iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WOODLAND SAWMILLS

Started by ex-Engineer Wannabe, July 23, 2005, 10:41:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ex-Engineer Wannabe

Hi, all!  :)

I recently visited a man in Miss that operates a Wood Mizer LT40 Hydraulic Bandmill. As we were talking, he mentioned that he likes the VERTICAL bandmills made by a company called WOODLAND MANUFACTURING.

After a very thorough web search, I've just about given up on contacting them. Nonetheless, I thought I'd give the forum a try.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO CONTACT THEM?

I think they're in Poplar Bluff, MO, but the only number I found for them -- 573.785.3810 -– doesn't work! I even called the Chamber of Commerce there -- to no avail.

Anyway, I'm interested in learning more about the vertical band technology, so any help or thoughts would be most welcome.

Have a great day,
Bill

PS - I've seen Woodland brand mills on the Sawmill Exchange site, so they definitely do (or did) exist...promise :D
"Measure twice, cut once" -- Don't know who coined this one, but he was pretty wise.

D._Frederick

Going by what I have seen on the Web, they were sold to another sawmill mfg that also has gone out of business.

Glad to see a new member!

ex-Engineer Wannabe

Thanks for the reply, D!

Well...I guess the whole vertical bandmill thing didn't catch on?  It's a shame, because the concept is certainly interesting.

Thanks again, :)
B
"Measure twice, cut once" -- Don't know who coined this one, but he was pretty wise.

Smakman

I went to watch one work once.  I was very impressed with everything except the price (at about $40,000).  I don't think I have seen a mill that was set up better for ease of use.  The only time an operator had to leave the spot he stood on was to load logs and to moved stacked lumber.  An edger was even part of the mill.  When the lumber returned to the operator to be stacked it was done.
Cooks HD3238
Bobcat T320
Kioti 7320
Stihl 550i
Stihl 044

ex-Engineer Wannabe

Thanks, Smakman.

Was that a Woodland you saw?  Yes, the Wood-Mizer operator I visited did mention that the Woodland mill was expensive.  But, more importantly, he said it was his preferred mill.  Anyway, that's why I've been researching the vertical design.

Have a great one,  ;D
B

AtLast

DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!.....from EVERY angle and EVERY application.....the addidge " one mans food is anothers poison" is so true....I know my choice was accurate  ;)....but you may find pros and cons on ANY mill....you just have to research research research......and follow your intestional fortitude....good luck ...be safe and have fun

woodbowl

Hello B in NOLA,
      Glad to have you on the forum.   Dennis Woodland owned Woodland Mfg. He told me he designed the mill to be a one man operation. I don't know what happened that made him go out of buisness. I see his son every year at the sun-n-fun fly-in in Lakeland Fl. This past April he told me that he  just decided not to do it anymore. No details or anything. I didn't press him either. I almost bought a Woodland several years ago because of the one man feature. I see one every now and then on sawmill exchange. All you can do now is find a fellow that owns and operates a Woodland on a regular basis. Get educated from his view point and make a decission whether or not to get a used model. I hope things work out. :P :)
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Ron Wenrich

I saw one working at a show a couple of years ago.  I had a video of their mill working, and its a pretty sharp machine.  As stated, you can still find used ones, but they are still pricey.

I've heard that there is an Amish maker in NW PA that is making vertical band mills.  We also have a member that converted a Frick circle mill over to a vertical band.

Other good veritcal mills include the Sanborn Minimax, but they use wide bands. 

Here's one you might want to check out.  http://scieriemsp.com//indexang.htm
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

ex-Engineer Wannabe

Thanks for the link, Ron.

It's possible that I read one of your posts earlier today, as I used the same link to see the Canadian vertical sawmill.  I think it was a thread entitled Horizontal -vs- Vertical (or something like that).

Anyway, the mill looks pretty nice, but I'm wondering about service after the sale.  The massive distance -- not to mention the language barrier -- makes me a bit hesitant.  Do you have experience with them?

I'll look into the Sanborn model as well...thanks again :)

ex-Engineer Wannabe

Thanks for your thoughts, woodbowl.

Yes, I heard that the owner of Woodland had some serious marital type problems, but I didn't realize that he had gotten out of the business.

It's too bad, once again, because the longtime sawyer I spoke with highly endorsed the brand (and he owned a WM LT40 Hydraulic).

Have  a great one,
B

ex-Engineer Wannabe

Ron,

If you still happen to have the Woodland video somewhere, please let me know.  I'd be happy to pay any expenses involved in borrowing it from you for a short time.

B in NOLA

Ron Wenrich

Alas. I gave it to a guy a good number of years ago.  He had a Wood Mizer and was looking to get something with more production. 

Don't overlook the swingblade or the dimension mills.  A lot depends on what you want to do with it.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

ex-Engineer Wannabe

Thanks anyway, Don.  It was worth a shot :)

I want to use the mill to transform my own trees into logs or timbers (haven't decided that yet), and into dimensional framing lumber.  The trees I'll be utilizing are mostly 30" or under, and I'll have a maximum of two in my "crew."  Once I've completed construction on my own place, you never know...I might just give up my desk, hitch a mill to my 4x4 and butcher up some other folk's trees -- and leave the rat race to the rats.

As always, any thoughts are welcome...
B

Wavetrain970

I know this topic is 6 years old, but wanted to put it out there about the Woodland Sawmills. Woodland is no longer in business. Dennis Woodland died a few years back. He was out of MO, somewhere near St. Louis. I own a Woodland K5000 vertical mill. It is NICE! It true you don't move from the controls very often. I am in Colorado and cut pine and some walnut from Kansas. I use 2" Lenox bi-metal blade. They are expensive ($90), but the best! Great mill to own if you can find one! Sawn one on sawmill exchange in Alabama for about 13K. Well worth the price!
WoodWise

R. Smith

Mr. Watson,

Hi.  Let it be known that there is one guy at least who is very glad - and hopeful now - that you posted on a six year old topic.  I've sent you an e-mail which I hope you will respond to.

Ron Smith

stavebuyer

I know of a Woodland mill for sale in the Crossville, TN area. Owner pasted away a couple years back and the whole setup was sold along with the bldg its in. New owner wanted the real estate and isnt interested in the mill. Its set up 3 phase electric and comes with a 4cyl diesel genset. Been sitting a while and more of a project than I wanted to tackle. Price asked was 14k for the whole deal..genset,infeed deck, rollers, edger etc. I believe the model was a 4000 and it was about a 2" band.

goldthumb

The woodland vertical band sawmill is a great mill last I heard from them was from an ad in summer 2005 , here is a picture , I hope to make a video of mine and put it up in the next week, cannot believe that there is not more info on the web for this mill, as when I researched and purchased mine, it was by far the best at the time,, and also not very cheap.
   can't seem to find where I uploaded the pic,, it can also be seen at Treeme .org

beenthere

Welcome to the forum

Pull up a stump and tell us more about your mill and when was the "best at the time".

We're all ears, and you can use the Java Uploader to post pics in your own gallery (set it up under your profile).
Looking forward to hearing more.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

danthe

There is a company in Quebec, Canada that market a small vertical sawmill.

http://www.jober.qc.ca

And I believe it is sold in the US by Cutterchoice.com

hunt

Hi, I just purchased a Woodland vertical sawmill, Im located in Sturgis, Ms. Is there anyone on here that is close by that can give me some pointers on a proper setup of this mill. I know nothing about sawmilling. I worked for a commercial sawmill while goin to college. I worked in the scale house and I can scale logs but thats about all I know. Any advise would be appreciated.

Magicman

Wallee is in Louisville, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Add your location to your profile so that we will remember.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!