iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

german.logger93

@ ken
You are right, it is a skidder. It´s a Franklin skidded with a crane. In Germany the most skidders are modified with a crane cause the normal grapple skidders are senseless in Germany. We havn´t got enough space for them in the forest´s so we have to use cranes. If i can find a pic of the back of the skidder I´ll post it here. You´ll see than how it works.

german.logger93

PAFaller

You guys sure have some cool toys over there. Ive watched some videos of older 240 Timberjacks with the big butt plate and two winches. Always thought that would be kinda handy to have, you could either sort out your skids or at least work off both sides of a trail without kinking the cables every which way. If you dont mind my asking, what brands of conventional type skidders can you still get in Europe?
It ain't easy...

arbo71

Quote from: PAFaller on May 17, 2013, 10:20:42 PM
You guys sure have some cool toys over there. Ive watched some videos of older 240 Timberjacks with the big butt plate and two winches. Always thought that would be kinda handy to have, you could either sort out your skids or at least work off both sides of a trail without kinking the cables every which way. If you dont mind my asking, what brands of conventional type skidders can you still get in Europe?

There are still a few like Franklin, John Deere, Camox, Noe, LKT, HSM, Ritter, Welte and a few more I guess. Most of them come with a crane or get one before delivery. Even though cranes are very common over here HSM , one famous german brand placed a special crane- less type on the market last year: http://www.hsm-forest.net/hsm-805-s.html

arbo71

Here is some more from Germany - me and some pinewood for chipboard: 

thecfarm

Nice job stacking and thanks for the pictures.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Kemper

I could look at those photos all day long.

240b

In the third pic of the forwarder piling wood it looks like a masons line(string) strung out where the  front edge on the pile to be. wow thats planning. 

thecfarm

Good eye 240b.   :o   Now that you mention it,the fifth picture I see some too.
And I use to to enjoy seeing pictures of Southern logging.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

I just saw the string line, too. I guess it makes me not feel so bad, I usually get to make my piles on stumps and dozer spoil piles from punching the road in ::)

arbo71

The line is my cheap trick to make nice looking piles :)  Sometimes it´s very usefull and it only takes a few minutes to set it up.  Of course  I don´t do this for every little pile since I´m also able to do  without... :D

beenthere

Neat, straight piles are impressive, regardless how you get them that way. Good job.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ken

I like to take pride in my piles as well but they never look that neat.  Great job the truckers must love you.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

brendonv

Nice stack, wow.  Mine are always crooked and leaning. :D. Nice equipment, I love seeing what you have over there.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

barbender

I'm guilty of painting a dashed line once in a while. I usually put more effort into it when I'm forwarding a job on my own- we often have two or  more forwarders on the same job, all piling in the same piles. Then there is no sense in being that much neater than the other guy, I would just get frustrated ::)

Ron Scott

~Ron

semologger

i just bought a 511 ex hydro axe and was debating on buying a track machine with a processing head. but i bought mine for 20 and didnt think i would be able to find a cutter in that price range. a guy in the woods does pretty good just topping. i can finish up with the knuckle boom and delimber what he dont get

Okrafarmer

Quote from: german.logger93 on May 16, 2013, 08:18:23 AM
Hey guys,
I´ve got some pics from Germany for you..

(photos deleted for brevity)

German.logger93, what brands are those farm tractors? Some of them look like John Deere and others like Case, Valmet, or Fendt. I can't read the names on them.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

hillsidevt

Quote from: Okrafarmer on June 07, 2013, 08:47:13 AM
Quote from: german.logger93 on May 16, 2013, 08:18:23 AM
Hey guys,
I´ve got some pics from Germany for you..

(photos deleted for brevity)

German.logger93, what brands are those farm tractors? Some of them look like John Deere and others like Case, Valmet, or Fendt. I can't read the names on them.

Looks like a Case IH and a couple Steyrs?..

Okrafarmer

Yes, could be Steyrs. Forgot about them and several other European luxury tractors we don't see too often over here.  :-*

Still want a Lamborghini tractor for my birthday. . . .
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

VT_Forestry

This was something a little different for us...had a crew come in with a whole-tree chipper for a first thinning on some loblolly pine.  Pretty neat operation to watch.

This is a picture of one of the decks they cleared to make room for the chipper (there are a total of 10 different stands in this contract - 218 acres)

They are running 2 feller bunchers and 2 skidders on this job - this is a Tigercat 822 tracked buncher, don't see them running too often in this part of the state

Skidder pulling wood to the chipper

My kind of logging deck! (Well, it's a tool trailer, but still :) )

And of course, a logging job isn't complete without a small breakdown.  Ok, a pretty big breakdown...

Forester - Newport News Waterworks

1270d

The whole swing bearing came apart???   Whew, glad I don't have to be involved.

Ken

Quote from: 1270d on June 25, 2013, 05:29:26 PM
The whole swing bearing came apart???   Whew, glad I don't have to be involved.

I'll bet the operator got quite a rush.  I was standing beside a truck a few years back when the remaining bolts on a swing bearing broke and threw the loader operator quite a distance when the tower toppled.  He wasn't hurt but it sure shocked him. 

Quote from: VT_Forestry on June 25, 2013, 02:39:09 PM
This was something a little different for us...had a crew come in with a whole-tree chipper for a first thinning on some loblolly pine.  Pretty neat operation to watch.

VT Forestry  Do you get a lot of tree damage due to loose bark this time of year or is that not as much of an issue where you are?  During this time of year it is nearly impossible to due a thinning without scarring many of the leave trees

They are running 2 feller bunchers and 2 skidders on this job - this is a Tigercat 822 tracked buncher, don't see them running too often in this part of the state

There are several of those 822 Tigercats in this area.  Most are running CTL heads.  Very compact machine.  Thanks for the pics

Cheers
Ken
Lots of toys for working in the bush

barbender

I suspect you would find that crews maintainence regimen to be lacking a bit :o

Thank You Sponsors!