iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_C

Very nice video! I would love to have that clear view in a Scorpion but then I think of all the wood that needs to be cut to pay for one and just keep on with my Ergo.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

killamplanes

In that 12 minute video I believe that I couldnt have hand felled and bucked those in an 8 hour day and u might have used 5 gallons od 2 dollar fuel :D
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: killamplanes on April 20, 2016, 11:25:28 PM
...and u might have used 5 gallons od 2 dollar fuel :D

Not sure on the Scorpion, but the Ergo I run uses 2~4 gallons per hour. So in that 12 minutes he probably used around 1/2 gallon of fuel.

1270d

Quote from: barbender on April 20, 2016, 10:48:37 PM
     What is the advantage of the barsaw head, vs. a hot saw? More control? Just curious. One of our contract guys just picked up an older buncher and is trying that method out. Other than that, we have a few state Red pine final felling clearcuts where it is specified in the contract "full tree skidding only". It basically wipes out all the underbrush and opens up the soil. The state figures they are getting their site prep for replanting for free, and I can't argue with them. Some of those will be bunched, pulled in with a skidder to the landing, and processed by a CTL harvester. Other than that, we pretty much just fall with the harvesters.

Often we work in Rocky rough ground and he will prep the skid trails to speed up the forwarders.  Digging and pulling stumps etc.  Also one cut for bigger trees.  Using the head to lift up the machine to turn.   Other contractors have harvesters fall the wood that the hot saw can't efficiently get to, we can get it all with this machine.  Except swamps...

The new machine is plumbed for a hot saw or  bar saw.  If it seems like a big advantage down the road we can swap.

g_man

Great video !! Thanks for posting. I love seeing how it is done.  Makes my tractor and winch look silly though .....

gg

MUDDY

That one stick looked a little long. ..

Ken

Love the pictures and videos.  Thanks for posting  Those TimberPros look awesome but they have not made an impact around here.  I would also love to operate a Scorpion.  The extra window room must be nice.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

barbender

I have no experience operating the Timberpros.  But I do know one thing about them- when they punch through soft ground, it ain't just a little :o  There's been more than one around here working frozen swamps that went down so far the top of the cab was below ground height ::)  I got to forward a job where the Timberpro had drove out in the swamp, sunk about 2 feet, and backed right out and called us to come cut it with CTL equipment.  I skidded the whole job right past his ruts, until I finally fell through on my last load :D That's the worst I've ever fell through, I actually had to throw my load off to get out.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

1270, what would you rate as the more beneficial aspect of the Scorpion harvester- the visibility, or the self leveling?

1270d

Quote from: barbender on April 21, 2016, 10:12:01 PM
     1270, what would you rate as the more beneficial aspect of the Scorpion harvester- the visibility, or the self leveling?

I would say the visibility.   The leveling and active suspension is great, but you couldn't utilize it fully without the visibility.   It's a well designed package.

1270d

A forwarder operator's favorite time of year, when the aspen bark is slipping.

RHP Logging

Yep bark really started slipping today. Easier to find the eab trees that way. Not that it matters anymore other than justifying our actions.
Buckin in the woods

chevytaHOE5674

Aspen and Basswood bark are terrible not only for the forwarder man but the processor guy and the trucker. Sometimes it wants to wad up under the measuring wheel on the processor throwing your lengths off and the forwarder and trucker have to mix a little dirt in to keep the logs from sliding all over the place.

But at least your working. We are still waiting on restrictions to go off so we can get back to work.

1270d

A nice sunrise with our new Timberpro

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lopet

I always dreamed about being in the woods when the sun rises.  Sometimes still do. :)
Nice pictures.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

BargeMonkey

Not cutting much great. Few 1-2 log pasture oaks and fw. 

When the going get tough, you start pulling cable.  :D  skid is so long from the back its worth while. 

A "little" pond we have been doing just up the road. 

Finally got my free antique squared away, move

it about 3 miles down the road when I get home. Working alone and this should speed things up.
The bank asked if I had some wood ahead. They kick and scream to finance forestry equipment but did the rough math on almost 800 cord stacked right now ahead.

barbender

lopet

Assuming you mean the slippery bark you're almost sounding a women , good means bad or  no   means  yes and so on.  ;D
Or did you bend some thing ? :)
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

dustintheblood

Running machinery and dealing with women are just the same....

when you hear something grinding, just smile and nod.   And then fix it fast.

Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Ron Scott

740 Timberjack Feller Buncher used on a salvage job of white ash infected with the emerald ash bore. This area of northern hardwoods was selectively harvested about 12 years ago before the white ash infestation, but the small white ash logs and pole size ash trees that became infected with the emerald ash bore are now being removed. Spring 2016.   

~Ron

1270d

The guys from Timberpro stopped by our job to take some film of our buncher.   Here it is!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jHZgawrlKU8

coxy

neat video  do you have much trouble jumping the tracks

BargeMonkey

Every manufacturer has jumped on the drone videos, love seeing that machine work. Why did you guys go barsaw in smaller stuff ? Got to ask, 4/5 of the bunchers around here are barsaw but it's because of stuff 24" up. New timberpro is 480-525???

Straightgrain

Cool video; thanks!

Machine and technique.

What are some of the reasons to harvest trees of that size & that scope (clear cutting)?

Will that area be replanted with a different (more profitable) species?
A parking lot?
Is that simply the size needed?

Thanks again.
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

Thank You Sponsors!