iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treeslayer2003

Quote from: clww on January 05, 2014, 06:51:35 PM
Those are some serious looking pines from the Eastern Shore. 8)
yep, n you got some down yer way.....or ya did, I ain't been down there in a while. you ain't real far really.

Dave Shepard

Nice! 8) What will the timbers be used for? That's my kind of truckload.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

kensfarm

Treeslayer.. man those are some sweet looking logs..  I'll take a load of 8 to 12 footers..  your probably headed in my direction anyway!   ;D

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

treeslayer2003

Dave, I have no clue but they pay better for the fat ones lol.
Ken, no pine goin yer way all hardwood goes north. we got little choice on pine now as only one mill left local.
thanks Barbender, we cut off at 52' now because of new length rules.

barbender

Most of the pine logs up here go for power poles, Bell Pole is the name of the outfit that gets most of the logs. A few go for log homes, a lot less than there used to be after the housing crash. And I've never seen a load of logs like treeslayer's up here :o They look like perfect cylinders.

clww

We usually cut ours at 16.5', unless it's a special order. We did a trailer load in November of some really clear pine trunks. I cut them all at 41' length, filling that trailer with only seven trees. :) On the small end, they had to be at least 16", and any size on the butt. Not sure where these were sold or what kind of $$$ they fetched.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

barbender

Basically, our pine markets are anything less than 20" is cut 100" for the Potlatch stud mill. A lot of beautiful logs are cut up 100" and sent there because they pay as much or more than log buyers, it's a hassle free wide open market, and they pay promptly. Oversize logs arr cut from 10'-20', with 16's being most common. When I referred to "logs" in my previous post what I meant was tree length. Either way, we have a lot of nice pine timber cut into 8' 2x4 because that's where the money is.

missouriboy

This is a question for the guys with small operations like the guys who are one or two man crew who just have a skidder and some chainsaws. How do you get your skidder to the job. That might be a dump question just wondering. I have towed a timberjack 225 on a big gooseneck trailer with my f250. I know that was to much for a f250. But now we use the log truck with a home made trailer to haul the skidder around.

Ed_K

My taylor weighs 20k so I hire a dropdeck @ $80. an hr.
Ed K

Woodboogah

Yep same here I hire out the trucking to move my TJ240.  I wish I could find someone local at 80/hr.  THe cheapest I can find is 100/hr.  Adds up quick.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

logman81

I have a guy with international dump truck and a 9tone tag along.
Precision Firewood & Logging

NWP

I haul a TJ 350 for a guy with my truck and trailer. It's a 10 ton trailer with removable log bunks.  When he bought the skidder, he hauled it from Minnesota to Missouri with a one ton dually and a gooseneck.

1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Bobus2003

Haul my JD440 and 550G dozer on a 20k lbs GN flatbed with my F350.

missouriboy

Bobus2003 what year f350 do you have.

Ken

A couple pics from our latest job.   

Tree length cedar merchandised to a 4" top.  Longest ones are 35'

Spruce logs heading out the trail

Cable skidder and power saw used for larger hardwood

Lots of toys for working in the bush

barbender

thecfarm

Nice cedar. Mine's all rotten in the middle that size.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bobus2003

Quote from: missouriboy on January 07, 2014, 07:19:06 PM
Bobus2003 what year f350 do you have.

Currently a 2012 Reg Cab, used to use a 06 Crew cab, and a '99 F250 before that, pushed the limits of the F250 though.

missouriboy

Bobus2003 whats the specs on your trailer. I am looking for one but don't know what I should get.

Bobus2003

Quote from: missouriboy on January 11, 2014, 04:18:59 PM
Bobus2003 whats the specs on your trailer. I am looking for one but don't know what I shouuld get.

I have Longhorn 32'+4' gooseneck, 20k lbs rated, tandem Dexter 10k Oil Bath axles running duals.. and a Longhorn 20'+4' gooseneck, same specs

OlympicYJ

Don't know what beavertails or tilt decks are running around these parts but to move a big shovel on a lowboy (4 axle truck, 2 axle jeep, 2 or 3 axle trailer with a 2 axle booster) you're looking at about $600 a move. Why most loggers with allot of iron usually invest in a lowboy. They pay themselves off real quick. Especially if you run a hayrack when not moving machinery or you have one of the quick change 5th wheels or move for other outfits.

hanstedtwr

Ron, have a  DC70d my self just wondering where this one is located. I'm in northern wi.  Have you seen many with processing heads on them the one I got has a 2 roller Fortec on it, a1300 model I believe.
550 Cat Harvester with fabtek 180 dangle head, 2006 John Deere 1010D, Conehead 585 Chipper, Cancar C 4 cable skidder, Dyna sc 14 firewood processor and many other toys

VTPettibone

Pettibone Master 12D Cable Skidder

Thank You Sponsors!