iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Timberjack 230A Forwarder. Working "tightly" among crop trees in a hardwood selection harvest. A. Jaynes timber harvest 2/03.

~Ron

TJACK

Ron,

How long is the deck on a forwarder?  Most of the saw logs in your pictures look like they are around 8 to 10 feet.  I know the length cut is requested by the buying mill, but can they manage a load of 16' saw logs?

Thanks,

TJACK

Ron Scott

The single bunk units vary some, 5 - 6 feet maybe, depending upon make and size of unit. I'll measure some up to check for sure. Most of the sawlogs are cut at 8 foot (100"), but lengths will vary. I usually don't allow forwarding of logs longer than 17 feet to prevent any damage or skinning of the residuals and crop trees in a selectiveyl marked northern hardwood stand.

They will usually place the longer length logs in the center of the bunk with the 8 footers around the sides.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Jonsereds at Work. A 2065 and 2054 are "rested" on a hard maple crutch block. Most fallers have at least two saws in their "arsenal". Usually both of the same manufacturer.
A. Jaynes hardwood harvest 2/03.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Logger's Pick-up A nice Dodge. Piotrowski timber harvest 2/03.

~Ron

Ron Scott

QuoteHow long is the deck on a forwarder?  Most of the saw logs in your pictures look like they are around 8 to 10 feet.

The bunk length on the Timberjack 230A is 10 feet from the "headache" cage to the back-end frame.
~Ron

Scott

Around here most forwarders are setup as a "double bunk". they can carry two lenths of 8' or one of 16'. Most bunks measure 16 feet alought some are up to 24 i think.

Ron Scott

"Lumberjill" Operating the 1968 Franklin Tree Farmer Cable Skidder. Piotrowski timber harvest 3/03.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Dray Attachment. Attachment for the 1968 Franklin Tree Farmer Cable Skidder to allow "short wood" forwarding. 10 foot bunk frame with 5 feet between stakes. Piotrowski timber harvest 3/03.

~Ron

Ron Scott

"Timber" The faller harvests a selectively marked oak sawlog tree with a "husky" chainsaw. Piotrowski timber harvest; 3/03.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Bucking Oak Sawlogs. The slash is layed down for an aesthetic appearance. The Valmet 544X forwarder will also run over it to break it up further. Piotrowoski timber harvest; 3/03.

~Ron

dail_h

Hey Ron,
   Wonder if any of those dray attachments ever made it down south- N C? pretty neat piece of equipmeny ,what price range,availability? Are you sure the Tree Farmer was made by Franklin? I thought they were two different co.s .I only live about 50 -60 miles from Franklin factory.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Ron Scott

I don't know about the availability of the dray for this unit. I think that it was more of a "home" built unit customized for this cable skidder. The current owner bought it all as a unit.

Yes, Tree Farmer and Franklin were two different companies. Tree Farmer was introduced in 1958 in Enumclaw, Washington as a west coast skidder and the Franklin skidder by the Drake Family in 1962 in Franklin Virginia.

The Drake family took over the Tree Farmer operation and merged the operation with their Frankiln line of equipment, retaining the Tree Farmer name. In 1990 Tree Farmer was sold to Franklin.
~Ron

Ron Scott

Pinched "Husky". One faller helps another release his pinched "Husky" from the white oak sawlog tree. Piotrowski timber harvest; 3/03.

~Ron

Tillaway

I think that costs at least a six pack out here.  "That old familiar sound of my partner hung up again".
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Ron Scott

Valmet 544X Forwarder. Grabs a white oak sawlog.
Piotrowski timber harvest; 3/03.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Valmet 544X. Lifts a white oak sawlog.
Piotrowski timber harvest; 3/03.

~Ron

mapleveneer

Two photos of my pine cutting operations this winter in Massachusetts.  although the snow was deep it packed well and skidding was relatively easy.  At least no mud!!

Rob

Nice pics Maple I myself cut alot of pine up here in NH also,but we don't load the log trucks that high..man thats a load  ;D

Later Rob.

mapleveneer

Yeah, the trucker took one 16 ft'r off when he realized he had too much on.  That one went with the shorter stuff in the next load.

Rob

Yeah I figured he must have taken atleast a few logs back off of that load..Nice logs though,what type of machine is that in the second pic??I'm glad most of the snow is finally melted but now it's getting pretty muddy man I hate mud season  :-/Where in Mass are you located? if you don't mind me asking.

Later Rob..

mapleveneer

The "machine" is an Allis Chalmers 5050 FWD with a Farmi Winch.  Yeah, I kinda work it to the limit.

Rob

Yeah I guess you do use it to it's optimum potential.. ;DSo how do you like the Farmi winch??I though it was small for a skidder..

Later Rob.

Ron Scott

Loading Sawlogs. The trucker loads the sawlog rig for a trip to the mill. Piotrowski timber harvest; 3/03.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Rig Almost Loaded. A full load of sawlogs for Wheelers Wolf Lake Sawmill. Piotrowski timber harvest; 03/03.

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!