iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfm7fxfox

I believe it was. The other Pete he drives I know for sure did. Just picked it up from there about a month or so ago.
Dolmar 7900, Ported Dolmar 7910, Ported Johnsered 2172, J-Red 2186, Ported Husky 385, Ported J-Red 2258,Tree Farmer C5D,Timberjack 460 D.A. Grapple, 2015 KMC 2500 Grapple Track Skidder and 2005 Peterbilt 379 Logtruck

smwwoody

I thought it looked like their work.  the shape of the standards and the Hydra head board gave it away. 

I grew up with those guys. they build great trucks

Is the new truck on their truck of the month web site?

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

rfm7fxfox

Dolmar 7900, Ported Dolmar 7910, Ported Johnsered 2172, J-Red 2186, Ported Husky 385, Ported J-Red 2258,Tree Farmer C5D,Timberjack 460 D.A. Grapple, 2015 KMC 2500 Grapple Track Skidder and 2005 Peterbilt 379 Logtruck

Ron Scott

Fabtek 344B Forwarder. Works a hardwood selection harvest this past winter  January, 2013.

~Ron

Clark

Ron - What species of tree is it that the forwarder is loading?  I presume the one on the ground is from the same tree...my guess is beech but since my experience with them is very limited it's a WAG at best.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Ron Scott

~Ron

NWP

Those are nice looking trucks. I really like that Pete with the Prentice loader.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

thecfarm

That forwarder really caught my eye. I have never seen a short one like that around here.
You guys may have long trucks,but short forwarders.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

keen

Nice pic Ron. I like those fabteks. I see Jason Lutke has a 344b for sale right now.

Ron Scott

John Deere 1270E Processor. Getting ready to start a CTL pine and aspen harvest. A Ponsee Elk forwarder will be picking up the CTL wood behind  the processor. Dunn Timber harvest, September 2013.

~Ron

Ron Scott

The Ponsee Elk Forwarder follows the John Deere processor in the CTL pine and aspen harvest. Dunn timber harvest, September 2013.

~Ron

ga jones

My little log truck. Mixed hardwood Evans job aug2013

380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

ga jones

My 1964 c4 treefarmer pulling a 42 inch red oak

380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

thecfarm

You may have a little truck,but that loader looks big.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

Oak matts are placed across the wetland on the access and forwarder route to prevent excessive rutting and ponding by the CTL harvesting equipment.

~Ron

JohnM

Quote from: Ron Scott on October 26, 2013, 06:16:07 PM
Oak matts are placed across the wetland on the access and forwarder route to prevent excessive rutting and ponding by the CTL harvesting equipment.

Ron, are those mats 'tied' together (spikes, webbing, other?) or the cants just laid side by side?  And are they left to rot after the job?

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

stumpjumper83

Those look to be pipeline style mats that are 4' x 16' and 8" thick, and bolted together with 4 long bolts.  Yes, you usually save them for the next job as they are not cheap.  look up "pipeline mat" and you will see companies that specialize in producing, selling, and renting them.

barbender

What Stumpjumper said. I was out the other day retrieving some with a grapple skidder, some areas we put them in with the skidder because our forwarders can only lift the mats right next to the machine, they are heavy.
Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

We are having a power line upgrade. I see them things 3 deep in places.  :o  I see truck loads of them things now. And stacked by the roads waiting to be hauled under the power lines. When all this is done,I would think those could be bought cheap.
They use to make them out of hemlock in this area. I was talking to a logger and he was selling hardwood,maple, to a place in New Vineyard,ME that makes them.

Ron Scott

Yes, they are the type mats used for pipelines and power lines. They are carried out to the job site on logging truck or flat bed, placed by the forwarder and then retrieved when the job is done for use elsehere. The are bolted or cabeled together in 6 x 20-22 foot oak plank sections.

A good time to get them is when the power or gas line company's are done with their use of them. They often give them away for the taking.
~Ron

JohnM

Good to know, thank you guys.  I've seen those on powerlines as well Ray, just couldn't tell if those were the same thing that Ron posted...they are a bit 'rougher' than I had seen. ;D
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Ron Scott

The John Deere 1270E  processor works a CTL harvest in a red pine plantation. Bougrand timber harvest, October 2013.

Various CTL products such as 22 foot hops poles (becoming popular with the increasing brew makers), small sawlogs, and pulpwood are cut and placed for the following forwarder to pick up and forward to the landing. 

~Ron

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Gary_C

Nice looking red pine stand Ron. Tell us more about the 22 foot hops poles. I've never heard about that product here. Are the volumes needed significant?

Gary
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

thecfarm

I grew some hops this summer. Did not do much last year,first planting,but they grew this year. We did not havest the fruit.

Thank You Sponsors!