iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log stops and log dogs

Started by jrokusek, July 21, 2005, 01:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrokusek

Still slowly building a bandmill and am almost done with the carriage.  I can finish that up soon, but right now I'm starting on the bunks, bed or whatever you want to call the track assembly.

I should be able to cut a log 28" or 30" although I doubt I'll do many that large.  My question is how tall should I make the log stops?  They'll pivot down but I don't know how high they should be when fully upright.  Maybe I should make them out of plastic so I can cut through them    :D   (just kidding).

As for the log dogs, I kinda like the looks of the cam-shaped versions.  It looks like a half-round assembly that appears to be slightly offset.  Looks like you give it a turn and they cam into the log to hold it tight.  How large should the "cam" be?  I bought a few cutouts at my local scrap yard for a buck or two - I think they are 6" or 8".  Maybe size doesn't matter here.

Any other suggestions and ideas will be appreciated.  As always, thank you!

Jim in Sioux Falls, SD

Larry

I have a slip over sleeve that fits on the log stop.  About the only time I use it, is with over 18" logs.  I was using it in the pic because the log had a big dog leg and had to keep it inside the rails so the carriage would go over it.  Normally the log stop would be in the vertical position.

My clamp works as you described.  I have a tool that fits in the center hole and ya twist on it to cam the eccentric into place.  I think it is awkward to use...but at the same time I haven't see anything that was much better.

If your interested I can get some measurements tomorrow.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Fla._Deadheader

As Larry said, make sure you can get the posts straddled of the log. That's why we did the WM thingy.  ;)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

jrokusek

Quote from: Larry on July 21, 2005, 04:23:33 PMIf your interested I can get some measurements tomorrow.

If you have time to get the log stop heigth with and without the sleeve I'd sure appreciate it.  Thanks!
Jim

Brucer

Jim,
On a Wood-Mizer, the top of the stops is exactly 11" above the bed, BSM*.

* Before Sawing Metal  ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

EZ

I guess the best thing I can tell ya is to make sure you build them sturty. The first set of dogs I made bent with the first 30 incher I put on the mill.
EZ

Larry

The top of the log stop is 8-1/2" above the bunk.  When I put the sleeve on the top is 14" above the bunk.  Maximum log size for my mill is 30".
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Haytrader

These work well and are easy to make.

Haytrader

jrokusek

Thanks guys!  I'll post pic's if I ever get this thing done.  Too hot to weld right now.  It's 91 degrees today - supposed to hit 100 tomorrow.  I can deal with the cold.....but not the heat.  Hopefully next week it'll cool down.

GF

Slip some of that cooler weather down this way.  99 today and 100's throughout the weekend.

Haytrader

103 here at 3:45
Same as last three days.
And my A C quite on my new truck with only 7500 mi.

>:(
Haytrader

GF

You got 7500 miles out of the new truck before somfin broke?  Did better than my last two new ones, for the first two months they were in the dealer shop more than my house.  Just cant get quality vehicles anymore it seems.

Haytrader

I was at the dealer yesterday.
They tell me it will be next Wed. to get the part from Mich.
I am not a happy camper.
Buy a DanG truck that lists for $39k you would think they would want to keep a guy happy.
Haytrader

Furby

Part from Mich. huh?
I can get it to you on Sunday............... ;D

Haytrader

Never though about that Furb.
I could have had you bring er down.
You wouldn't like it here now. To blamed hot.
Haytrader

Furby

Yeah, ya got that right! :o
But they are calling for 94 here on Sunday, not a whole lot better!

Was sick for several days this week from the heat, not getting much done this way. :-\

Thank You Sponsors!