iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1270d

For sale. Used Peterson tree length chipper.  Cab and crane sold separately.

beenthere

Quote from: 1270d on June 25, 2013, 08:26:35 PM

:D :D :D

(I was slow on that one !! )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

VT_Forestry

Quote from: barbender on June 25, 2013, 06:49:32 PM
I suspect you would find that crews maintainence regimen to be lacking a bit :o

Oddly enough, they seem pretty good on their maintenance - I guess when things are gonna break, they're gonna break!

Quote from: 1270d on June 25, 2013, 08:26:35 PM

:D :D :D :D

I'll bet the operator got quite a rush.  I was standing beside a truck a few years back when the remaining bolts on a swing bearing broke and threw the loader operator quite a distance when the tower toppled.  He wasn't hurt but it sure shocked him.

He was pretty shook up.  The other guys were giving him a hard time, said when he came out of the window he looked like a squirrel flying out of a knothole in a tree when it's getting cut down - I guess he wasn't sticking around long enough to try and use the door...with 1050HP of chipping power running wide open, I can't much blame him  ;D
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Jamie_C

Quote from: barbender on June 25, 2013, 06:49:32 PM
I suspect you would find that crews maintainence regimen to be lacking a bit :o

I suspect that they will be checking the bolts on the loader bearing a lot more often after this, funny he couldn't feel the loader moving on the bolts ... the cab should have had noticeable movement long before all the bolts let go

Okrafarmer

Thirteen years ago I had to jump out of the way of a dump truck body that broke and fell over sideways under load. I jumped for cover and landed on my right shoulder, which I have had trouble with before that time, and ever since. My boots got covered up with gooey fermented corn silage. Thank God, nobody got hurt.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

thecfarm

This is a typical Maine truck,in my area, hauling 16 foot pulp heading for New Page in Framington,ME.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

logman81

We have the same trucks around my neck of the woods.
Precision Firewood & Logging

barbender

I wish we could move our wood 16', all of our mills are set up for 100" wood. This means you get to load a forwarder twice, basically, one bunk at a time ::) It would sure be faster handling long wood. About the only long wood we move is pine saw logs.
Too many irons in the fire

logman81

All the pulp wood around here is cut 21'.
Precision Firewood & Logging

Dave Shepard

That's typical for here as well. That one would look good in my yard. ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

wwsjr

All semi log trucks in my area. I saw one 10-wheel a month or so ago. Pine and hardwood pulpwood is hauled tree length down to 3" I think. Pine chip-and-saw 27' down to 10" top. Pine and hardwood sawlogs look to be primarily 12' and 16', two bunks on each trailer. I think some hardwood is cut to 10' for crosstie mills. 84,000 lbs gross with forest permit.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Maine372

you should have taken a pic of the other side of the truck. unless they replaced the hood the left fender got ripped off when the truck was just a couple months old.

chevytaHOE5674

It's like half of a "real" log truck.... haha :D

SwampDonkey

There still is a short truck or two set up like that around here. But 99 % of the pulp wood is on TT as tree length. Some are self loaders, so shorter stuff there. At one time it was all 100" around here, even in Maine markets we had. Now most want random length, or tree length. ;D We even have oversized loads that are not highway legal. Real high and wide. I'm telling you they really sway back and forth on the road. Rock a bye baby........... :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Maine372,George never told me about that one. The only one I know of was when Justin was coming out of the woods on a steep hill last winter and almost made it to the top and he lost traction and went backwards. George takes good care of his trucks and equipment. If something happens,it gets fixed and replaced. The left side looks just as good as the right side.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gwilson

These are some pictures of my own small crew operating in SC.

Hydro AX 411B

Oak Saw logs

Hardwood and Pine Pulp  :)
  Timberjack Making big pulls  ;D

JLeBouton

snowstorm

so are you telling us you are making the head for  barko now? fill us in

CTL logger

I believe I saw that in escanaba last weekend isn't the barko equipment repainted Puma equipment?

Corley5

I saw it too  ;D  The head does look Fabtekish  ;) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

snowstorm

Quote from: CTL logger on September 13, 2013, 06:07:25 PM
I believe I saw that in escanaba last weekend isn't the barko equipment repainted Puma equipment?
it sure is

1270d

So is the head for sale to other manufacturers as well.  Like john Deere?  I heard there was trouble with the measuring system on the one you mounted on the Deere. 

snowstorm

will it be another 6 months before we get the rest of the story?

semologger

is doing cot to length with a processor and forwarder much faster than tree length logging. i use a felller buncher skidder and a loader with a pull thru delimber. i would like to go to do all cut to length out in the woods. rather than tree length but dont think i can afford to make the change over. that would cost alot of money i dont have. also how well do the processors do in oak. i know of one timbco in my area and they use a 525 cat skidder to skid with.

1270d

CTL is slower than a buncher job almost all of the time.  Some advantages of ctl are less ground disturbance and the ability to leave an better stand because of maneuverability.  For pure production though a hot saw, grapple combo take the prize

Thank You Sponsors!