Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StIhL_MaGnUm_1

Ron,

There's nothing like seeing a Slasher at it's BEST  ;D

Do you have any more pics??

Rob.

Ron Scott

Where in the "Rain Forest" are you and what kind of logs?
~Ron

Ron Scott

Hood Slasher processes aspen products.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Hood Slasher processing and decking aspen pulpwood

~Ron

Ron Scott

Two New Cat 525B Grapple Skidders. New to the job. The one on the right has smaller tires for working pine plantation rows.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Some Armor Here. Two Cat 525 B Grapple Skidders and Hydro Ax 511 EX with sawhead.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Valmet 544X Forwarder. Loading variable length oak sawlogs.

~Ron

Ron Scott

John Deere 648 Grapple Skidder. Working on 5 Oaks Hunt Club Timber Harvest.

~Ron

StIhL_MaGnUm_1

Ron,
  That kinda reminds me of my skidder a little bit,I' ve been cutting and skidding alot of whiet and yellow Pine as of late,in fact I just bought a new 385XP Husqvarna for some felling and a brand new ;D '02 John Deere 748G dual function grapple skidder,Very nice machine though.I'll post some pics asap

Rob..

Ron Scott

John Deere 648 Grapple Skidder. Skidders may be used for various purposes. Here its used to push the "pay load" of aspen pulpwood out over the sandy access road.

~Ron

StIhL_MaGnUm_1

Here's another one of my 748's in Colebrook N.H. in June 02

Ron Scott

Valmet 544X Forwarder. It is also used in pushing the aspen "pay load" over the sandy access road from the harvest area. Note oak logs on bunk for weight.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Pulpwood Haulers backed up. Two rigs backed up on sandy section of seasonal county road awaiting a pull and push from skidders. Five Oaks Hunt Club Timber Harvest.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Truck Names. Loggers often name their hauling rigs.
This one is "Hard Times".

This one is named "Your Next".

~Ron

Jeff

O.K. Ron, be careful. There are some names that come into our mill we aint posting here :D

I dont know how they go down the road like that.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

Yes, some are unprintable, but a library in themselves.
~Ron

StIhL_MaGnUm_1

Just thought I'd say HI ;D ;D 8)

Later Rob.. I gotta go change the oil in the skidder now should be a fun time...

Ron Scott

Timberjack 230A Forwarder. The hardwood stand is now being selectively harvested in a second operation after the red pine selective thinning.

The infastructure of access road, landing, etc. were put in first during the red pine thinning.These are now being used for the hardwood harvest at a higher value and less cost.

Cay Newhouse Hardwood Sale

~Ron

Tillaway

Roads should be maintained to provide adequate sighting distances.  This is a mainline haul road on the Plumas National Forest in California.  This road is driven by the public to access private property and recreational sites.  Log trucks were using this road when the picture was taken.

Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Tillaway

This is the same road as previous image.
Some roads are difficult to build and maintain.  This is the end of a section of road that keeps sliding into the creek.  It should be relocated and engineered to stay on the hill.

Also there are inadequate pulloffs on this section which is about a mile long.  

Tillaway

40" 16' Douglas Fir log, about 1000 bf.

48" 16' Douglas Fir log, over 1000 bf.

Cull deck.

Oak logs... no market.

California's lack of markets and high hauling costs leads to lots of wasted logs.  This should lead to lots of opprotunities for small portable mill owners but rarely does.  The California Forest Practices Rules discourage these opprotunities.  You will need to be a Licensed Timber Operator, and file a salvage exemtion with the Calfornia Department of Forestry to get these.  As a general rule, large land owners in the state will not allow salvaging these logs due to liabilty reasons.  You will have to have a minimum of $2;000,000 liability policy and you will not be allowed to mill on site.

Tom

What does it take to be a "Licensed Timber Operator"?  Could a Miller operate under a Broker's insurance policy?
If the wood is on Privately owned land, why couldn't the miller mill on site?  I don't understand where the landowner loses the right to process his own trees.  If the miller were milling the salvage logs for the landowner, would the State still prohibit the operation?  Would the landowner then have to be a "Licensed Timber Operator"?

How does the State explain the logs left in the woods to Environmentalist Whacko's when there is a market for the salvaged wood?  I would think that the Government could encur as much grief over this as the landowner may encur from the Wackos for harvesting in the first place.

Just trying to understand because obviously, I don't.  ???

I sure wish I could get my saw to those logs. :)

Tillaway

Good questions Tom.

In these pictures these logs belong to a large industrial land owner with no milling capacity.

Large land owners in California are very shy about liabilty.  They believe that the economic gain is overshadowed by the possibilty of a lawsuit caused by the operation. (Fire, accident on the road etc.)  Also, many times it will cost more to process the paperwork than the logs are worth.

You only lose the right to process your own trees when you sell the lumber or other final product.  You used to be able to cut and process your own trees for personal consumption with any regs.  This was abused (Large Ski Resort near Tahoe) and now the regs apply but to what extent I don't know.

To harvest any logs in California even on your own land you have to be a LTO.  This includes firewood.

A miller can mill logs... just don't ask any questions about the logs source.  The miller will not get in trouble... the land owner will.

Insurance requirements are up to the land owner, most require $2,000,000 or more.  The state will not issue an LTO license without proof of $1,000,000 logger broad form.  A land owner can get this requirement waved if they log on their own land only.

Thank You Sponsors!