened on the pine or was it cut earlier and just being forwarded now?
Lots of toys for working in the bush

barbender

Ken- no, the bark hasn't tightened yet. This wood was just cut last week, and yes, it is a nice dry landing. It has been really wet here, we had a wet spring and the rain just keeps coming down >:( There is actually some major flooding 100 miles to the north on the MN/Ontario border on the Rainy River.
This is a picture of my "pole skidder" ::) This is the first time I have had to move poles with the forwarder. It works about as good as you can imagine, not very much fun on this hilly job.

barbender

The bark definitely has NOT tightened up on the Aspen we're in. It's hard to make a pile 2 sticks high with this stuff, it is so slippery >:(

chevytaHOE5674

I feel your pain. Started running forwarder for a friend of mine 2 weeks ago now. The bark won't stay on the aspen to save your life, then its been raining every other day so the decks of logs just slip and slide all over the place. Can't keep the aspen in a pile over about 6 feet high before it just slides every which direction like somebody put a grenade in the deck. 

Ken

Poplar and balsam fir seem to be the worst to deal with when the bark is slipping.  We cut our poplar random length so it is a little better.

Corley5

I started cutting a small patch of Scots Pine today.  It's bark is slipping and is so slippery the measuring wheel on the processer can't always get traction.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

chevytaHOE5674

Need to remember to take a camera to work one of these days. Snapped these with my cellphone Friday of the processor working its magic on some 20+ inch aspen trees on a narrow little ridge that we are cutting.

1270d

chevytaHOE5674

Friend of mine has had a log truck for a while and now just bought the logging equipment and we are cutting for Plum Creek. Company name is MSP trucking.

barbender

Big step up from just a log truck, that processor looks pretty new $$$ :o

Ken

Like to bring this thread up once in a while.  We just finished a job and here is a pic of the new harvester waiting for its second float drive.  This time only 4 miles up the road.  This jobsite was alongside a public road which is always nice.

barbender

Sharp machine, Ken ;) I forgot, what are you running for a forwarder?

Ken

Quote from: barbender on August 12, 2014, 11:05:02 PM
Sharp machine, Ken ;) I forgot, what are you running for a forwarder?

Old Timberjack 610.  Although it still works great at 30K+ hours it will now be the weak link in the operation.  Will have to look for a replacement before long.

SPForesrty

Ken, sometime between 2000-3000 hrs we started to get some hairline cracks on the frame welds and feedwheel arms on our H480C .  Top knife also cracked along the bottom.   Not major issues but just thought Id pass it along so you can watch for anything.  I have around 3800 hrs on it now.   

1270d

what kind of wood are you in SPforestry?    Seems like we had 5000 or so hours before any cracks showed up on our 480.  Both roll frames had broken by 8000.  never had a knife break.  Mostly cutting hardwood, some very large.

barbender

Ken, when I used to haul wood, the one crew I hauled for ran a 703 like yours, I don't know which head it had but it stayed in large aspen most of the time. They had a Ponsse Buffalo King paired with it to keep up. I think they had a fair number of 100 cord days with that 703 ;)

SPForesrty

Cut plenty of big spruce and HW but lately it's been smaller spruce and fir. 

Ken

Quote from: barbender on August 14, 2014, 11:27:51 PM
Ken, when I used to haul wood, the one crew I hauled for ran a 703 like yours,  I think they had a fair number of 100 cord days with that 703 ;)

There will be no 100 cord days in this mess

Jamie_C

At least everything appears to be laying in one direction.

barbender

chester_tree _farmah

Wonder if it would be faster to have someone cut them off the stumps with a  saw and than u run behind and process. It's not really big wood. Give me a full days head start though. Lol
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

barbender

Quote from: chester_tree _farmah on August 17, 2014, 09:52:59 AM
Wonder if it would be faster to have someone cut them off the stumps with a  saw and than u run behind and process. It's not really big wood. Give me a full days head start though. Lol
The easiest way to cut them off is with a dangle head like Ken's. You don't want to have to cut them by hand. I always thought one of the Bell dangle head fellers would work dandy for pre bunching in blow down, when our crews do it with a hot saw feller it has to have a skidder working right with it. Then another skidder pulling the bunched piles, or a processor working the piles. We typically just use 1 CTL crew and keep it simple ;)

Ken

This is an old field site so the trees are shallow rooted.  Most of them were solid so they did not break instead the stump partially uprooted.  Really hard to get the stump cut low and not ruin too many chains.  Many of the trees and stumps can be pulled up off the ground before cutting the stump off.  This site is averaging 0.15 m3/tree of mostly (80%) 8' studwood and the remainder pulp.  Averaged 9 m3/hr yesterday.  Should easily average 13-15 on a site like this if it was still standing.

Cheers

Thank You Sponsors!