Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redpowerd

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Ron Scott

Tightening The Binders Before "Hitting the Road". Yes, the logs will be going to the mill where Jeff is sawyer.
Dean timber harvest; 7/04.

~Ron

RMay

Ron what length is the logs on the truck , dose the log trucks have to have a wide load permit . ???
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Cedar Eater

QuoteRon what length is the logs on the truck , dose the log trucks have to have a wide load permit . ???

I can answer that. In Michigan, the limit is 8' for not needing a wide load permit, but for logs stacked sideways, they allow 100" (8' 4"). That gives the mill a tolerance.

Cedar Eater

Jeff

I believe The actual width limit here is 102 inches but may be wrong.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

Leaving The Landing For The Mill. On its way to the mill with a sawlog load. The sawlogs are in 100" lengths and within the 9 foot width limit. A wide load permit is not necessary. They must be loaded properly without excess overhang.

Dean timber harvest; 7/04

~Ron

Ron Scott

Bucking Sugar Maple Sawlogs. Working in heavy foliage and ground cover. Can you see the "two" cutters at work? Lee timber harvest; 8/04.

~Ron

beenthere

One on the right has an orange hard hat and the one on the left has an orange saw.  Had to brighten up the image to find them.  Looks like fun.  :)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanManofStihl

That is a problem with heavy folage it does not make that safe of a working environment but as long as your care ful I had one guy that put his saw down next to him the chain still had alittle speed and it cut this other guys boot you have to be real careful. You can never have enough orange
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

Ron Scott

Working in Heavy Foliage. Heavy foliage makes hard work for the cutters with added safety concerns. Often, all that can be seen is their "orange" hard hats and "orange" chain saws. The hill side work here also has added risks. Lee timber harvest; 8/04.

~Ron

SwampDonkey

I can imagine those thickets are shrubs and young hardwood. Add some balsam fir undergrowth to that and its like working in the closet with no view to the crowns of the harvest trees. A person has to take time and cut that stuff out for safety exits. I hope them trees are worth it. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

Yes, the sugar maple sawlogs in this area are worth it, but some tough logging.

This is still in the same area where we cleared a ski slope on last winter until we were "blown out " by the constant heavy snow. Earlier photos on this tread show the ski slope harvest and winter conditions.

Hopefully we will be done in this area in another month.
~Ron

SwampDonkey

Yup, I've been following your posts and pictures Ron. :) Hardwood on most ski hills above 400 meters in this area are nothing but shrubby short pulpwood. Look nice from a distance and in fall colors, but that's about it. Crabbe mountain has better hardwood, but its not that high in elevation. It juts up from the fringe of the New Brunswick lowlands.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

timberjack_teen

I found this website a couple days ago... its very very interesting to see the different kinds of operations that are around. I was lookin through all the pages of the different kinds of methods, n i taught to myself, "i sure would like to show these guys the equipment i run and work around" well... a couple pages later i see a picture with a 690stroke delimber and a prentice 210 slasher sittin on a landin. I found it very odd considering we have both them machines... i then scroll down and sure enough there is a couple more picutres... THen i realize THAT IS OUR EQUIPMENT!!! lol... funny how that worked. We have an interesting operation. 5 brothers and me a nephew. We run a CTL operation and what we call a "full tree" operation, what involves the slasher delimber fellerbuncher n skidder. I'm the forwarder operation. I run a 1110d Jack. I run behind a 1270d(there is a picutre of it one this site a couple pages back) Any body have questions?... i'd love to answer em...

Scott
Anything but PONSEE!

Jeff

timberjack_teen, who do you work for? Maybe I know of them if they work in Michigan.  Was it one of your guys that is on here too that posted the pictures? Thats pretty interesting about finding your own equipment on here!  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Yup, that sure makes for an interesting conversation finding out your equipment is posted in a forum and not knowing it. ;)  Timberjack_teen, stick around and I'm sure someone will throw a question or two your way. Just one thing, we kinda gotta know which page in the thread to look for that equipment before we start sling'n them questions, she's a purdy long thread ya know. ;)

This thread is probably one of the most popular threads of the forum, thanks to all the find folks that contributed and posted pictures.  8)

cheers

timberjack_teen

I work for Piwarski Brothers Logging. and no it was none of them that posted the pictures on this site. The pictures are one page 31 of this thread. there is 4 pictures i believe, one of the delimber and slasher, one of the delimber, one of our 850 and one of our 1270.
Anything but PONSEE!

Ron Scott

Timberjack_teen,

Piwarski Brothers Logging is well known there in Iron River and some good people. I was visiting Ski Brule Mt. and my friend Steve Polich there last winter and noted your logging operation going on there near the chalet area parking lot.
It had a good diversity of equipment in a small area so it made for some good logging equipment photos. I was never able to catch someone on site though. Were you working there then?

I'm from Iron River also. I'd like to get out on a "big job" with you some time when I'm back up that way.
~Ron

Ron Scott

The Noon Lunch-Break. The "boss" checks in with the mill office with his cell phone while his cutter sharpens the 395 Husky's for the afternoon's work. Lee timber harvest; 8/04.

~Ron

DanManofStihl

I always like to keep five or six spare chains so I do not have to sharpen them in the field I think that is a pain in the butt. Nice looking truck though f250 or f350. I have to wait for my dakota to die to get a truck like that.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

Ron Scott

Repairs Are Needed. The harvest crew work to repair the Valmet forwarder. Its' boom doesn't work due to a worn "O ring" in the control box. A large hex wrench  is needed for the job which they don't have in their tool box. They try to improvise. Lee timber harvest; 8/04.

~Ron

Ron Scott

A Load of Quality Sawlogs. Ready for delivery to Wheelers Wolf Lake Sawmill. Lee timber harvest; 8/04.

~Ron

CosmoPack

Finally figured out how to post an image!

This is a Prentice 384 in North Carolina processing Loblolly pine - largest butts 26"

Tom

Welcome, CosmoPack!

You're a pretty quick study to get it on the first post.  :D :D

CosmoPack

I had to make several attempts before I figured it out!  I've got a lot of photos of logging in the south and overseas too!  I've got to scan a few of them in and add to the gallery.  

Thank You Sponsors!