iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homestead philosophy, Self reliant, Stuborn, or simple minded?

Started by Buzz-sawyer, July 23, 2005, 04:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joelmar10

Now that's preparedness thinking, GOI!  I never would have thought of that.  Especially since here in tornado country the water heater would likely end up in a field down the road.  My personal view is that a power outage during a midwest snowstorm requires a conventional gas fired tank-type water heater (i.e. nice hot shower).
I used to think I could fix DanG near anything...now I know I can...or I think I can...or maybe I can?

SwampDonkey

Quote from: bitternut on August 09, 2006, 10:15:11 PM
SwampDonkey are you saying that you rent an electric water heater? I never heard of renting a water heater.

Yup, $5.21 a month. The oil company used to do the same with their oil fired hot water heaters as well.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pie

Buzz not so diffrent than you   Wife canes and frezes enough to carry us all year then some. I trade or swap for all I can. If I'm broke we just don't do anything. Put my mill together out of steel no one knew what to do with and it works. My uncle and I built a forklift that will load a bundel tyes any where you want to and my log truck was once a fire truck.  Best thing they all paid for . Don't got much don't want much and not bothered by much . Only thing i'm lacking is a T9 
http://www.music-seed.com

Furby

Quote from: bitternut on August 09, 2006, 10:15:11 PM
I looked at those tankless on demand water heaters and decided against getting one. The main drawback I see with them is that you need one at each location which can add up to quite a chunk of change for the units and the installation.

You need to take another look at them. They have whole house units that are tankless.
Unless of course you have an unusually high water usage. I would have installed one, but it came down to a tankless water heater or the addition. Thinking I should have gone with the tankless. :D

bitternut

Too late for me now Furby since the job has been done for a few years now. I know they are big in Europe and probably the day will come when they will be the norm here also. Maybe they will come down in price once they become more common.

I don't know about renting an electric water heater SwampDonkey. Most electric water heaters seem to last at least 25 years or so with our water ( comes out of the upper Niagara River which is actually Lake Erie water ). My neighbor just replaced his a month ago in fact and it was almost 40 years old.

scsmith42

The current model whole-house tankless water heaters are great (use propane or gas - not electric).  They will typically pay for themselves in power savings over their lifetime.

GOI - I'm on a well (with a backup generator) so water storage is not a problem.  If you're on city water and want some additional self-sufficiency, one way around the water storage issue is to have a very large pressure tank and a anti-backflow valve installed in your house.  The anti-backflow valve should be installed in your main line, and the pressure tank will keep you in good shape for a while.  A tankless heater will provide hot water from the pressure tank, as long as you have enough generator power to run the igniter.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: bitternut on August 11, 2006, 12:01:17 AM
I don't know about renting an electric water heater SwampDonkey. Most electric water heaters seem to last at least 25 years or so

Yes they last a long time, our old one was oil fired and lasted 20 + years on hard water (lime). But, the rent is cheap and so is the power. Some months even cheaper than the phone bill. Also, it's piece of mind when it needs service/replacement with no up front lump sum payment. I think these days the things are only $300-400 though (plus install). Probably just buy the next one. ;) A note on the hard water....bought a water softner and used it for about 2 weeks and it's never been on again...cycled (wasted) too much water. Father was talked into all kinds of gimmicks to save money on energy. From what I've witnessed over the years, more $$ has left his wallet, than was ever saved from energy savings.  :D When I lived in Prince Rupert my power was only $75 for every 2 months in the dead of winter on electric heat.  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Buzz-sawyer

Still a livin the good life up on the white oak ridge.....planning on an outdoor forced air wood burner this year...HOME MADE of course.
We have a bunch of newer members...any of ya like livin inthe sticks and building the things ya need, or killing them which ever aplies?!?!
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

beenthere

Right down encouraging to hear you are 'back at it' Buzz.

Hope we get some pics of the new wood burner. Bet it will be a good one.  :)

The Buis house project coming along?

And how is son Daniel ?

And offbearer?

And sawing?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Buzz-sawyer

Hi beenthere,
Offbear_er and I often laugh about our conversations around the fire with you .
I have some pics already takenand will grab some more too.....
The house(that I have been remodeling) is looking good, ready for another century of enjoyement by someone :)
Daniel(my son) has gotten rid of the heavy HALO devise and is getting good upper body strenght....dressed himself the first time yesterday...he was proud of it.
Offbear_er(my daughter) is working as an apprentice carpenter with Buzz_sawyer and doin a fine job of the building trades, as she does her sophmore year of college.
Sawing is set to go I have about 25 hickory, white oak and honey locust staged and ready to minimize....havent sawn much of late....just longing looks at the mill ;) :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Furby

Don't temp me Buzz, ya know I wanna see that mill run one of these days!

Tell us about the forced air outdoor wood burner.
Is it like the one in this thread?
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=21747.0

Buzz-sawyer

Yea Furby,
It is a similiar typ set up , except a larger door, and longer burn box....read between the lines...Don hates cutting wood into bit sized bits :D :D :D

I also have a boiler project working right now....but it runs off of a 100% efficient propane infra-red burner. Thats a seperate story ehh?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Furby

sawguy21

Hey Buzz, good to hear about Daniel. Sounds like he will do just fine  8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

;) [at the forum]

Ok Buzz, since this is a Self Reliant-Homsteader thread....I wanted to ask you if you knew what 'water glass' was.  My grandmother used it. Apparently, there are many uses for it. :)

Bro. Noble

Well, SD,  mjy name ain't Buzz,  but since he's sometimes gone for a while,  I'll go ahead and answer your questiom ;D  Water glass is , the best I remember,  sodium silicate.  It comes in a liquid form and looks like water,  but when it dries it hardens and looks like glass.  You can get it at your local pharmacy.  I don't know why they call it 'waterglass' ::)

I use it when loading brass shot shells with black powder.  After putting in the shot,  a cardboard disc is placed over the shot and then a little 'water glass is poured over the disc.  That's probably what your Grandma used it for too :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

tcsmpsi

We called it liquid glass, and used for several different things, but most notably, we used it for fixing leaking radiators.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Radar67

It is also used as the glue to close cardboard boxes.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

SwampDonkey

Grandma used it to preserve uncooked eggs for the winter months. Put 1 part water glass into 10 parts water (boiled and cooled), put your eggs in a crock and cover the eggs with the solution so that there is at least 2 inches of solution over the eggs. If you boil the eggs used in this preservative you take a pin and prick a hole into it for the air to enter/escape because the 'water glass' makes the shell non pourous.  ;D

My uncle couldn't remember how it was used, but I found the recipe off the net.

It can also be used as a wood preservative from insect damage and adds flame retardent properties.[source] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_glass

There's other info on there to.

The name makes sense to me because glass in Silicon Oxide, right?  ;)

My uncle asked in town some time ago for it and they had no clue.

woodbowl

QuoteIt can also be used as a wood preservative from insect damage and adds flame retardent properties.[

Isn't that the active ingredient in timbersil?  http://www.timbersil.com/
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

SwampDonkey

that link seems to be defunct.

Another thing about water glass is that it is water soluable and takes on mositer like salt. Unless it gets treated in a way to repell water it's been denied uses as fire retardent. I found that info off Wikipedia also.

Thank You Sponsors!