iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

The boots are from Husqvarna, my local dealer stocks a pretty good supply.
These are kevlar, steel toes and paks.

Ron Scott

Excellent Safety Tips for chain saw users from those with sawyer experience. The bright colors are life and limb savers.

Many of the chain saw dealers, especially, "Husky" handle the Kevlar rubber boots. The Forestry Suppliers Catalog also has them, the Swede Pro brand. I imagine that the other logger supply catalogs have them also. (See Forum Links)

Cedar-Eater, if your ever down this way near Ebels' Hardware Store in Falmouth, MI, they have them. They're a popular Husky dealer in this area.

~Ron

Ron Scott

John Deere 548 G Grapple Skidder. Tree length skidding Red Pine.

~Ron

Ron Scott

John Deere Grapple Skidder. Tree length skidding hardwood pulpwood.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Timberjack Cable Skidder. Small size, skidding tree length logs and pulpwood.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Cable Skidder, Older model, home built.

~Ron

Jeff

Pig with an Axe
Young pig, around 200 lbs.

(Sorry Ron, couldn't resist :D )

THIS PIG DOES NOT COUNT TOWARDS CONTEST!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Another Pig  Trimming stump height to please the consulting forester.

THIS PIG DOES NOT COUNT TOWARDS CONTEST!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

A good ending to this Thread as it dies for lack of interest!  :'(
~Ron

Corley5

It's not dead yet.  What's that homemade rig built out of?  It looks good.  Sombody put a lot of time into it.  That Timberjack looks to be from a distance the same model I've been running for the last two winters.  Works great in hardwoods.  The guys who own it have sold it and it goes down the road Monday :(.  Glad I'm almost done with it.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

DanG

You losing interest, Ron? I'm not! 568 reads says somebody's interested. Would be nice if someone else would chip in a pic or 2, though.  Thanks for the ride.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

J_T

Hey Ron Got any more info on that or another home built skidder?
Jim Holloway

Paul_H

I hope there is a picture here of a Skyhook used in my area in the 1950s. It had dual 2" skylines,and 7/8" traction lines,with a 300' dropline underneath.It was suspended across a steep valley.(notice the operator hunched over)

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Steve

I just had to pipe in here with a great book. Handloggers by W. H. Jackson. I've only been able to find it as a collectors item for big dollars, but if you get a chance to read it, do. It takes place in S.E. Alaska in the 50's and 60's. The technique at the time was to find a nice stand of timber that was growing on a steep hillside above saltwater and either fall the timber directly into the water or slide it down the steep slope into the water. Often the tree would hang up and he would have to jack it loose so it could continue on its way.
He and his wife would live on their little troller (boat) and raft up logs until the order was filled, then tow it to town.

Steve
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Paul_H

Steve,I read that book several years ago.I really enjoyed it.That independence,and the chance to make a few buck in the process is appealling.I wonder what would happen if we fell trees directly into fish habitat these days? ::)

Bud Man

I spect you'd be wearing stripes and looking out small windows !!     :D
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Ron Scott

I don't know just exactly what this cable skidder was all made from. Just bits and pieces from his home junk yard.

He was a firewood producer who came in to cut firewood and clean up the topwood after a sawlog job. The skidder was just able to handle the lighter topwood. It was a little under powered for bigger stuff. It was a conversation piece when compared to the fancy Timber Jacks etc.

This person was the type who just made everything from junk parts, his wood splitter, haul truck etc were all home built as needed. He had to pour oil into the wood splitter engine while he split wood; quite an operation, but not environmentally sound.

He bought an old big Ford Crown Victoria from the landowner who had it parked in his "bone yard" back in the woods for a number of years. He paid $25.00 for it. I didn't think that it would ever run and asked him what he was going to do with it.

The next day he was driving it around the woods to his firewood operation. He was more of an inventor than a firewood producer as things seemed to run without all the parts.

~Ron

psychotic1

Don't even think those sorts of things :o
Now I'm gonna have to look over my shoulder for weeks to be sure the envir-cops and the forest service aren't following me.  The get downright snippy if they catch you rolling a beach log back into the water.  And that's one that's already been in the water for awhile.  I've seen people get fined for walking too close to a "salmon stream" that hadn't had any fish in it for twenty years.
It was fun while it lasted.  But now Alaska is closed except for tourism.  And I here the "tree-huggers" will be starting on that next.  The smoke from the cruise ships is causing air pollution don't you know.

Bruce
Patience, hell.  I'm gonna kill something

Paul_H

Here are a couple of pictures taken spring 1993,near Pemberton B.C. They are of my dads two brothers,Harold,and Thor. Harold (with his back turned) started falling with axe and misery whip in 1950,with his dad.He said if it wasn't for power saws coming shortly after,he would be doing something else.He quit falling fulltime at 64.

Paul_H

This is Thor.He was 58 in 1993.He was a skilled and highball faller.In July that year a pine snag came down as he was falling a D-Fir and broke his lower back.We packed him out on a spine board,and he was air lifted out on a chopper.He never fell again,but is healthy and fishing now  8)

Paul_H

Ron Scott

Now we're getting into some of the "bigger" timber from other forest areas.
~Ron

Ron Scott

Iron Mule 501 C Forwarder. An old standby for short wood logging. Unit is carrying out aspen and red maple pulpwood to landing.

~Ron

Steve

Seeing the picture of the forwarder reminded me of this couple of pages of pictures I had. Ohia logging and milling the south end of the Big Island.

http://www.curlykoa.com/webpics2/Ohia.html

Steve
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Ron Scott

Iron Mule Forwarder. Carrying sugar (hard) maple sawlogs to the landing.

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!