iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobus2003

Quote from: kiko on December 29, 2013, 04:10:35 AM
Nice to hear from u again bobus , are logging or buying and selling equipment? If you need any help with those tigercats, let me know I may be of assistance.  They are well build but different from the rest.

Still working for a utility construction company building all terrain cranes and diggers (pics of the completed rigs too come) and working hard at upgrading from the one man, saw and 440 to a fully mechanized operation. Got a boom delimber found, and maybe a Timbco, still figuring on a skidder. Just unsure what to get (working with those Tigercats was a game changer)

redneck logger

Nice to see Bobus2003  back ,hope you can make a go of things that skidder is a neat-o beast,long ways since the old stroke head and  cable skidder good work :new_year: :new_year:
got to love working in the woods

kiko

Why not get a knuckle boom, loader and delimiter, so much less maintain ace and expense of a stroker. Skilled operator meet mill specs around here without the auto measure day in day out. Even top size. That big skidder would work a stroke delimiter silly.  I have seen those  635 bring 13 to 15 ton per turn, but they don't  get around good picking up they wood, they need a small skidder dry decking at the main skid road. True story  A customer of mine half cut a track of same age wood with conventional delimbing equipment the other half was processed with a brand name harvester and the conventional crew cut out more logs than the harvester.  It was a bet and they flipped for which half got processed with what. More logs on the conventional side , maybe.  Operation skill me thinks. I do under stand southern logging is different and the methods are different.  So there is the disclaimer  for feeling the processor or stroker is a waste of time and money, cause they are around here. 

Bobus2003

Kiko, that 635 came out of Southern Georgia.. Its not a machine that can/could be used here very well. Most our timber sales are too small with leave trees to close. I bought it and had it shipped up here and we outfitted it with a 27' pressure drill.
I know what your saying about a boom delimber, especially after watching an operation in Florida/Georgia this summer, but the limbs we have on the P-Pine would tear up a knuckle boom and limber where the Timberline booms were built for these trees. My biggest problem currently is what brand of skidder to go after. I've ran many Deeres and really liked them so I thought a 648/748 would be good, but after seeing and running the Tigercat 630B I think one of them would be a big producer compared to the Deeres unless it was a 848..

kiko

Did you remove any of the grapple boom parts to fit the drill?  If so I might be interested in purchasing those parts from you employer if they are so inclined.

Bobus2003

Mark Wentzell

I thought I'd put some pictures on here from some of our harvesting labs this fall.

First off is a john deere 700 series buncher working in a mixedwood clearcut.

Whole trees were taken to roadside by an 848h grapple skidder.

A 2054 processor delimbed and bucked at roadside. Not sure what Warratah head was on this machine. (Sorry for the Picture quality, it was a bright day)

The logs were then sorted by a loader (No picture for that). There were 5 or 6 different  products being cut here. The smaller diameter stems were being chipped for hog fuel or pulp chips.

JohnM

Quote from: Mark Wentzell on January 02, 2014, 07:29:26 PM
The smaller diameter stems were being chipped for hog fuel or pulp chips.
Showing my ignorance here but what is "hog fuel"?  Great pics/write-up, Mark.
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

beenthere

Hog fuel likely (or can sometimes) mean it is being shipped to someone running a co-gen system, and burning the chipped (hogged) wood for heat and/or electricity.

Sometimes the chipper is referred to as the "hog".
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mark Wentzell

Quote from: JohnM on January 03, 2014, 09:43:08 AM
Quote from: Mark Wentzell on January 02, 2014, 07:29:26 PM
The smaller diameter stems were being chipped for hog fuel or pulp chips.
Showing my ignorance here but what is "hog fuel"?  Great pics/write-up, Mark.

Hog fuel is basically the same as pulp chips except the bark, branches and leaves/needles are chipped as well. Like beenthere said it's used in cogen plants or burned for heat.

Next few are from a "commercial thinning" in a mixed stand of spruce and fir. There were two different methods used here, the first was a short wood system utilizing a kioti forester manufactured by payeur distributions out of quebec.

The forester is a stock kioti tractor attached to a metavic forwarding trailer. The tractor has full rops canopy, belly plates, protection for the engine and a hydraulic winch.

Mark Wentzell

The second method used here was a pair of draft horses (Belgians I think), pulling tree length. 

thecfarm

I bet those horses and a man that knows how to use a chainsaw can make a place look like no one has been there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

I always enjoy seeing the low impact and especially horse logging. The 848 and monster processor were pretty cool too I guess ;) Keep it coming.
Too many irons in the fire

MUDDY

logs layed out to be scaled and sold

clww

Great pictures of those ponies, Mark! :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Mark Wentzell

Quote from: barbender on January 04, 2014, 01:43:54 AM
I always enjoy seeing the low impact and especially horse logging. The 848 and monster processor were pretty cool too I guess ;) Keep it coming.
There's definitely applications for both. A lot of landowners like the horses and the tractor for how low impact they are. Both methods are also not that bad production wise, the forester put up about 10 cords for the day. And that was with a bunch of people all trying to learn how to run it, in really crappy wood. The horses put up less wood but I think we were slowing them down :D 

barbender

Yeah, quit petting the work horses :D
Too many irons in the fire

treeslayer2003

treeslayer2003

ha! it worked, I may have this figured out.

thecfarm

treeslayer,are those logs you cut? What kind and where are the logs going to be used for.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

treeslayer2003

treeslayer2003

Quote from: thecfarm on January 05, 2014, 01:33:54 PM
treeslayer,are those logs you cut? What kind and where are the logs going to be used for.
yes sir, yellow pine going to the mill. they will make large timbers from those. 12x12 and such. pics is kinda tricky here, just tryin show y'all what I do.

1270d

Slayer your pics always have nice sticks.   

I just upload pics into my gallery, then copy and paste the link in the pic description into my post.  Found its the easiest way on a smartphone.

clww

Those are some serious looking pines from the Eastern Shore. 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

treeslayer2003

thanks guys, I have been fortunate to be in nice timber for a while. the big boys with cutters and delimbers don't really like to do selections so I do mostly stay in oversize. copy n paste, gotta try that.

Thank You Sponsors!