iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ARKY 101-05

Started by ARKANSAWYER, July 22, 2005, 06:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

The University of HK was in Session this week and a course of ARKY 101 was taught.  Sawing, jawing and general messing around was covered in great detail to the satisfaction of all.  A few cherry logs made the ultimate sacrifice and soon were 4/4 and 6/4 lumber.  Chris and his new Super LT40SHD51 hit the farm on their way back to Memphis and spent a couple of nights and a day sawing.
  This is a cherry log being real good for Chris to saw.  The Cat made fast work of the log.

The engine ran just fine and was a very simple design which looked like it would be no problem to service.  It had lots of power to the extent that if you push the feed rate up the blade could bite into the log so hard that the engine could SMOKE the drive belt and not even bog down.  :o  This could have resulted in a falure but Chris being a Fire Marshal knew that smoke was wrong and took proper steps to stop the smoking.  ;)

Here is Chris sawing right along all by himself.  He has a Bibbyman complex already.  :D 

I even sawed a bit with it but had some troubles.  First every time I push the lever for the head to go forward I tried to walk into the console then when I wanted it to come back I walked backward so far I could not reach it.  ::)   Also the computer reads in 32nds and that messed me up.  I turned that little darling off and went manual mode and read the scale.  Did fine then.    Fine mill and Chris is a fine feller.

Professor ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Gilman

Is this him Arky?

I was driving down the road and saw someone sawing.  I stopped realy quick and took a picture.   ;D
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Fla._Deadheader

QuoteFirst every time I push the lever for the head to go forward I tried to walk into the console then when I wanted it to come back I walked backward so far I could not reach it.

Now, that's funny, right there.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Nice report perfessur  8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

ARKANSAWYER

Yep that is him.  I stuck the photo in the proper place.  It is really hot today and my mind is wondering in this AC.
ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

It'll take a bit to get use to the Accuset but after you've got it mastered,  you'll be hard pressed to go back to sawing without using it.  It is a pain to saw in the maual mode with an Accuset.

Tighten up that main drive belt and let it eat wood!

P.S. Wanda didn't get a little jealous did she?

P.S.S.  It's been over 100 here the last couple of days.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ARKANSAWYER

Bibby said "Tighten up that main drive belt and let it eat wood!"

No way!  Better let it alone right now.  He has already kinked one blade. With that much power no telling what will give and that console is not far enough away.

over 100 here today and humidity at 95% so I have gone to Mexican shft at the mill.

Wanda does not mind any thing orange and if it give her a day off all the better.  She has already done 7,000+ bdft this week. 
ARKANSAWYER

Chris Burchfield

A word or two about the Professor, the campus and his family. Don't try to use MapQuest to find Arky's campus, you'll be lost and about seven miles away from where you'd like to be. I was told the Professor would be working through Wed. afternoon but to come on. I arrived on campus and met Renea who showed me Arky's office and where I would sleep. She explained I could turn around at the end of the drive. The new mill and I stopped outside the mill shed area where Wanda sleeps. The temperature was comfortable in the shade for reading, this is the Ozarks and not as hot as the flat lands. About 7:30ish, while reading material for my new mill, I heard something. Looked and it was a Doe and a fawn off 200 feet away. I watch for a while, they were eating their supper and could care less about me. I was summoned to supper which turned out to be some of the finest Hickory smoke grilled pork chops. I was uncomfortable with eating before the Professor had arrived. It was stated they were use to it and not to worry. Sure enough, I was through eating and washing dishes when he arrived. We sat and talked a while. I explained, as a kid waiting on Santa, I didn't get much sleep the night before picking up the mill. I didn't get up at the standard 5:30 campus time, but was moving about 07:00 hrs. Coffee, breakfast and we were off to meet Wanda. I tailed with direction from the professor while he loaded and open some fine cedar. There was a good bit already cut and stacked. Late morning we went down to the new Super. The professor provided some good size cherry logs that needed to be cut. I don't know much but, I know this would/can bring in some dollars if you don't butcher the job. I'd never loaded a log and had not done enough at Mt. Vernon on pick up, to be comfortable. So the pressure was on. I was shown various defects about the logs both the cedar and cherry. The best approach for an opening cut, based on what would be done with the log after that. I did as I was told and soaked up every word. The mill would do just about anything I asked, even if it was a little backwards at times from what I though it should be on the controls. Though the 51 hp cat is a brute, a hard cherry knot will smoke a tri-belt while the 51 keeps on ginnin. By the end of the day, I'd learned a mill can lead to work but an edger will work you with a knowledgeable feeder. But a good time and fellowship was had by all. I can not begin to share how thankful I am for the day of instruction, which imposed on his personal time with his family.  The Arkansawyer and his family are some of the finest people you could ever have the pleasure to meet.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

customsawyer

As the Brits would say jolly good form ole boy. :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!