The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Black Cherry Management/Timber  (Read 5914 times)

Offline 4str

• I'm new!
    • Forestry Advisors, LLC
Re: Black Cherry Management/Timber
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2005, 01:54:31 am »
Now my only trouble is that after making all these skids roads nice and spending so much time on my property(although I have lived on it for 5 yrs), that I can see that it is super prime for a housing developement.  Now what do i do????  I understand my responsibility to my land, in taking care of it right.  What is my responsiblity now, balancing all the factors in, and their are many.  Or do I just SAY NO and put a conservation easement on it?   What if I die suddenly within the next 15 yrs, what will happen to it.  lots of questions.

Wisdom is a gift no advisor can bestow ...

Whatever..., I feel privledged to be the caretaker for my land, and hopefully i'll make the best decisions in the long run for all of us.  (which is all anyone can ask from any member of any community). 

Amen.

Offline Max sawdust

• If it's got to do with making sawdust; count me in!
    • truetimbers.com
Re: Black Cherry Management/Timber
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2005, 08:12:51 am »
GlennCZ,
Your question about responsibility to the land is a big one.  It depends how important it is for you. How much financial sacrifice you are willing to make.  If you want to avoid subdividing in your lifetime it should be achievable. You mentioned one good way to ease the burden by putting it in a conservation easement.
My brotherís family and my family own a substantially unique property; we are committed to never dividing in our life time.  The catch is what happens when we die; and how to make it easy for the kids that inherit it to not be tempted to divide it.  So far creating a corporation out of the property seems to be a good way to go, this way individuals own "shares" that can be bought sold or traded.  The other important factor will be creating the "love for the land" in whoever is going to get the land after you die.

Check the Plat maps in your area see what other people have done.  Up in Northern Wisconsin many families have created trusts or corporations and have the land in managed forest crop/conservation programs to reduce the tax burden.

Good Luck
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber